What are you currently listening to?

Are you doing The Dark Planet? I like that story - it really captures ‘weird 60s Who’.

2 Likes

I’ve got this, then two more Companion Chronicles (really, so thankful we got so much work from William Russell), then The Dark Planet. If it’s similar to this I think I’ll probably enjoy it. My major gripe so far is that it’s rather difficult to tell when Carole-Ann and William are doing their characters, or Barbara and The Doctor, especially in lengthy dialog sequences.

7 Likes

the true history of faction paradox

3 Likes

Finished The Next Life yesterday and onto Terror Firma!

6 Likes

Just finished The Eye of the Jungle. Is this the most interesting story? No. But I love David Troughton’s narration. It made the whole story feel like Doctor Who from the 1960s but with 11, Amy and Rory. I gave it 4/5 and I think that the narration is a big part of that score.

8 Likes

Finished with Terror Firma and Scaredy Cat, along with relistening to Scherzo for something like the 10th time

8 Likes

I’m going outside the Whoniverse for once :astonished::astonished:

Listening to the BBC full-cast dramatisation of George Orwell’s Animal Farm :+1:

8 Likes

What is this outside you talk about?

10 Likes

I know. I am watching over my shoulder all the time expecting Sutekh’s gift of Death to be bestowed upon me :face_with_peeking_eye:

9 Likes

Why would you do this to us? Why would you leave our bubble? Why are you betraying us and our perfect utopia? How dare you listen to anything else than Who? You are ruining our perfect, peaceful existence with your blasphemous actions!

Anyway, Orwell’s stories never grow old. I hope you enjoy the adaptation!

10 Likes

Taking a page out of Ricky September’s playbook, I don’t want to get eaten by a Mantrap by staying exclusively in our Bubble you know :wink:

Animal Farm is a masterpiece of analogous storytelling!

9 Likes

The AI auto-flagged this post. It probably is trying to save our bubble reality.

7 Likes

You prompted me to transfer my review to the site. As you say, nothing special but a very enjoyable listen due to Troughton’s narration.

5 Likes

My eldest has been doing Animal Farm for their English GCSE and they’ve been very into it. I remember doing it at school too.

4 Likes

I forget how caught-up my last post in this thread was, but recently I’ve at last finished Once and Future (a fun anniversary treat with some bits stronger and some weaker, but I don’t think it at all deserves the almost universal condemnation i saw it get upon release), Equilibrium (perhaps not as strong as Mistfall before it but still an interesting story), The Battle of Giants’ Causeway (just kinda odd, didn’t really recapture the era to me—partly bc of the length, partly bc C’rizz spent so much time separate from the Doctor & Charley), The Sontaran Ordeal (very much feels like “first attempt at a Time War story” but solid), and Night of the Vashta Nerada (quite good, gave much needed additional lore to the titular creatures and managed to subvert my expectations more than once into the bargain).

8 Likes

Is it sacrilege to say that I just didn’t enjoy “The Masters of Luxor”? Perhaps I went in with overly high expectations but it simply failed to make an impression on me. There was something about it that just felt wrong (and not in the right way, if you know what I mean).

7 Likes

I had issues with The Masters of Luxor (mostly the more overt than usual presence of 60s misogyny/gender essentialism), but I actually had the reverse experience, where I enjoyed the vibes and atmosphere of it so much that it left a pretty big impression on me, and I now remember it more fondly than Farewell, Great Macedon, despite distinctly thinking Macedon was the better when I initially listened to those two fairly close together

7 Likes

Just goes to show how rich the tapestry is, really. I loved (and still do love) “Farewell, Great Macedon”. :grinning:

6 Likes

It’s not a release that impressed me a huge amount either - certainly not compared to the other Lost Stories from that era like Macedon and Dark Planet.

5 Likes

This review covers this perfectly. What rating did you give it?

5 Likes