What's Made or Not Made Your Day?

No. Every municipality has its library but it is not better in the other once.

4 Likes

I might need to look into how I can access the Danish library :joy:

6 Likes

That’s easy.

1. Travel to Denmark (don’t step on the Lego brick!)
  2. Find a library
  3. Step inside the library (watch out for the Lego brick!)
  4. Enjoy!
10 Likes

Yeah stepping on a Lego will not make your day :wink:

8 Likes

I really need to actually get a new library card sometime…

10 Likes

Does the Libby app work out there - your library system needs to be linked into it but it has a huge amount of BF on there.

3 Likes

Checking on the Libby website, it does seem to have my library on the list!

2 Likes

One library that is kind of closed is a part of Libby. Need to get that card.

3 Likes

Turns out I was also able to register for an e-version of a library card at my library as well on my libraries website, so I don’t have to physically visit them.

3 Likes

I love libraries! I first came across Doctor Who books in a library and that experience cemented my becoming a fan. Hooray for libraries!

10 Likes

I do love libraries, but I got out of the habit of visiting them regularly, and they remove your card from their system if you don’t visit in long enough, so I’ve had several cards go poof over the years…

6 Likes

Libraries are so important and its so sad what has been happening to them in the UK. I used to have a Saturday job at my local library and it was brilliant. When the kids were young we took them all the time to get books and nowadays I am always promoting it to my classes. It’s crazy how many families don’t take advantage of free books!

10 Likes

I think Libraries are the mark of a civilised society and, yes, I am also angry at how they’ve been treated in the UK. They are vital drivers of education, social mobility and social integration. What’s more, not only can I borrow what I want to read for free, I get to return it afterwards, so I don’t need to store it, and someone else gets to read it! We should have libraries for tools, and rarely used clothing and pretty much everything else that could be shared. Sharing stuff is a good thing for our own wellbeing and that of the environment. I wish we could do a lot more of it.

11 Likes

Our library does have a ‘library of things’ where you can borrow tools and various equipment. It’s a bit of a faff though. We borrowed a carpet cleaner and I’m not convinced we didn’t break it!

8 Likes

There was a time when I’d go to the library and check out as many books as I was allowed to on my card, and I’d have read them all when I returned them.

That’s actually one of the factors in my having gotten to a point where I wasn’t visiting them as often. I’d end up feeling like I already read most of the books in my local branch I was interested in…

8 Likes

Our borough has a network of 26 libraries. All of them are volunteer due to budget cuts. This is the result for ours. Its a jank site.

3 Likes

In all the libraries in my city, these are the only Doctor Who books. I got a new card when I went to my local library recently so I can use Libby, but for me the whole point of a library is getting the physical books. I much prefer reading on paper. If I want to read on my phone for free it’s very easy to find PDFs. I knew not to have high expectations but it’s still a little disappointing.

4 Likes

CW: Vomit mention

After getting 5 hours of sleep yesterday, I woke up today having only had 6 hours, then felt really ill and have thrown up twice, so that’s fun for me

7 Likes

I wnt outside for half a minute this morning and a bird pooped on me. I will stay indoors for the rest of the day.

9 Likes

You know, they say that’s good luck.

4 Likes