Episode Discussion: Space Babies

@ItsR0b0tNinja why did you edit capital letters into my post? is there a rule on this forum about using capitalization? and why on earth would you edit my post without my knowledge or consent rather than contacting me and asking me to adjust my speech patterns? i do not type the way i type out of ignorance of capitalization rules. (edit: especially when multiple other people in this very thread have been speaking without capitalization without their posts being edited, and my post was edited within under a minute of my posting?)

2 Likes

My apologies. I was just checking out what I could do. Didn’t mean to save it.

2 Likes

huh, got it. wild that mods can edit posts. thanks for responding, sorry to come on so strong. :saluting_face:

1 Like

It comes in handy sometimes. When we have forum games where you can only post in a thread every 20 hours, you also can only edit the posts that often, so we end up having to edit people’s posts to fix mistakes.

I also sometimes edit people’s posts to add spoilers if they left something in the open that might spoil other people on something.

4 Likes

Oh, he is a handsome [redacted], but i don’t think my partner would appreciate me spending too much time on that.

I don’t like that sort of joke. It didn’t work for me.

2 Likes

It was my fault. I’d feel the same. :rofl:

2 Likes

okay, sure, i will begrudgingly admit it’s useful…

literally no worries. and like i would get it if there was some kind of rule about capitalization, like i would disagree but i get why someone might implement that, i just react strongly to that kind of editing!

anyway. back to what’s really important:

7 Likes

raw

2 Likes

Ncuti is just SO charming in this one no matter how you feel about the level of silliness. when he laughs sooo hard at Ruby getting snotted… if i wasn’t already in love with him before that part had me infatuated. they’re so totally two bffs who have the same uni classes together and stay up til 3am texting each other. its such a real besties dynamic. VERISIMILITUDE

8 Likes

i loveeee their dynamic! makes me so happy to see them together. i knew i was going to like fifteen from the second he showed up in the giggle but i’m so happy to like ruby and her dynamic with him as well!

6 Likes

Okay, guys. I finally watched this one and The Devil’s Chord on Tuesday (after rewatching Ruby Road), and I’ve been gathering my thoughts for a couple of days.

Space Babies is weird, a bit childish, and very recognisably RTD. It’s not the strongest season opener, but it’s not too bad either. The plot is straightforward, the jokes are largely unfunny (I didn’t find Ncuti’s constant reference to the story’s title amusing, nor did I find the butterfly gag at the beginning particularly amusing), and there are a lot of poop jokes, as if we’re back in 2005. The idea of a spaceship full of babies is equally bizarre and eerie, and it only works in Doctor Who. And the political allegories are subtle enough not to feel too forced.

Ncuti and Milloe are magical. Ncuti has good, youthful energy and feels like the Doctor already. Actually, the Bogeyman is a fun gag, and I appreciate its effective scariness, which is a result of the camera work and editing (clearly inspired by Alien). The monster costume looks great, and the spaceship set is huge and detailed. The animation on the babies’ mouths looks very wrong.

Oh, and I love how this harks back to The End of the World! I love how the Doctor introduces those new Time Lord names!

Overall, this is a 6/10 for me.

12 Likes

Meh it was alright. Some pretty heavy kids TV vibes here - and not in the way that “Doctor Who was also a family show” - I mean like actual kids TV. Ncuti and Millie are great together, and I’m happy to have taken that away from this at least

4 Likes

I loved this line. Really made me laugh and let’s be honest, it’s the truth :joy: x

1 Like

I added screen grabs for all the quotes on this episode because of course I did, I’m obsessed.

Note that they are displaying a bit strange on desktop at the moment, need to fix them, but they appear better on a single quote page and the full quotes section.

8 Likes

I liked the episode .all the babies were so cute and adorable . I mean this in a complimentary way .it reminded me of the evian Babies advert .any uk people on here remember these ads :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Completely forgot those ads before you mentione, but now that you have, I can see it

3 Likes

This may just be the line that sums Doctor Who’s view of the universe best out of the entire last 60+ years.

It’s funny, because there is such optimism and joy at the heart of this show and yet it often has a much more pessimistic (one might even say realistic in some respects) outlook on the future in comparison to non-UK sci fi shows. If any line sums up the so-called “Britishness” of the show, it’s that one.

12 Likes

Outside of the atrocious title, I think people are a little harsh on it. I think RTD done an amazing job of tying it into the Doctor and Ruby’s backgrounds as foundlings.

As of this evening, my review of ‘Space Babies’ is available to read.

Walking blooming sneeze!

#1.01. Space Babies

If you enjoy reading these reviews, do feel free to drop them a like - I’m working towards those illustrious reviewer badges.

7 Likes

Gave your review a well earned ‘like’. Whilst I do see why so many people have beef with this episode, it is one I enjoy immensely.

Speaking of weird nightmares, your swan nightmare is certainly unusual. To that I would add my own surreal childhood nightmare of being trapped in the bathroom whilst an animated pumpkin of enormous size was smashing down the door. Very random. Nightmares can be weird!

One of the criticisms I’ve seen of this story is that a monster made of living snot is ridiculous and not biologically feasible (because everything else in DW always makes perfect sense! :wink: ). I would suggest that such criticisms are misplaced precisely because of the parthenogenesis machine and the fact that it used snot as the source of biological material to generate the bogeyman. Snot is rich in DNA, thus contains all the biological coding necessary to create a humanoid creature. Moreover, the chemical composition of complex polysaccharides, mucin and proteins such as lactotransferrin make for excellent raw materials from which to fashion much biological matter.

Hmmm, Who fandom certainly takes me to strange places. Didn’t anticipate writing about the feasibility of bogeyman biology when I started writing this reply. Anyway, thank @PalindromeRose as I’d never have started down that path if it wasn’t for being prompted by your own excellent review extolling the virtues of an oft maligned episode.

Count me a fan too. :smiley:

11 Likes

I’m with you on this. Of course we knew where it was going. That’s precisely why it was funny! Even moreso because you could feel the Doctor’s building glee (as you say) and Ruby’s escalating disgust.

8 Likes