What are you currently listening to? (Part 2)

Started Theatre of War tonight. Hearing Lisa Bowerman and Miles Richardson perform Benny and Brax’s first meeting is simply glorious.

I really enjoy the TARDIS team of 7, Benny and Ace. I wish we’d got more audios with them and not just novel adaptations. Bowerman and Aldred bounce of each other and McCoy really well.

11 Likes

As much as I love the Benny/Unbound Doctor combo, I kinda wishes they’d stuck with the 7/Ace/Benny team of the first two New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield sets longer.

7 Likes

I’ve had Echoes downloaded to the app for about three months, but I keep not hitting play on it just because I really didn’t like the idea of having NO new 8/Liv/Helen to listen to after I finish it! Luckily we have a new box coming out soon, finally, and I am absolutely itching to listen to Birdsong.

12 Likes

Listening to the Sixth keep mentioning Ravalox and Darkel getting more and more pissed is great fun.

5 Likes

So, I’m just under halfway through Trial of the Valeyard. While I have listened to this before, I believe it was fairly early on in my fandom, at the very least pre-Chibnall era. And man is this an interesting audio. Darkel presiding[1] in what ended up being Lynda Bellingham’s last role before her passing, the Sixth Doctor as the counsel for the defense, and the Valeyard on trial. The primary focus is on the Valeyard’s origins and why Rassilon put a limit on regeneration which is even more fascinating in a post-Timeless Child fandom. This is definitely worth checking out for that reason, and it doesn’t hurt that the cast is just brilliant together.


  1. it’s weird that she’s not in full political scheming mode here ↩︎

11 Likes

Finished relistening to Gallifrey War Room 2 today! I love it even more now. The characters and relationships are so delicious and interesting to think about and there were some really cool ideas. I need War Room 3 nowwwwwwwww!!!

9 Likes

I just started Dalek Universe. I like it, but I feel like I’ve missed something? Where did 10 meet Anya?

7 Likes

Its complicated, the character appeared in a previous story meeting a previous Doctor.

The Dalek Protocol is a prequel to Dalek Universe with the 4th Doctor. The character had also appeared in previous stories with the 4th Doctor.

8 Likes

Without giving any more away than absolutely necessary, check out Series 8 of the Fourth Doctor Adventures.

6 Likes

Yeah no… I’m not getting into all that for now. I’ll figure out everything I need to know as I go, and maybe go back and listen to the Four stuff later. Timey-wimey and all that.

7 Likes

All you really need to know is, she met Four at one point and there’s a little bad blood between them because they didn’t part on terribly good terms

11 Likes

I’m pretty sure I hadn’t listened to her previous appearances before listening to Dalek Universe.

6 Likes

I certainly hadn’t. I got Dalek Universe for the Tenth Doctor content, and then was very, very confused through the first boxset and so didn’t progress any further. This was a couple years ago and I still haven’t tried it again.

I don’t know what it is but I really didn’t connect with the Terry Nationness of it all, which was supposedly the main selling point?

8 Likes

As someone who finds daleks quite tiresome, & was done with the 10th Doctor surprisingly I enjoyed it. In fact I have it all on vinyl.

10 Likes

I only have one of the BFs on vinyl, The Light At The End box set, which is a very lovely package. I have played it exactly once, which is why I never really bought any others haha, it’s not my preferred way of listening to audio drama. But I love having it!

7 Likes

I have a few that I rarely listen to. All the 9th Doctor ones that got released. & most of the limited coloured vinyl that would appear in Asda or Sainsbury’s.

8 Likes

Those limited in-store ones were the only others I was ever interested in, like the 10DAs they did one at a time. I have more vinyl than sense, and lots of DW soundtrack records, but it just felt cumbersome for listening to something narrative.

6 Likes

Now that I’ve finished my Second Doctor watch I can finally start Daughter of the Gods, which I’ve been anticipating/holding off on since watching DMP!

…got literally 2 minutes in before being interrupted. But the first two minutes were fun. :joy:

10 Likes

Just listened to the last of the first Sapphire & Steel series, Dead Man Walking. Like the previous story, this is also an ultra-focused one hour two-parter written by Nigel Fairs featuring time fragmented around a traumatic murder in a suitably creepy location. That may sound retread-y, but they don’t play out that way, they’re very different stories with different emotions at the core of their time horror. This is set in a prison where the inmates have been dying, one cell in particular seems to cause visions and voices, and while Sapphire tries to figure out one part of the mystery, Steel is dropped through time and finds himself becoming someone else, someone whose body has just been dug up in the present. The two hour stories are certainly more substantial, and I do like getting settled into one S&S vibe for a while (the TV assignments were up to 8 parts long!), but these punchy fast ones are also really nice for listening to on a long walk after work with the sun going down (as I just did). 4.25/5!

The Passenger and Daisy Chain are tied for my favorite of the series, but I loved The Lighthouse and Dead Man Walking too. All Fall Down was my least favorite, and it still had tons of cool sequences and ideas, this series rocks. I’ll definitely keep going!

9 Likes

You’ve got a lot to look forward to, like guest casts including Lisa Bowerman, Richard Franklin, Caroline Morris, Colin Baker and Sarah Douglas.

5 Likes