TV Time - (but not Doctor Who!)

Looks solid.

1 Like

Karen and Alex :heart:

And the pirate captain :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Middle aged white man writes comedy drama about 'cancel culture". Oh dear.

7 Likes

Yeah, I also feel like this can go wrong. But hopefully, he does a good job.

It also feels similar to The Morning Show.

3 Likes

Watched 3 Body Problem season 1 yesterday. A very good adaptation of an already great book. I’m glad it’s been renewed through the third season. Hopefully it will adapt all three books.

4 Likes

My wife and I don’t see much TV but recently we watched the BBC forensic crime drama Traces, partly because it was recommended by a friend as having fairly decent autism rep, partly because it’s set in Dundee where our daughter is living. The first series is excellent, the second is still pretty good but they made a couple of choices which affected our enjoyment.

3 Likes

Random blast from the past. I distinctly remember watching this.

2 Likes

We’ve been watching Psych - really got into it now after not being sure at the start. The comedy is good but I can see the ‘fake psychic’ act getting tiresome if they keep it for much more than another season.

Also G’wed on ITV which is like a much ruder Liverpudlian Inbetweeners.

And Fortune Hotel which is basically a not as good Traitors knock off.

And every Sunday we rewatch an episode of Hustle - finished Series 5 last night.

2 Likes

Finished watching “Sugar” on Apple TV+. Brilliant storytelling, brilliant detective show.
Content warning: At times, very gruesome topics are depicted.

2 Likes

I’m currently watching season 2 of Monk on Netflix. It’s a brilliant series about a detective with OCD. It was my childhood show and watching it back after so many years brings back so many memories.

8 Likes

I’m currently catching up on The Boys. I’m about to start the previous season and then onto what is currently released. It’s a show I have to watch when my partner isn’t here. They don’t get why I like it.

5 Likes

I have only been semi-interested in this until now when all the MAGA people started crying about them being the bad guys. Now it is pretty high on my want-to-watch list.

6 Likes

It’s funny because right from the first five minutes you see this. It isn’t a surprise unless you really are an idiot. I won’t say more for spoiler reasons etc.

I read the boys in my 20s as it was coming out. The show is different in a lot of ways, but has the spirit of the comics in the places where it matters.

Along similar lines, there is Invincible and the cartoon adaptation. Explores somewhat similar themes. Also, the comics Irredeemable/Incorruptible have similar vibes.

Sorry for the comic ramble. A lot of my life I worked in a comic shop and read far too many comics.

7 Likes

I have read the first 10 trades of Invincible and really liked it.

5 Likes

Haven’t watched The Boys either, but it ends up on my vague list of things I should watch sometime both for this reason, and also because Jack Quaid is in it, and he’s great in Lower Decks…

4 Likes

Season 2 of ‘Will Trent’ is now streaming on Disney+ , with new episodes released weekly. This top-notch crime drama, based on the series of novels by Karin Slaughter, is one of the reasons I maintain my Disney+ subscription.
Content Warning: The show contains some strong themes

2 Likes

Oh I love The Boys, it’s so edgy and dark, just my kind of show. Haven’t had much time for TV lately so I will most likely binge this season when it’s all been released. I still need to watch Gen V as well.

The only other TV show I’ve been watching, slowly, is Inside Number 9, which is so great.

5 Likes

If I’m not catching up on Who and spinoffs, I’ll usually be found watching game shows or “cozy” mystery shows from old classics such as Columbo (and it’s ill-fated spinoff Mrs Columbo starring Captain Janeway!) to binging new series as they appear.

Particular favourites still being made at the moment include Death in Paradise, Beyond Paradise, Professor T (the English version, I haven’t yet seen the original), Harry Wild, Whitstable Pearl and even the funny but sometimes cringe-worthy Sister Boniface.

Top of the list, however, are two New Zealand shows: Brokenwood Mysteries and My Life is Murder both of which have a lovely laid-back Kiwi vibe. The latter stars Lucy Lawless and I enjoy that show so much that I have now started watching her in Xena Warrior Princess which I missed when it was originally released.

6 Likes

We’ve started watching American Born Chinese which has a rather lovely vibe and gentle atmosphere with some great performances and a more subtle depiction of US high school that you usually get in films and TV.

4 Likes

I watch the podcast Babylon 5 For The First Time. Whenever they post a new episode, I watch the episode they are going to talk about, and then watch their take. Only a handful of episodes left. So…

I’m currently watching Babylon 5: Movements of Fire and Shadow. S05E17.

Other than Doctor Who and Red Dwarf, B5 is probably the show I’ve rewatched the most.

4 Likes