The Thirteenth Doctor Adventures: The Hallamshire Incident (Release Discussion)

Things here that I want to like but kinda hitting all of my biggest issues so this one feels like easily my least favorite of the range so far. Disappointing after I really enjoyed the last couple but not entirely surprising given that my other least favorite was Ride or Die. More thoughts hidden below

Spoilers

My #1 complaint about 13’s era is that it feels distinctly copaganda-y at times (other eras do as well sometimes, but not quite like 13’s, obviously largely due to Yaz being a cop) and this feels like it really leans into that in a way that I disliked thoroughly throughout. Particularly bad taste in my mouth from “he only had a taser”

Sonya feels off in a way that I’m not sure I can place and ultimately isn’t a huge deal given she’s a pretty minor character, though I do hate them canonizing that she’s older than Yaz when everyone I’ve talked to rejected that idea after seeing it in the script lol.

Biggest issue though was just Yaz being so open about her feelings towards the Doctor with Sonya. It’s a scene I might really like if it were set later but I don’t like the contradiction with the Eve confession scene (“I’ve never told anyone. Not even myself.”). And it’s not that I mind a bit of canon contradiction on small details like that, I just don’t like it from a characterization perspective compared to the “bottling it up and refusing to fully acknowledge it” take of the show.

For some positives: I did really like 13’s speech and “my armor will keep me safe” is a perfect line for her (though again everyone’s a little too open with their feelings in that scene)

In summary I am once again asking for the millionth time in these audios to let 13 and Yaz truly bottle up their feelings until they severely strain their relationship

5 Likes

DOCTOR: How long has it been?

MENZIES: I’d rather not say.

DOCTOR: Fair enough, we don’t always meet in the right order, do we?

So call me crazy, but:

I wonder if a 9 and Rose story with Menzies is on the cards, set after this one? Could be a fun way to connect these ongoing ranges…

9 and Menzies could have Northern banter…

5 Likes

What on earth is going on with the music in this one? :sweat_smile:

Is this the same fella who did Aegis?

It’s so distracting. Doesn’t feel like it knows what the tone is.

6 Likes

Is that Briggs doing his 9th Doctor impression? :sob:

BRIGGS: I can do it! I can do it! I can do a great northern accent, honest! I get to write the feem toon, I get to sing the feem toon.

2 Likes

Yeah.. it’s a shame they got this guy to do 13’s era. I don’t think it suits the range at all. Wild he said he was trying to invoke Akinola when he reuses so much of the Paternoster soundtrack which is SO different to 13’s tv score. The constant reuse is weird, but it’s so off putting because it suits Paternoster but not 13.

7 Likes

I am now convinced Sircarolyn has hacked your account. This isn’t the Jackson I know!

Or maybe we’re all becoming Sircarolyn…

5 Likes

Oh no! Her secret ploy! Am I still me? How much longer until we merge into one being?? Or maybe we already have :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

4 Likes

“I already know”

My god, they have me by the strings :sob::sob:

Ahhhhhhh Earth Division? That’s confirmation we’re getting more Menzies, right?(( ahhhhhh!

Briggs like “I’ve signed up” — yeah, we know you’ve signed up Briggs, you wanna be in and do everything.

3 Likes

I thought that this was fun

5 Likes

not Nick Briggs doing ‘‘Northern’’ :sob::sob::sob:

BUT YAYYYY MENZIES I LOVE YOUUUUUU

10 Likes

Literally the first track is a reused track from Paternoster… :sob:

5 Likes

Paternosters and the Robots and Missy and Rose and… he writes exactly the same and uses the exact same cues for every single range he does :sob:

5 Likes

I really don’t notice the music in these :rofl:

7 Likes

Is he the Terry Nation of Doctor Who composers?

4 Likes

I never do.

The only time I ever notice the music is when it’s out of place and doesn’t fit.

The music has to be really really poorly chosen for ME to notice it :sob:

6 Likes

I didn’t know he did Missy and Rose but this makes sense…

2 Likes

So he gets other people to compose the music, when whacks his name on it? :eyes:

2 Likes

There’s something so just.. idk sweet and surreal about a new who Doctor meeting an established original BF character! So so cool!

11 Likes

My guess is that he doesn’t get much time to compose stuff for these and therefore reuses material. I don’t think that the music budget is huge for a BF audio.

3 Likes

No, he keeps reusing the same assets over and over because of laziness, time constraints, a lack of creative spark, or something else…

4 Likes