What are you currently listening to?

Finished Only Human, kind of in the middle of UNIT: Assembled and also considering picking something out of my non-Who backlog.

4 Likes

In a shocking move for me… 3/5. Any time I give something 3/5 it means I enjoyed it but it doesn’t necessarily stick with me or sit in a group of stories I’d go out of my way to recommend to people like I would with a 4 or 5 star.

4 Likes

I have this one on CD! I’ve not listened to it yet, though.

4 Likes

I recently listened to The Lost Angel, a Twelfth Doctor audio from the BBC Audio/Audio Go “New Series Adventures” range. It’s pretty good in my opinion, especially considering that it’s doing Weeping Angels on audio. I plan to continue with The Lost Planet and the other Lost stories soon.

5 Likes

Lost Stories S1 E4 The Hollows of Time.

3 Likes

I got the same kind of vibes to begin with, but I actually think on closer inspection it isn’t as bad as it initially appears. The Perfect One is very clearly a raving lunatic, and when Ian sort of invokes gender essentialism and claims women are inferior, he’s just doing it to save Barbara and Susan. There’s not a lot of endorsement of those views in the text, although I will say that could just be from the adaptation. It wasn’t a ground-breaking story, it’s again another relic of what could have been.

7 Likes

In that way, it’s a bit like the very odd and un-Doctor Who comments on religion and heaven in Farewell, Great Macedon. It’s an aspect I think would have been excised before it actually reached the screen as it seems pretty much at odds with anything else the series was saying in those early days.

6 Likes

Just finished Absolution.

Most of it? Mid. Last 20 minutes? Absolutely immense. Poor C’rizz, man. And the Doctor’s reaction… you can really draw a lot of parallels between the way 8 refuses to grieve his friend and the “I’m always alright” attitude most nuwho doctors have. Gonna listen to Girl Who Never was now since I’m a glutton for heartbreak.

8 Likes

Listened to The Secret of Cassandra and The Stone’s Lament on the way to work today.

They’re okay, oddly both featuring computers with the personalities and self-awareness. Not too sure about the audio quality, like maybe they hadn’t mastered the sound booths yet. I didn’t notice this with the previous couple releases, so maybe I’m just having an off day.

Both stories were okay to me, not standouts, but fine. I do think BF hit gold when the pegged Lisa Bowerman to play Benny.

The ride home, I expect to get through the next two in the range.

6 Likes

The absolute weirdest parts of Farewell for me were first of all when Susan seems absolutely convinced they’ve died and gone to heaven, and when The Doctor starts talking about his education like it happened on Earth towards the end, but they’re fascinating bits of weirdness.

5 Likes

Be aware that there are novels interwoven with the audios (thankfully, despite being out of print, Big has re-released them as unabridged audiobooks read by Benny herself. The Doomsday Manuscript occurs before Cassandra, The Gods of the Underworld and The Squire’s Crystal are between Cassandra and Stones, The Infernal Nexus is between Extiction and Skymines, and The Glass Prison is set at the end of Series 2. Unfortunately for people trying to just listen to the audios, The Squire’s Crystal, The Infernal Nexus and The Glass Prison are where major events happen including Benny’s pregnancy, the return of Jason Kane and the birth of Peter Summerfield.

7 Likes

This is a lovely graphic which helps on that front! From here, and I wish I’d had it when I went through Benny. I spent a long time on Tardis Wiki trying to figure it out :rofl:

9 Likes

Tardis Wiki has everything interlaced in their Bernice Summerfield series article: https://tardis.wiki/wiki/Bernice_Summerfield_(series)

5 Likes

Thanks, @DarthGallifrey - but no need to worry. I already have, and have read, almost all of the Benny books, though about 5 still elude me due to the exorbitant prices on the secondhand market.

I’ve also listened to all the audios I have previously, though with my memory, they may as well be brand new.

But yeah, I’m familiar with how vital events occur on audio or in print, and if you don’t bop back and forth between them, stuff can really come out of the blue.

5 Likes

I have tried to finish The Flames of Cadiz three times in the past day; hopefully with today off work and very little to actually do in the way of important things, I might do it.

3 Likes

I feel that one so hard, it’s both frustrating and fun that I can’t remember anything I’ve seen because it’s just like new all over again. It does make me bad at the DWM crossword though :frowning:

6 Likes

Assuming you’re not too burnt out on the story by now.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

5 Likes

Listening to You Can’t Joke About That by Kat Timpf, but also have the new episode of the Traveling the Vortex podcast queued up and plan on bingeing Morbius.

4 Likes

Listening to Minuet in Hell for Audio Club and almost gave up during episode 1. I don’t remember it being as bad as it is! And I take back what I said about the American accents - they are appalling; especially Governor Waldo, I say, Waldo ‘Foghorn Leghorn’ Pickering!

And those early scenes at the brothel would never get past BBC quality control nowadays!

12 Likes

As I said in another thread, the accents nearly put me off, but I ended up liking the story.

3 Likes