TV Time - (but not Doctor Who!)

Psych is so much fun.

7 Likes

We’ve just finished Season 1 and it is a lot of fun. I wasn’t sure to begin with and there are definitely some bits which wouldn’t pass muster nowadays but the leads are likeable and the plots fun. I do hope the ‘pretending to be psychic’ stuff gets phased out though because it’ll get tiresome after another season of it.

We’re nearly at the end of American Born Chinese which has been lots of fun and something a bit different from the usual fare (which is probably why hardly anyone talked about it). The Monkey vibes are strong and there’s some great performances from a very good cast.

Also started Alma’s Not Normal on the strength of Sophie Willan’s appearance on Taskmaster - utterly hilarious!!! (If anyone else has seen it, the gag about Beaker had me roaring with laughter).

5 Likes

I am currently re-watching Dirk Gently. Season 1 was absolutely brilliant. However, I only watched a few episodes of Season 2. For some reason, it didn’t captivate me as much as Season 1 did. Maybe this time around, it’ll work its magic.:slight_smile:

7 Likes

I really need to watch Farscape.

7 Likes

I have it on my server, but it has been a few years since I watched it, so I don’t know how well it holds up. It was very enjoyable and different.

3 Likes

Also throwing LEXX out there if anyone has seen that.

3 Likes

I watched some of it years ago & did enjoy it just never got round to seeing the rest.

The presence of blue skinned alien women may or may not have enhanced my enjoyment :joy:

5 Likes

Chiana is great…or maybe you mean Zhaan.

I remember buying it on DVD. Each DVD had 2 episodes on it, and each season was split into 4 box sets at £25 each. It was a total ripoff.

9 Likes

Zhaan! Virginia Hey from Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior.

6 Likes

Yeah, she is great in Farscape.

5 Likes

she’s my favourite in Farscape :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Very very very weird.

3 Likes

Weird, but awesome, and very creative.

Some of the most interesting ‘mainstream’ sci-fi I’ve ever seen.

5 Likes

I watched ‘Douglas is cancelled’ today, a new miniseries by Steven Moffat, starring Alex Kingston and Karen Gillan. I was a bit worried because of the title that it would be a very one-sided critique of ‘cancel culture’ 'you can’t say anything anymore ’ type of thing but it really wasn’t that at all. Instead it was, in my opinion, a well thought out drama (and it very much is a drama!) on sexism, sensationalism and gender based violence (think me too). It’s got plot twists and amazing performances (especially Karen Gillan). There were some parts that made me cringe a bit, especially in the first two episodes but stick around because episode three has an intense shift in tone, being basically a horror piece to me, incredibly acted and filmed (spoiler for trigger warnings here though, in case you need them because it is very intense: the entire third episode deals with a job interview Madeline (Karen Gillan’s character) has with a producer, strongly implying he rapes her/has sex with her in exchange for the job).

6 Likes

Watching the new series of 911 and the first three episodes on the sinking ship were superb - a properly knowing riff on The Poseidon Adventure. Not sure about the recast Harry or what is going on with Buck in episode 4 though…!

3 Likes

Well, I’ve spent today watching Series 3 and 4 of The Chosen. I’m an atheist, but it’s a well done story that gets some tears from me.

4 Likes

Can’t quite say I’m currently watching this… but Season 2 of Star Trek Prodigy drops within the next few hours (and already has in some places, I believe), and given it’s the entire reason I currently have a Netflix subscription, I’m definitely going to be watching it.

6 Likes

The first episode of season 2 of Prodigy seems to have both a character using the phrase “timey-wimey”, and the Robert Picardo Doctor. Enjoying it so far!

Edit: And looks like the temporal shenanigans are ensuing…

5 Likes

Okay, everything is definitely getting interesting…

4 Likes

As we are discussing Planet of Giants in TV Club anyone remember this?

3 Likes