K9 - How?!?! Why?!?!

I am 75% the way through watching K9 as part of my current chronological watch through which includes spin-offs and ephemera. The first 50% is a massive slog, often appalling, but believe it or not it does get better.

The biggest change is when the character of Drake (a bad guy) is phased out halfway through the series. The worst character played by the worst actor. He is replaced by Thorne who is a much better bad guy played by a genuinely good, quite intimidating actor. The entire cast’s performance is lifted by this.

So far Taphony and the Time Loop has proved easily the best episode for me, one of a very small handful that aren’t terrible. I’d even go as far as to say its a genuinely good piece of children’s TV (8/10). Helped by the fact its got more of a time travel element to it.

One small thing in K9’s defense is that one of its tropes is that aliens often end up being goodies which is a nice message for a kids TV show. The production, writing and acting is often horrific though. I suppose setting a show in the UK but filming it in Aus with Australian actors is an uphill battle to begin with.

6 Likes

There is a really great Doctor Who Magazine interview with the team behind the show, from the time. I’d have to fish it out though (I’m reading all the back issues of DWM as part of my current watch-through!!!) RTD is quoted as saying that he admired Bob Baker’s persistence in pushing through and getting this show made. The quote was put to Baker who responded with surprise and delight.

I believe this was the only comment that anyone from the BBC or the main show ever made about K9. The BBC had to negotiate the rights to use K9 in The Sarah Jane Adventures (he could only be in the main spin off every now and then). In return the K9 team was allowed to use a remodeled version of the character, with the same voice actor.

John Leeson did well out of it - lots of voice acting gigs!!

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Iam completely with you that is much better at the later episodes. My favorite was Lost Library of Ukko which nearly felt like a premise that would work in SJA or the regular show.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @15thDoctor - and it’s good to know it improves. I’m always willing to give things a chance if they’re even tangentially associated with the great Who.

1 Like

Totally agree! That one is my second fave so far, with a 7/10.

Deborah Parsons as the best writer on this show and this was her third and final script. Because the cast is in much better form at this point in the series, finally they are able to help the script sing to its full potential.

(Thanks for the welcome!!)

3 Likes

Haha - it is SO tangential though. Feels even less official than the BBV and Reeltime Productions in some ways. The fact it aired at the same time as series 5 and SJA series 4 makes a chronological watch through of the show really busy at this point haha.

2 Likes

We’ve got a few threads on old DWM issues (currently #1-3, 175). I only plan on going through #200 since that the extent of what I have access to.

2 Likes

Ha, I meant just generally that if it’s related to the parent show, I’ll give it a chance even if it’s a struggle.

1 Like

Absolutely. I’m a completionist in this regard. Even if I don’t enjoy what I’m watching!!

3 Likes

Woah - a clip show. I am not looking forward to that. Amazing!

1 Like

I want a secret special edition of the elimination game with all the K9 episodes :joy:

3 Likes

Patron exclusive? That’ll get people to part with their money for sure…

1 Like

Hiya @15thDoctor and welcome to forum. Just like you I stick through it. I will probably do a rewatch again one of these days hehe.

2 Likes

Yeah. It’s pretty bad. But the theme tune OWNS

4 Likes

Welcome @15thDoctor, more K9 fans, that badge is going to be handed out a few more times then!

Glad to hear it gets better. It couldn’t get any worse to be honest.

I wonder if K9 will be back in the main show at any point?

3 Likes

That’s so true. The title sequence is very strong all round. How many iconic theme tunes can a K9 have? (Two.)

Thanks Shauny! The site continues to delight.

Yes - “only” 7 episodes until I get my badge.

K9 eventually turning up is inevitable, I hope Ncuti gets some time with him. :heartpulse:

4 Likes

Just as long as he doesn’t fly around like in K9, put a magnetic clamp on him or something :wink:
I want him low on power and Ncuti having to carry him around :grin:

4 Likes

Episode 6 “Fear Itself” was a downright painful experience - this show is hilariously bad :joy:

1 Like

Sounds like you are starting to really understand the greatness of this show