K9 - How?!?! Why?!?!

I’m 7 episodes into K9 and you’re right, it’s so bad that it becomes comical. I just don’t understand why there are so many episodes.

5 Likes

I’ve reached the infamous Mind Snap, which I can only describe as audacious and unearned. Clip show episodes are generally contrived and unnecessary anyway, but in a series that took so long to find its feet, the idea of presenting the audience with “highlights” from the series so far is nuts!

It challenges The Hollows of Time as the worst addition to the Whoniverse for me.

2 Likes

Now I want to listen to The Hollows of Time :joy:

2 Likes

The main advantage Mind Snap has over it is that it’s only 22 minutes long…!

2 Likes

This entire thread convinced me to give this one a go. No matter how bad it is, I simply have to check it out (and get that badge!).

I love it that this thread about how awful K9 is has:

A) Lasted this long and got so many comments and
B) Convinced people to watch the show

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

I’m now more than halfway through it because of this thread. It’s gotten slightly better, but the bar wasn’t set very high.

2 Likes

Have a stiff drink ready (and I don’t drink alcohol, so that should give you some idea as to how bad it gets).

1 Like

Booo, I love The Hollows of Time lol

The very bottom of the pile for me is Birthright, Random Shoes, Order of Simplicity, and Twice Upon a Time

1 Like

I’m with you on Twice Upon a Time - don’t get the enthusiasm for that one. Which Birthright though? I loved the book when I first read it and thought the audio was pretty good - it’s got extra Colin too.

2 Likes

I absolutely hated the book. I was excited for it, having really enjoyed Timewyrm: Apocalypse by the same author and knowing it was a Doctor-lite story, but it ended up being the only novel I’ve read so far that I felt had basically no redeeming features. Mediocre prose, every regular out of character, boring plot with incredibly predictable twists, a climax that felt like a ripoff of Transit’s without the emotional impact, and worst of all making the Doctor feel like an out-and-out villain by the end.

It’s in my bottom three novels alongside Timewyrm: Genesys and Head Games.

I mean, it’s been literally years since I read it, but I remember really enjoying it and particularly enjoying Bernice’s Victorian London parts.

Isn’t it funny how we can all have completely different reactions to stories!

2 Likes

10 episodes in and I’ve yet to see any increase in quality, please tell me it happens soon :wink:

Pros:

• The music is actually decent, it kind of seems like the composer is trying to mimic Murray Gold. Plus the music is not as loud in the sound mix as Gold’s was - I always found the use of Gold’s music in Doctor Who to be turned up to 11 to increase emotional impact, to the music’s detriment.
  • I kinda like the title sequence

Cons:

• K9 can fly
  • K9’s design
  • Costuming
  • Absolutely no insight as to what they could do with the CGI level available
  • Set design
  • Monster designs
  • Weak plots
  • Casting
  • Shaky cams
  • Directing
  • Editing
  • The actor who played Jorjie clearly watched early Harry Potter movies too many times, severe annoyed Hermione vibes.

This is an absolute [redacted]show of proportions but I can’t keep my eyes off it :joy:

4 Likes

The quality only gets better :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

It will be a little bit better soon but don’t expect too much.

2 Likes

Oh my expectations are sufficiently lowered believe you me :wink:

Woah - Random Shoes is my favourite episode of Torchwood from series 1/2. We’re polar opposites! :joy:

2 Likes

Given the length of the series and familiarity of the characters there is an element of Stockholm Syndrome by the end.

For me it got a little better about 15 episodes in. Although I thought the Dream Eaters ep wasn’t as bad as the others in the first half of the series.

I gave that episode a 1/5 :star: :grimacing:
But I am with you on Random Shoes being good, I loved Gwen in that one

1 Like

I love Random Shoes too :heart:

1 Like