Chibnall Era BF Audios Incoming (2025)

Starting July’25.

5 Likes

Source:

7 Likes

Thank you friends! I’m very excited for Whittaker content with (hopefully) better writing. She’s a really great actress, and I like a lot of the ideas around that period of Doctor Who, but the execution. Um. Well they made Kerblam.

8 Likes

That reminds me, I recommend giving Blackest Friday a listen if you haven’t already.

It’s a fan audio drama written by DAVIS on youtube (who also does a bunch of fun Dr Who vids, Broke Canon especially is great). Taking the concept of Kerblam and actually using it to explore the morality (or lack thereof) in Amazon.

9 Likes

That sounds so cool!
If I had the post I’d put it here, but imagine if you will: Tumblr screenshot, image of the kerblam man, text above that reads “12 and Bill would have killed this thing with hammers I can tell you that much”.

I’ll give it a listen when I can ^^

6 Likes

Very chuffed about today’s news. I feel like I’ve been saying it a lot this year but this is one of Big Finish’s most gorgeous covers and I’m hoping the stories impress. These all sound really fun in concept and I’m glad we’re getting a Fugitive historical.

Slightly disappointed about the Daleks being here though, or moreso mixed. The Fugitive Doctor getting a Dalek story feels like an essential wishlist item but I’m a little bit burnt out on Daleks right now. If it’s just for one story this set and totally absent the next I’ll probably be happy. It also presents the opportunity for very new dynamics, especially if they present this as the Doctor’s first encounter with the Daleks while the Daleks are VERY aware of who she is. The story it sounds like they’re part of has interest beyond that too, we had three 13s in The Vanquishers, why not have two Fugitives!

I wasn’t sure if I was going to order these, because I wasn’t sure how distinct her adventures would feel from regular Doctor Who. This doesn’t ease that worry in the slightest but I’ve kinda just caught the excitement, “Jo Martin Big Finish” is finally setting in.

18 Likes

I’m just happy it isn’t Nick Briggs writing the Dalek story, this is exactly the sort of big ticket item he usually gets his grubby claws into from the off.

15 Likes

this would be intresting!

6 Likes

Bit disappointed there’s Daleks here

9 Likes

Call me a casual but I’ll never complain about getting Daleks!

8 Likes

I just was hoping we’d get something a bit fresher and newer for at least the first few Fugitive sets but that’s fair, to each their own!

9 Likes

Great cover art but the synopses are underwhelming to say the least. I was hoping for something fresh with this version of the Doctor, maybe stories set during the division? But daleks? Zzzzzzzzzzz.

10 Likes

I’m excited for this even if it’s going to have Daleks in this first set. Hopefully they’ll have thought of something creative for them here, but I’m just excited to get some more Jo Martin.

11 Likes

I do wonder why Daleks have to appear so often and it makes me think BF believe releases with them sell better.

14 Likes

Well, they have the numbers. They’ve noticed that putting a Dalek on the cover and in the story boosts sales, so they keep using them. Putting them in this first set is probably a strategy to boost interest and sales for the new range.

15 Likes

Yeah on a personal level I wish we could steer clear from monsters established in the main show as the appeal for this range (aside from Jo Martin herself obviously) is the unknown.

I’d have liked her to still be working for Division rather than on the run from it but if you’ve got a character called the Fugitive Doctor I suppose having her be a fugitive does make sense. But she’s on the run in a time (relative, a period of the Doctor’s timeline) we know next to nothing about. And yes, with time travel capability in a universe we know contains Daleks etc so it doesn’t strain credulity that she could run into them, I just would rather the focus be on strange new things. It would help sell an era unexplored to me far greater than having her run into Daleks.

Conversely, the same isn’t necessarily true for me when it comes to a historical Earth setting. That is a backdrop rather than a returning, familiar element.

And there may have been a frisson of her running into Daleks later on once the range is established but having them in the first set has me suspecting this won’t be the ‘Exploring the Unknown’ I was hoping for. But, as ever, I do keep an open mind for the stories themselves and am still looking forward to them.

This is just my initial reaction to the story details and cover reveal.

Do love the sound of that historical though.

15 Likes

The stories I would really love with the Fugitive Doctor are Division missions (preferably with Karvanista :wink:), and ultimately the events that led to the Time Lords regressing her to a child again and suppressing her memories - though honestly I would prefer that one as an actual televised spin-off/mini-series :slightly_smiling_face:

17 Likes

Of course with the Fugitive Doctor still calling herself Doctor, that means when the Hartnell incarnation ‘chose’ the name, it must have been through some influence of his previous, forgotten life. I think there’s scope in thematically exploring that as well.

I sympathise with fans who feel that the Timeless Child story, and therefore existence of the Fugitive Doctor, removes some agency from the First Doctor without actually sharing that viewpoint myself. I can understand that the implication that the First Doctor wasn’t the first and didn’t choose the name himself (despite thinking and feeling like he did) would turn some fans off but I actually think the genius (I hesitated, then committed) of the revelation lies within that unease it gave to us fans.

If we feel like that and the character’s whole backstory has been upturned as a result, how must the Doctor feel? We know full well. I really, really like how this blows everything wide open and the chance to play in that sandbox with Jo Martin at Big Finish is incredibly appealing.

Seriously, I could talk endlessly about the Timeless Child story and how I think it’s an excellent addition to the canon, but I’m never really keen on arguing about it. So I never bring it up because it’s still such a hot topic even 4 years later. I mean, people bring it up to crap on it even when it’s not relevant the conversation you may be having.

(On my video about Genesis, someone commented with, “A retcon which actually works, unlike the Timeless Child.” K, we weren’t discussing the Timeless Child though so maybe stop working yourself up about it?)

But this is a far more reasonable space than many I’ve visited and so I’m actually quite looking forward to flexing my ‘Defending the Timeless Child’ muscles. Especially now we’re getting a series featuring a Doctor from that era.

20 Likes

Or the Fugitive Doctor as a kid, getting up to mischief. A Gallifreyian Dennis the Menace. The All New Adventures of Lil Fugee :rofl:

12 Likes

With a very exasperated Tecteun :grin: I could see that.
“Theta! Did you light a bag on fire and ring Rassilon’s door?!?”

10 Likes