TV Time -- (but not Doctor Who)

I used to watch Red Dwarf back when it was on TV on a Sunday night. I distinctly remember wishing each episode would never end because as soon as it did, it was bedtime and school tomorrow :sob:

I’ve never seen Babylon 5. Even though I love spacey stuff, and B5 is very highly regarded, I’ve just never had the motivation to get into it! Same with Farscape and I think there’s another.

Tell me some good things about it and I may give it a go lol

10 Likes

I loved Babylon 5 and have watched it several times. It’s a brilliant space opera with some amazing character developments.
It truly came into its own in Season 2, but I also enjoyed Season 1.
(Some might consider it sacrilege, :wink: but I would nevertheless say one could start with Season 2 without any problems.)
There should be a remastered version available nowadays.

8 Likes

I’m a big SF fan and Farscape managed to bypass me too until very recently - I just finished it a few months ago and wow! It’s got a kind of Firefly feel to the aesthetic, and it’s so 90s in the best way. I thought all the stories were pretty strong and all the characters were really well thought out - there were hardly any moments where I was like ok this is really stupid. Which is a good sign for 90s SF!

12 Likes

I loved Farscape back in the day - I’m a huge fan of anything out of the Henson workshop - and have the entire series on DVD but have never watched it! I even have the Peacekeeper Wars sequel which my wife and I keep meaning to watch and never have. We’ve had the DVDs for the entire length of our relationship. We’ve been together since 2001…

It’s actually something I really want to rewatch this year so I may well be pushing for it to be our next rewatch (we’re currently working through Hustle).

9 Likes

As far as Red Dwarf goes, I watched all of it! Then they made a few more seasons, which I haven’t watched. Last one I watched had death, “The End”, and then “The Smeg it is!”, IIRC?

I watched a few episodes of Babylon 5. As often happens, I didn’t intentionally stop watching, I just didn’t continue, but I always meant to sometime.

Farscape, I watched a season or two of, I think? I enjoyed it, just I’d lost track of how far I’d gotten, and feel like I’d probably have to rewatch a fair bit of it to continue by now. It was good, though.

(I’ve also felt occasionally like I need to go through watching Sapphire & Steel, Blake 7, and Space 1999, all of which I’ve watched some of in the past. I have way too many things I need to watch, though.)

7 Likes

Red Dwarf is a huge favourite of mine and my eldest just watched everything from The End to The Promised Land and loved it. I joined them on rewatching a lot of the episodes and always remind myself of how brilliant that first series is and my god, that theme music - both the opening and the end credits - give me the feels!

It also reminded me of how awful Series 7 and 8 are and how much better the Dave era got (although it never quite returned to the calibre of the glory days).

Babylon 5 is a series other friends are always telling me is excellent but I remember watching a fair bit of the first series back in the 90s and finding it boring.

7 Likes

Yeah, I loved Red Dwarf and even own several Red Dwarf books, some of which are signed. I just never continued when they eventually picked it up again.

I know one of my issues later was just simply that I really liked the original Kristine Kochanski, and the recast bothered me. And the show was less interesting with the crew of the Red Dwarf alive again?

Definitely loved the theme music.

Babalon 5 is also in that bin where I’d have to rewatch what I’ve watched if I ever pick it up again. (Whereas Red Dwarf, I wouldn’t need to…)

As far as good openings, I quite like Sapphire & Steel’s, too.

6 Likes

Sapphire and Steel is great - like you that deserves a rewatch too.

10 Likes

You seem to collect far more books and DVDs than you can ever watch.

Are you a bit of a hoarder? :winking_face_with_tongue:

9 Likes

I’ve been sitting here trying to organize my (electronic) media collection and shrink videos as much as I can without having them look bad. I’m definitely a hoarder…

5 Likes

Babylon 5 is a novel for television. Each season is a book, and each episode is a chapter. There are plot threads that weave their way through the entire show and go in directions you wouldn’t think. It’s dense and adult, but not in a sexy way. There is real depth to everyone.

As G’Kar would say; “No one here is exactly what he appears.”

There are no absolutely good people, or absolutely bad people. One minute you will cheer for someone, another you will wish them dead.

Season One sets up the world and some of the ongoing plot, Season Two - Four are the ‘main’ thrust of the show, and season Five is the wind down. Out of 110 episodes, less than a handful are ‘duds’ or ‘unimportant’

It’s also great on a re-watch, as there will be elements in the early seasons that won’t pay off until near the end. If you can keep the story in your head, there will moments on the second watch through that will make you gasp with how far in advance they planted the seed.

The dialogue is great, the effects will hold up for a show from the 90s, the directing is great. Overall, this is a top tier show.

(and yes, DS9 plagiarised this show.)

12 Likes

Confession time, I have never seen Babylon 5.

8 Likes
5 Likes

Making a list of shows that I should watch in the future:

Red Dwarf
Babylon 5
Sapphire and Steel
Blake’s 7

How I’ll get the time to do that is another matter entirely :grin:

12 Likes

And the Prisoner?

10 Likes

Yes I’ve only heard good things about that show as well.
On the list :+1:

8 Likes

I have a simular list. I also have Avengers on it.

7 Likes

Just listing off the sci-fi on my NAS:

  • 3 Body Problem (only 1 season so far)
  • Altered Carbon (Season 1 ONLY)
  • Battlestar Galactica (RDM reboot)
  • Bodies (detective Sci-Fi mystery)
  • Farscape (great but it has been years since I watched it)
  • For All Mankind (alt history space race)
  • Fringe (very good)
  • Lost (I’ve watched it 5+ times)
  • Red Dwarf (this is my teen years)
  • Star Wars Rebels/Clone Wars (the best Star Wars since the OG trilogy IMO)
  • Stargate SG-1/Atlantis (nostalgia pick)
  • V (old but still good)
7 Likes

Non-Doctor Who TV Club for motivation? :wink:

10 Likes

It is probably the only way that it will happen.

6 Likes