Is there another order of watching Classic Who

I watched classic Who in Chronological Order a while back and I am thinking of watching it all again.

I was thinking that there might be a better order to watch it in. When I watched them in that order I tend to get tired of some Doctors during their last season or two. Has anyone done another type of watch order that they can recommend?

9 Likes

The Randomiser on the TARDIS Guide is the answer to your problems :sunglasses:

12 Likes

there are lists out there of every doctor who episode in chronological order of when they were set. i haven’t tried such a rewatch but i find the concept entertaining.

8 Likes

If there was a “Stories I have only watched once” it would be perfect :joy:

8 Likes

Though about that one.

6 Likes

If by chronological order you mean the order in which they are aired, maybe check this out

6 Likes

There’s always alphabetical.

That could get messy with some Hartnell stories, and with how you approach the Trial of a Time Lord season.

10 Likes

I was thinking about going for going for all story 1 and then going for all of story 2 and then 3… has anyone tried this?

5 Likes

You could sort them by highest rated, and do one from each Doctor at a time.

(Or go by lowest rated first if you want the stories to get better and better)

How about sorting by number of ratings, which would showcase not just popular but also maybe controversial episodes.

How about find the most-favourited quotes from each Doctor and then watch the episode it’s from?

Or just go the randomiser route.

I could actually add that at some point, if you’ve been marking how many rewatches you’ve done (a Patron feature).

9 Likes

Do you mean like An Unearthly Child, The Power of the Daleks, Spearhead from Space, Robot, Castrovalva, The Twin Dilemma, and Time and the Rani; then The Daleks, The Highlanders, Doctor Who and the Silurians, The Ark in Space, Four to Doomsday, Attack of the Cybermen, Paradise Towers; and so on?

That might still end with fatigue just because you’d run out of 6th & 7th Doctor stories before very long, then 5th & 2nd Doctor stories, and by the time you’d finished every other Doctor you’d still have over a season of Tom Baker left (although it would certainly still be an interesting journey and that final Tom season is pretty varied, unlike the two before it)

10 Likes

Exactly. I think that even if it will be a lot of T Baker by the end it will be more of a mix before that

8 Likes

Interesting suggestions. I need to think about how I want to tackle this.

6 Likes

I’ve just typed out what that order would be lol, bc I was curious. In fact after the last non-Fourth Doctor story you’d have The Armageddon Factor and onward, so all of s17 as well as s18.

You, would also get The Caves of Androzani, The Daleks’ Master Plan, and The War Games in a row, which would be pretty cool.

10 Likes
  • Watch them in the release order of their target novelisations as any sane person would :eyes:
16 Likes

And read them at the same time :books:

9 Likes

More to be seen as a joke but:
Watch them based on the villain/monster/antagonist starting with the one that appears the most in order of the chronology for the antagonist species.

10 Likes

Now I am more interested in doing this :hugs:

5 Likes

Actually, if you’re really interested in going a route like first one for each, then second one for each, etc. you can adjust that to space them out more evenly, based on % completed.

In other words, you’d start out 0% completed for each Doctor, so you’d watch one for each Doctor, then your smallest % completed would be for the 4th Doctor, since he has the most stories, so you’d do his second one next, then the second 1st Doctor, and so on. You’d still be finishing up on Logopolis, but it wouldn’t just be a block of T. Baker at the end.

8 Likes

Step One: Watch ‘The Happiness Patrol’
Step Two: Watch ‘Meglos’
Step Three: Watch ‘The Krotons’
Step Four: Sit back and relax, knowing you have watched all that is worth watching in Classic Doctor Who

13 Likes

You can go by themes… like
Historical episodes
A set of episodes where a companion leaves and new one comes on board
Reoccurring villains (right now I am watching episodes featuring the Great Intelligence)
Timelord related episodes (although Hartnell would be out of the picture there :thinking: )

6 Likes