Speculating on the season finale

Yup. Things are invariably more complex than people assume. As usual, people were quick to judge and even quicker to “hate”. It’s such a shame because I genuinely believe that each showrunner has genuinely cared about the show and put a great deal of hard work into making it the best they can. We might not always agree on the details (or, sometimes, even the direction) but surely we can agree that these people work damned hard… and, ultimately, they’re doing it to entertain us. It’s very perverse when they are slammed for it. Imagine trying to do your everyday job, yet being subject to abuse from random members of the public that you’ve never even met. We live in strange times.

12 Likes

It also seems unfair that the showrunners get blamed for Every Single Minute Aspect of all production completely, never mind if they didn’t write an episode or have no power over the advertising. And I get it that they’re the main figure, but not everything is in fact always their fault. No wonder they struggle to fill the showrunner role because it seems to involve making yourself into one big target

11 Likes

a lot of people seemed to think the bbc had some sort of conspiracy against chris chibnall/his era, generally with the undertone of “they don’t like it because it’s diverse.” i have some strong opinions on all of that but it doesn’t surprise me that something was going on. i do think having a single showrunner puts wayyy too much responsibility + work on one person’s shoulders, it seems like a questionable structure to be honest.

12 Likes

To continue on the topic, I’m also intrigued to see this. I find it weird how we’ve had so few scenes inside the TARDIS, considering the big, beautiful and expensive new set they’ve built for the new era. We barely even see the Doctor and Ruby enter and exit the ship :sweat_smile:

This is something I’ve seen brought up before. It would be easier on the workload for all if they went back to the Classic Who model of a separate producer and a story editor, one responsible for the overall production and promotion, the other responsible for the scripts and storylines. And it would be great to see more writers as well!

13 Likes

What lovely words you have in Finland :wink:

10 Likes

I love it when Doctor Who gets under my skin like this.

It’s a good model. I agree with you. The televisual business has changed quite a bit, often for the better but this is one area where the older model had real advantages.

7 Likes

That’s my inner Danish guy shining through - these words simply roll off the tongue.

(Seriously, though. My autocorrect has failed me, again!!!)

7 Likes

The showrunner model is an American thing that the BBC and Doctor Who wanted to recreate for the revival. I just think that Doctor Who has always been too small to function effectively under such a model. We know how RTD1 nearly killed RTD due to his workload and Moffat was very tired at the end of his reign as well. This is probably a huge reason as to why it’s so difficult to find new showrunners to keep the show going - it’s a very tough position for anyone to take!

11 Likes

A problem shared is a problem halved, as they say! :grin:

7 Likes

You need to retake those Danish lessons…
We don’t use ö :wink:

That would be an ø :grin:

7 Likes

I know, I know but it sounds like an ö! :laughing:

And for our lovely international co-fans, it makes no difference whatsoever :wink:

5 Likes

But how will they learn otherwise? :grin::grin::grin:

5 Likes

It’s going all Scandinavian again…

8 Likes

You are saying that like it’s a bad thing :tada:

9 Likes

Scandinavian peeps, Scandinavian peeps! What ya gonna do, what ya gonna do when they come for you!

You don’t know what you did when you let us join the site :wink:

10 Likes

We definitely needed a better screening process…

10 Likes

We are slowly but surely realising our plan to convert you all into fellow Scandinavians—you will move here and begin speaking our beautiful languages!

(Finland isn’t technically a part of Scandinavia, but we don’t need to think about that…).

9 Likes

Oops - no offence to the Scandinavians meant by my crass homogenisation!

10 Likes

RTD’s recent IG update

IMG_20240620_134559_931

Object on a Planet with no name :thinking: In The Impossible Planet the Captain says something along the lines of “It doesn’t have a name, how could it have a name?”. Are they going for a situation here where Sutekh and the Beast are one and the same and this happens long before 10 arrived on that planet? (Though wasn’t it later said it was called Krop Tor? I’m getting confused here :wink:

11 Likes

And how does one shake a Sutekh at something?

9 Likes