Tremendously excited for this release. Not only is it by the wonderful Rochana Patel but it also features several elements that I really enjoy. Alien incursion on Earth? Check. Lovely classic returning aliens? Check (and Chibnall’s era generally did excellent service to returning foes). Thirteen always brings me joy. This very much feels like a story that I will really enjoy. I haven’t read the review, but I’m getting weirdly classic vibes that make me very curious.
Pencilled in for Sunday morning (because Saturday morning, I’m off to the Scottish Highlands with Twelve and Ash). Happy days ahead! 
8 Likes
This reminded me a lot of The Claws of Axos, but in a good way. Really enjoyed this! Lots of continuity with the Chibnall era, which was cool, but some strong characterization for Yaz.
6 Likes
Sontarans vs Rutans too. I was listening to Born to Die the other day and he uses these really cool synth noises and a banger Sontaran theme and then half way through it switches to the exact tracks used in the 13DAs
3 Likes
Not perfect, didn’t do some things I wished for it to do, but those are just my wishes and they shouldn’t take away enjoyment from others.
What is left is still a great story that I consider my favourite 13DA so far. Yes, I’m a sucker for well written Ice Warriors, boo at me)
Also I grinned like an idiot during every reference)
8 Likes
I didn’t get to finish on my lunch, starting up again and the Paternoster Gang’s literal theme is played at one point.. its genuinely the only range I’ve noticed the music be reused to this degree.
I also just spotted surprise surprise, its the same guy doing sound design. I hate to moan about little things, but they’re using the wrong sonic SFX numerous times now. Its the 9th/10th’s sonic they’ve used and its not the first 13 audio I’ve noticed it.
5 Likes
PLEASE!! She was so incredible in this episode, and I’d love them to do something in this gap, maybe even with some old UNIT/TW members while they’re both gone 
I just finished and hearing 13 interact with Menzies and mention Charley GOD this is so cool!!
9 Likes
This is how Allison can still win…
7 Likes
Briggs’ character saying “I’ve joined” wasn’t even in the script, he just blurted that out so he could do his northern accent again.
I agree what you said earlier: there’s something really special about new series doctors referencing classic Doctor big finish stories. It just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! 
9 Likes
I thoroughly enjoyed this, and I’ve come to expect nothing less from Rochana Patel’s work. She is really doing writing a lot of great stories at the minute! Despite my gripes with the score, and era inaccurate sfx, I loved the story so much, and perhaps it may be my favourite 13DA yet? 4.5./5!
10 Likes
Ooh one more thing, so sadly I got spoiled on Twitter, I’m curious to know what the users of the Guide think about this. So… Yaz confessing she loves 13 to Sonya, and to herself in a way, kind of doesn’t fit with what we saw on screen with Eve of the Daleks… I don’t really care? As much as I’m personally a stickler for canon, I don’t think its totally unbelievable and did feel natural. It felt nice too, I really love that we got to see their dynamic develop more here.
9 Likes
Has this released early or am I wrong? Thought it was tomorrow.
1 Like
No, it was always releasing today.
3 Likes
Always due today. Has been since the dates were revealed earlier in the month.
1 Like
I am writing to Big Finish to complain about the theme tune, I can’t stand this shortened edit that they’ve started doing for the 13DAs, it’s making me furious. The Fugitive Doctor is stuck with the 13th Doctor’s full theme, yet the 13th Doctor only gets an edit of her own theme, this is crazy. It put me off the episode right at the beginning. What, did we really need to save those extra five seconds for something important lol. I’m at peace with the fact that Nick Briggs is going to start off 60% of BF releases doing some regional accent, but can we please please please use the correct theme?!? 
10 Likes
13 fans are sensitive, I know this is true, we were kind of forced to become a bit sensitive and defensive over the course of her era unfortunately, so I’m sure this is part of it, but I still can’t help feeling that they would literally never edit the theme tune for a single other incarnation, not on a regular basis. And if War got his own theme, why not Fugitive, since the situations are almost identical. The word “disrespectful” is floating near the tip of my brain, but I’m trying not to let it.
Now, at some point I’ll relax and start this ep over again lol.
5 Likes
I find it much more annoying they used 9/10’s sonic sound rather than the intro music being shorter. I can’t say I’ve noticed it myself really, but I can sympathise that the score and sound design is a bit meh from Kramer.
5 Likes
Loved this one, it’s up there with Ride or Die and Vampire Weekend as sort-of-joint-best of this range. The first half was maybe a little slow, but my goodness the second half more than makes up for it. I think Rochana Patel is my favourite writer for Thirteen specifically, she’s still recognisably the same character as she is on TV here but she’s allowed to be that bit more proactive and decisive than I personally think she sometimes is in her episodes, as well as drawing on the character’s history that bit more - her confrontation with the baddie Ice Warrior is electrically written and played, and a rare glimpse into the true inner thoughts and feelings of this incarnation. I also loved that when Menzies offers to sacrifice herself, the Doctor rightly refuses to allow her to do so - again, that’s something that didn’t always happen in Thirteen’s TV episodes (Ko Sharmus’ death in The Timeless Children being a glaring example) and could sometimes feel a bit of a cop-out. Like Ride or Die, Yaz gets some absolutely superb development here too, the conversations between her and Sonya were probably my highlight of the story besides the aforementioned moment of the Doctor going womano-a-ice-lizardo at the climax. The Ice Warriors were done really well, the plot was straightforward without being too obvious, Menzies was Menzies, and to top it all off, CHARLEY GOT MENTIONED!!! (and by Jodie herself no less! Perhaps we could have an appearance next, maybe…?
) Fantastic, another dynamite entry in this range, please get Rochana back for several more of these (and Anna Hope too, while we’re at it), thanks!
13 Likes
They have the cold open/full 13 theme correct in Betrayal At The House Of Sontar, but the last two or three of the 13DAs have a shortened edit that goes right to the “ooh wee ooh” haha. It’s bizarre to do it correctly for a Doctor who shouldn’t have it at all but alter it for the Doctor who should.
The incidental music is its own whole issue haha, I am really not a Kramer fan (his themes are good, his incidental music is BLAND as can be).
5 Likes