What Are You Currently Watching?

“Sontarans perverting the course of human history”.

Tom Baker is really Tom Baker-y right from the start.

And I’ve finally reached Harry Sullivan on this rewatch :grin:

7 Likes

The Keys of Marinus

4 Likes

When you’re finished, you should hop into the TV Club and tell us all about it. :wink:

4 Likes

Watching The Curse of Peladon for the first time.

10 Likes

Okay finished The Curse of Peladon and that was really good! Lovely to not have Ice Warriors as the villains, and Alpha Centauri is so damn cute.

10 Likes

It’s interesting, I knew ahead of time about the “twist” of Curse, and I found it extremely boring but then loved Monster.

4 Likes

If you haven’t heard it yet, the “Run” Ninth Doctor audio adventure was a lot of fun and might be to your liking.

4 Likes

Heard that last week actually, it’s what motivated me to finally watch Curse!

4 Likes

We had strawberry cake for dinner and now we’ll watch Last Christmas. It’s one of those days. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

The Web Planet. :1tardis:

6 Likes

“Homo Sapiens!”

You know which one :wink:

5 Likes

The Doctor’s Daughter.

I have the same experience every single time I watch it. I spend the first 40 minutes not being able to concentrate by wondering why the Hath have gills and the water-breathing devices - how is that supposed to work?
And then comes the “Man who never would speech” which I just can’t stand in any way - this is one of the peak reasons the Tenth Doctor is my least favourite Doctor of all time.

There are a couple of nice moments throughout the episode but nowhere near enough to counterbalance the parts that I just just mentioned.

Just went and put the rating down to a 1/5 :star:

6 Likes

I watched this a couple of weeks ago and It is the epitome of a ‘meh’ episode for me. I’m never really convinced by the Doctor/daughter dynamic (and it’s not helped by knowing what happened later making it all feel a bit icky - although its hilarious listening to the commentary knowing what they don’t know).

I’ve never been convinced by the 7 day war either even though it does give Donna some good stuff to do.

And the laser bit is just silly. It’s probably not a 1/5 but I did only give it 2.5.

6 Likes

Donna is definitely the best part of the episode. Martha is given next to nothing to do.

I thought if I was being too harsh with the rating, but I just find it too boring, if I’m spending the entire time wondering how their gills work out of water then I don’t think the script is up to scratch. And then paired with that speech?

I can’t think of a better candidate for using one of the lowest rankings :wink:

4 Likes

Oh I’m glad I’m not the only one who detests that episode! I always feel like it’s such a fan favourite but I’ve never really liked it that much - Martha and the Hath are definitely the highlight to me but I don’t like Jenny and I feel no desire to see her return

3 Likes

The decision to have her “regenerate” but not really at the end is such a weird choice when there were absolutely no plans to bring her back at some point, and everyone else came back in that finale.

Did Nick Briggs bribe RTD or something?:thinking::wink:

5 Likes

In one of the commentaries, even RTD mentions how silly it is to have a ‘water breathing’ alien drown. Apparently there is a sound effect of the glass of their breathing apparatus breaking but it’s very low in the sound mix and barely audible.

RTD isn’t blind to the weaknesses of the script but he is very professional about it and lays a lot of the blame at his own door - and quite rightfully accentuates the positives of the story.

9 Likes

The story goes that it was Moffat who told him to resurrect her at the end.

6 Likes

Hmm interesting :thinking:

2 Likes

Just finished The Web Planet. Omg, I love it just as much as when I first saw it! Yes, yes, the production aims far beyond what it can achieve, but I love the ambition of it. How did this get commissioned on such a low budget? Perhaps it is a bit long, but it has an otherworldliness to it and some lovely character moments. Vicki and Barbara discussing the differences between their times, the education, medicine. The Doctor in his excited, childlike like sense of enthusiam and wonder, to the pain of “My Ship. My TARDIS.”, to that final conversation with Ian regarding his tie. Some wonderful acting from Hartnell.
And who could forget the Zarbi running into the camera? Iconic! :joy:

9 Likes