What are you currently listening to? (Part 2)

What are you currently listening to?

A place to discuss Doctor Who Audio Dramas and Audiobooks!


Continuing the discussion from What are you currently listening to? (Part 1) - #10148 by realdoctor .

6 Likes

We did it everyone, we listened to too much for it to handle :laughing:

I just listened to Mighty and Despair (tragic vampires meet Captain Jack Harkness) and then relistened to a story which I previously jumped straight to - R&J.

R&J is brilliant because it weaves in and out of both River and Jack’s timelines, with scenes from episodes and their past adventures extended to show that they kept meeting in the wrong order. Loads of references and nostalgia. Even an explanation for something from the episode Listen!

Did you know I love River Song? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

24 Likes

I’ll be doing some more MR listening today, with Year of the Pig, as well as Gallifrey, with Spirit.

And probably the next Dalek Eternity set too, if I have the time.

10 Likes

I finished the first series of Susan’s War the other day, and I listened to the first episode of Series 2, The Lost Son, which I really loved. Now I’m carrying on with my Gallifrey War Room relisten and starting Remnants now.

13 Likes

I’m going to recap everything I’ve listened to in the last two weeks (or since my last post):

Missy: Bad Influence: The first story wasn’t that bad, the second story became my favorite Missy story despite the low ratings, and the third one felt boring to me. 6/10.

Vampire Weekend: First 13th story from the expanded media I’ve consumed. Very good characterization, but I didn’t find it that good overall, I think it’s a bit overrated. 7/10.

Dark Eyes 2: Boring, 3/10.

Dark Eyes 3: The first two stories were extremely boring, but I liked the last two; in fact, Masterplan became one of my favorite 8th stories (I really liked Narvin, for the people on this forum I think not mentioning him would be a sin). 8/10.

Farewell, Great Macedonia: I liked it a lot and I see why people enjoy it, but I think some things were unnecessary. 7/10.

10 Likes

My Monday morning college commute gives me two options and that’s this or my playlist

So I chose a random short trip I had downloaded instead of continuing 8s main range. So it’s deleted scenes time! The premise is very interesting and I’ll take anything read by Frazer Hines. For my first short trip it’s very cool.

12 Likes

What I find fascinating about Macedon is how it leans into the religious discussion which is something the TV series never really went near. I do think that would probably have got cut at the script-editing stage.

8 Likes

TORTURE THAT MAN!!! yay <3 agree with your overall assessment of DE though :/

7 Likes

Dalek Universe: Cycle of Destruction: I am SO SO excited for Roy Gill to give us more Helen Sinclair in December :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: how is this relevant to a release from 4 years ago? My point is, I adore Gill’s writing. He just gets it. This is the first time I’ve felt more than vague ambivalence towards Mark Seven, and the way this episode tackles the question of what it means to be yourself is really really good

13 Likes

Oh yes it did! I was so not ready for the emotional gut punch from that story. Wow!
This series is really, really good.

5 Likes

Listening to Tropical Beach Sounds and Other Relaxing Seascapes #4. Can Tim Foley not create a bad script?

6 Likes

If he has, I haven’t heard it yet! He’s pretty much in my top three Who writers of all time at this point, his name being on something is almost a guarantee it’ll be a good time at minimum.

6 Likes

He can…We Don’t Talk About Mavic Chen. Sorry Tim.

8 Likes

Even the best writers give us the occasional duffer, but I have to agree that Foley’s hit rate is pretty stellar. When he’s good (which is most of the time) he’s very very good.

Big Finish has some outstanding script writers at the moment. Many of you will probably be aware that I also rate Lisa McMullin very highly too (I love Broken Hearts, The Dimension of Lost Things and Reformation). I think she’s extraordinarily good. Then there’s Georgia Cook. Whilst I’ve not been blown away by everything she’s written, she’s consistently entertaining and her recent Party Favours was, in my opinion, utterly sublime.

14 Likes

Yeah, and I really didn’t get along with The House That Hoxx Built, it rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. And kind of nobody loves the final two-parter from Rage Of The Time Lords. Other than that? I’ve heard about 20 of his stories and they’re pretty much all north of 4 stars, the bulk I’ve gone for straight 5’s. He’s ULTRA reliable!

9 Likes

Yes, it just made me realise that he’s human after all.

3 Likes

Georgia Cook also wrote the terrifying 11/Valarie Christmas ep, Spirit Of The Season. I’ve only heard that, House Of Masks, and Party Favours, but those are all GREAT.

12 Likes

Mistfall. Nigel, mate, were your headphones broken? The music is just as loud as the performances by the actors! Especially that repetitive scene transition pipe music (which you used for The Hollows of Time as well).

5 Likes

Didn’t want to start anything massive, so I’m listening to Trial of the Valeyard.

4 Likes

I just listened to Birdsong, my next Eighth Doctor audio!

I decided to have a little break before I carry on with Torchwood, and stepped back into the Eighth Doctor series. Oh how I’ve missed Liv and Helen! Listening to them was like coming back home to a lovely big hug. Oh and some scary monsters too :smiley:

12 Likes