What Should You Watch / Read / Listen To Next?

THEY’RE IN RESURRECTION TOO??? /j

7 Likes

I really do recommend the spin-off though. Series 1 already starts off great, but series 3 is particularly fantastic in my opinion.

6 Likes

The interesting thing to me is that I’ve been seeing critique of Spirit from two sort of opposed camps regarding Leela’s spiritualism lately. Your kind, and then people who are far less spiritual/religious rightfully pointing out that Leela actually should not be this spiritual given her characterisation on TV. Although personally I’m in the camp that goes Leela/Romana holiday retreat :flushed_face:?? because I’m a lesbian

7 Likes

Exactly this, and though the audios don’t really touch on racial issues at all (perhaps to their detriment), the stupid Candy Jar books which are better than they have any right to be are very explicit in the matter of the ICMG being anti-racist almost to the point of discomfort in how much they say to the reader ‘racism has no place in our world’

10 Likes

To be fair, Time Lord scociety is racist. And The Master has a whole bunch of ethical problems. But I still love Gallifrey and The War Master ranges.

Not sure what your point is. You labelled the CM team as racist which is based on you apparently misremembering or misunderstanding the characters in Remembrance of the Daleks.

They aren’t racist.

9 Likes

I mean, I’ll have a discussion about counter measures in and out of universe stances any day. I just expect who I’m talking to to have the decency to present me with textual evidence. I could discuss the black women in the fifth citadel or its treatment of rachel as a jewish woman, the lack of diversity on the writing team, what it does of a post-wwii, in the midst of stopping being an empire, britain, how it portrays the political situation for ages.

5 Likes

Having just finished and really enjoyed The Dead Men Dairies, I’m in the mood to start another anthology that I can slowly chip away at, but I’m not sure if I should continue with the Benny ones or go for a Doctor Who one

  • Bernice Summerfield: A Life of Surprises
  • Short Trips: Zodiac
0 voters

I’m not really a movie watcher. I rarely go to the theater, partly because of cost, but also because I live in an area with an excellent library system that has tons of DVDs. This year, I created a Letterboxd account to actually properly track my movies[1]. I’m purposefully not tracking Doctor Who viewing through it[2] because I don’t want it to potentially skew the data (and because I have Tardis Guide for that). I’ve been enjoying this experiment so far and have a pile of DVDs either waiting for me at the library or on their way to me from other branches.

So my question for you all, some of whom watch a lot more movies than I do, is which ones of the library stack do I watch first? I’ve got 14 titles, so everyone can choose up to three options.

  • 7 Days in Entebbe (2018)
  • 21 Bridges (2019)
  • Air Force One (1997)
  • Ben-Hur (1959)
  • Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
  • Boss Level (2020)
  • Braveheart (1995)
  • The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
  • Captain Blood (1935)
  • Captain From Castile (1947)
  • Cowboys and Aliens (2011)
  • Dirty Harry (1971)
  • In the Line of Fire (1993)
  • The King’s Speech (2010)
0 voters

  1. and because the Year in Reviews from there that you guys post look really cool ↩︎

  2. though I made an exception for the TV Movie which is actually a film, and I’ll make exceptions for the Cushing Dalek films if I get around to watching them ↩︎

1 Like

Air Force One is one of my favourite films of all time (another being the Fugitive - Harrison Ford is great)

Cowboys and Aliens I’ve not seen in years, but remembered enjoying more than most people. You’ve kinda got to see that based on the title alone.

And Dirty Harry is a classic for a reason. I watched a terrible Clint Eastwood film recently and he was still incredible in it.

3 Likes

The only one on that list I have seen was Beverly Hills Cop, but if you have such good things to say about the rest maybe I’ll add them to my own list

2 Likes

I’ve seen the Fugitive (it’s been way too long) and I did watch (or at least partially watch) Cowboys and Aliens. I have seen some of these before, it’s just been ages on most of them. I’ll also post a poll for some of my Disney+ watchlist.

1 Like

Air Force One is great. Helps that it has one of my favourite actors in Harrison Ford.

Cowboys and Aliens – I haven’t seen it since it was in cinemas, but I remember liking it well enough (then again, I was 14 back then, and this was exactly my type of film).

Ben Hur is a marvellous piece of classic filmmaking. One of those historical epics that are sooooooo long but somehow very engaging.

1 Like

I’ve seen Ben-Hur, it’s just been ages.

1 Like

Here’s the poll for what to watch next on Disney+. There’s 26 films here, so everyone gets up to five (5) choices.

  • Agent Recon (2024)
  • The Aristocats (1970)
  • Atlantis: Milo’s Return (2003)
  • Beatles 64 (2024)
  • Captain America: Brave New World (2025)
  • Chief of Station (2024)
  • Empire Strikes Back (1980)
  • Holes (2003)
  • The Incredibles (2004)
  • Iron Man (2008)
  • John Carter (2012)
  • The Jungle Book (1967)
  • Just Getting Started (2017)
  • The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (2018)
  • Mary Poppins (1964)
  • National Treasure (2004)
  • Peter Pan (1953)
  • Predator (1987)
  • Prince of Persia Sands of Time (2010)
  • The Quiet Ones (2024)
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
  • Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
  • The Rocketeer (1991)
  • A Score to Settle (2019)
  • Swiss Family Robinson (1960)
  • Wanted Man (2024)
0 voters

I absolutely love the Aristocats!!! There are some things that didn’t age well, but I will forever love Abraham DeLacy Giuseppe Casey Thomas O’Malley and his crew of alley cats. Also, Uncle Waldo and his nieces was a scene me and my brothers and sisters quoted every chance we got (next to the swimming discussion from Balto)

Also the main human woman in the movie is peak goals!

4 Likes

Also if you want an additional recommendation might I suggest Treasure Planet which is my all time favorite Disney movie

2 Likes

I’ve seen it once and it is on my list. I narrowed the list way down for the poll.

2 Likes

You need to watch Holes - superb film.

5 Likes

I have, many years ago.

2 Likes