What Should You Watch / Read / Listen To Next?

It’s fine… I’ll just go play with my toys in the corner by myself…

4 Likes

TORCHWOOD SERIES 6 BELOVED!!! God I miss when it was coming out it was so fun

2 Likes

Hmmmm, how do I ban people again…?

/j

3 Likes

4 Likes

Oh no I’m surrounded by Gallifrey fans :sob:

6 Likes

It’s okay. There’s a very simple way to save yourself…

6 Likes

like listening to counter measures <3

7 Likes

Don’t worry, you’re not totally alone[1]


  1. I listened to the first two seasons and found it thoroughly average ↩︎

7 Likes

Do you want someone to make your username come true…

Do you?

/hj

7 Likes

There are some fantastic episodes like A Blind Eye & Spirits don’t get me wrong but overall? I just don’t find myself wanting to continue, it’s fine but I’m not crazy about Gallifrey and I never will be.

5 Likes

I mean the first two seasons are on Spotify… I’d give it a shot but what makes them different from UNIT?

3 Likes

Oh they are completely different from UNIT. But @sircarolyn or @Jae are better placed to explain how.

They are like a black and white 60s spy/science thriller series on audio.

9 Likes

Having only seen them in Resurrection of the Daleks, my takeaway of Counter Mesures is that they’re UNIT except British and racist.

So as you can imagine Ive always been baffled by the idea of a spinoff. Let alone a beloved one.

6 Likes

You must have seen a different version of Resurrection than I have, because I only remember seeing them in Remembrance…

6 Likes

What are you on about? I genuinely don’t know how you’ve come to this judgement. I mean, yeah they’re British but so is most UNIT that we see. And you could write essays on the way British imperialism is depicted in the series, yes, but it’s far more interesting than whatever snap judgement you’ve made.

If you haven’t even listened to a spinoff and can’t name the episode some characters are from, maybe you don’t actually need to have or express an opinion on it. You can just say you thought they were uninteresting in Remembrance and leave it at that

6 Likes

I think you are conflating two different groups in Remembrance of the Daleks. Ratcliffe’s lot are racist. Rachel, Allison and Gilmore (who eventually become Counter-measures but are not at this point) are brought in to deal with the Dalek threat. The character of Mike is part of Gilmore’s team but is secretly also working with Ratcliffe.

It’s a shame you have misremembered CM as being ‘like UNIT but British and racist’ because that is simply not true (and missing the fact that Remembrance is a story that highlights racism as a major theme).

I think you must have noticed that there are some huge CM fans on this forum and I’m pretty sure the possibility of CM being racist would have raised it’s head before now if it was in any way true.

The spin off is brilliant and well worth any ones time.

11 Likes

I honestly really need to get back to Gallifrey, but I do find it quite funny that I preferred both Lies and Pandora to Spirit, despite Spirit being the one most people seem to love. (Not saying Spirit was bad, I just enjoy Gallifreyan Politics a lot)

5 Likes

I mean it depends on what you like gallifrey for. I enjoy the politics a lot but I’m also a huge fan of the Leela and Romana dynamic specifically and Spirit is the best for that

3 Likes

I was one of the few who wasn’t as into Spirit as others. I didn’t like the way it treated Leela’s spirituality as lesser than, and almost inferior to, Romana’s science. It should have treated them with equal balance because, as I see it, that’s the entire point of the Romana/Leela dynamic.

6 Likes

The thing about Gallifrey for me is that I love political thrillers but just think that the series fundamentally fails at fleshing out its own politics and comes off as extremely unnuanced. If you want to hear my full thoughts on that, you can read my review of Imperiatrix, I think I summed up everything there pretty well.

Spirit was by far my favourite episode because it left behind the rocky political aspect of the series and instead just focused on its two brilliant main characters and building an effective atmosphere.

6 Likes