We’ve worked our way through the early Titan Comics runs, and now it’s time to zoom out a bit. How do the first three years of Titan’s Doctor Who comics hold together as an era?
Which of the ongoing series: Nine, Tenth, Eleventh, or Twelfth felt strongest?
Were there particular story arcs or one-shots that stood out as highlights?
I think that this period has some really good stuff like The Weeping Angels of Mons and The School of Death, but also some really boring stuff like the Eleventh’s second and third years.
I liked that they chose to go with mostly original companions, but I feel like most of them lost what made them interesting after the first year. Especially Alice lost everything after her first couple of stories.
But overall, I like these stories and I think it is sad that we never got a year 4.
Interesting. I found Eleven to be the worst after the initial run (okay, Nine was probably even worse). It felt like such a mistake to put Alice’s story on the sideline when it was the most interesting part of that run.
I have to agree with @Tian about the 11th Doctor. It’s a pity since he is such a favourite, but they dropped the ball after Year 1. And Alice was also done dirty, because she had all that stuff with grief and her mother at first, and then she got lost when they brought in Abslom and Squire and ARC and Jones.
Ten had an overall fine run, even if the Sutekh/Anubis stuff felt a bit overwhelming and I never warmed to Cindy. Also, the unresolved cliffhanger is a bummer.
I think Twelve was the best overall. Fun stories, great art, nothing that I actively disliked.
The events were all fun as well, with the Cybermen one being my favourite.
I’d probably say Ten, Twelve is close, but I think the fact that Ten got to actually have a solid arc rather than mostly disconnected stories brings it up
While I think Eleven’s run is the weakest, the one shots where they played with the format were really fun, SIDRAT and Four Dimensions especially. Hacked from the FCBD comics is so good, incredible art, great use of the world they’re playing in, and just a really fun concept.
As for arcs… eh, not particularly, though I think the arcs in Ten’s run were the strongest overall
The above screenshot answers that I guess. I absolutely adore the cybermen, I think that when done well, they’re the best DW villians, and Supermacy does them justice
I think that reading through Titan’s 10-12 run has been enjoyable for me. I started some of it on my own, and I didn’t really like it. However, now that I’ve finished it, there are seven four star stories in the run for me, with Four Doctors and Give Free or Die being ones that I added to my favorites. I’m excited to be able to continue reading Doctor Who in comics, as I will continue to try to keep up with the club and I am also reading Titan’s IDW treasuries.