K9 - How?!?! Why?!?!

Just watched the two first episodes of the k9 show (was interested because of the bad ratings). It is so bad it is almost fun. The acting is terrible and the story is worse. This leaves 2 questions.

How was this allowed by the BBC?
Why did this happen?

12 Likes

Haha. It was nothing to do with the BBC! A weird quirk of how the characters are licensed, it was made in Australia.

2 Likes

As an Australian, I Apologise

10 Likes

(Though Network 10 is hardly known for its quality programming, they should’ve partnered with the ABC)

That is even stranger. Is this the same thing as why they almost had to do the new who whitout Dalkes?

Apparently the co-creator of the character desperately wanted to make a show about K9 but was stuck in development hell for years until I guess Australia wanted in on the Dr Who action.

1 Like

Fun Fact: It was filmed in Tegan’s (and Janet Fielding’s) home town of Brisbane! (and also where I used to live/go to uni so watching it was an absolute trip recognising the filming locations)

4 Likes

Funny thing is how many episodes they made. I checked out the whole series because I love k9 and personally I should have passed.

3 Likes

There was almost even a movie, for some reason…

I’ve only managed 8 episodes of this. One of the things I can’t get my head around is the fact they scripted it as set in London but it looks nothing like London, not even a London of the future. I think it would be a little more palatable if they had just set it in Australia. Australia has given us some pretty good sci-fi in the past (anyone else remember The Girl from Tomorrow) so there’s no reason, really, this should be as bad as it is.

There’s some really weird direction/editing in it; some people are obviously dubbed in post production but somewhere in there are some actually decent ideas and decent performances.

I will finish it at some point because leaving it unfinished eats away at my soul…

And John Leeson is still great as K9.

2 Likes

This was the Omega film which ended up in rights hell. Sadly, now that Bob Baker has passed, I don’t know who the rights rest with (although I have a strong suspicion) and, in his latter days, I do think Baker may have been taken advantage of somewhat.

2 Likes

I love Australian K9, it’s so much fun to watch. The characters and worldbuilding are almost interesting sometimes. There’s one episode where they have to play the theme tune of the show on the pipe organ to stop a wind-controlling alien from destroying the world.

2 Likes

Wow ok, I never made it that far into the series, perhaps I need to pick it up again. That sounds ridiculous, but in a good way :grin:

I saw the first episode. Couldn’t bring myself to do more. Some of the episode titles are pretty fantastic though :smile:

2 Likes

Just did a search here on :tardis: Guide. K9 episode 22 “Mind Snap” has the lowest rating of anything televised in the Whoniverse - an abysmal 1,1 :star: :grimacing:
I definitely need to watch this at some point :joy:

1 Like

I know. That score makes me really interested in this show and what made me start to watch it in the first place.

3 Likes

& this one didn’t go to series :sob:

5 Likes

The K9 annual is a great way of seeing what a series of this might have been like (basically Scooby Doo but the dog’s a robot).

3 Likes

Watch 3 more episodes of K9 now and I am starting to find it cute. Don’t get me wrong it is bad but it is starting to become fun bad. I think it helps that I am really tired but have to be awake with my youngest child who can’t sleep.

5 Likes

I have started to appreciate this show. Don’t get me wrong it is a bad show. But it has started to be bad in a good way. My favorite part is the love triangle between the three main characters.

One thing that helps me is to only watch this when I am tired. And with small kids that happens a lot. It is perfect to watch this when you can’t focus on anything else. I am on episode 18 now and I will never rewatch it. But I will miss it when it is over.

4 Likes