Big Finish: The Monthly Adventures

aaaaaaaaa I love when audio dramas stamp all over my heart <3 maybe one to avoid listening to in public then! I literally had to stop what I was doing in the workshop to go :astonished: at the end of Gods and Monsters haha

3 Likes

omg i bet youll love this one then lol. before i started it i was thinking to myself ā€œif theres a conversation where [SPOILER] its going to ruin meā€ and then there was and it was fantastic

1 Like

I absolutely love seeing peopleā€™s first reactions to Protect and Survive, its a very good audio.

Seeing as others are saying their personal fave audios Iā€™ll post a few of mine (you might notice a trend):

Arrangements for War
Thicker Than Water
A Death in the Family
The Secret History
Subterfuge
The Two Masters
The Last

I love all of these audios but especially ADitF, that one destroyed me in all the right ways

5 Likes

Finished the Divergent Universe arc, definitely a mixed bag. I donā€™t have much to say, so Iā€™ll keep things short:

Scherzo - instant classic. 4 stars

Creed of the Kromon - Phillip, why? 0.5 stars

The Natural History of Fear - everyone clearly had fun on this one, and so did I. 4 stars

The Twilight Kingdom - it exists. 1.5 stars

Faith Stealer - in one ear and out the other (granted, I was in the middle of being discharged from hospital when I listened to this one, so I might not have given it a fair chance. Iā€™m not in a hurry to relisten to it though). 1.5 stars

The Last - Wannabe Warriorā€™s Gate. Cool atmosphere but way too long. 1.5 stars

Caedroia - simple fun. 3 stars

The Next Life - I liked having a six parter for a change, but itā€™s way too exposition heavy and the TARDIS trio barely contribute anything. Zagreus handled its lore dumping better. 2.5 stars

Next up, Iā€™ll be finishing off my 7, Ace and Hex stories (Angel of Scutari - Lurkers at Sunlightā€™s Edge).

7 Likes

Im currently making my way through the Divergent Universe arc as well. Scherzo is a perfect 10/10 for me but I agree that Kromon is pretty bad. I havenā€™t listened to the rest yet, thereā€™s just too much other stuff getting in my way :joy:

5 Likes

lmao yeah, unfortunately I donā€™t have anything nicer to say than this either. The Divergent Universe isā€¦ fine. But I donā€™t really rate Charley, and poor Cā€™Rizz is inconsistent at best, and the Kromon isā€¦ well, yeah. So not a lot about that arc works for me, alas

2 Likes

I just finished the Burning Prince trilogy, and I found them to be okay. The first story was definitely the best and the last one was fun, and the middle one was kind of boring, to be kind to it. Not a trilogy I particularly want to repeat tbh. But the fact that Vienna Salvatori showed up in the last one took me by surprise - I was aware vaguely of her spinoff series but I didnā€™t realise she was a MR original (tbh I didnā€™t realise she was from the whoniverse at all :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s one I never got around to. A large chunk of the later half of the Main Range are ones I havenā€™t gotten around to.

1 Like

Same, this is partly why Iā€™m doing them in order because I had scatteredly listened to most of the first 100 in the past, but Iā€™m well into unknown territory now, which is fun. My next milestone will be The Assassination Games because thatā€™s the next one Iā€™ve already listened to (and love!!)

1 Like

Oh mood. Finally listened to it in late 2021, after 8 years of seeing it hyped up (and memed) so much on tumblr and felt So Disappointed at the long convoluted mess it ended up being. Especially after the masterpiece that is Neverland.

That saying though, definitely enjoyed it a lot more on the second listen, without the baggage of those expectations colouring it (plus I was still procrastinating on listening to Scherzo, even after putting it off/falling off the dr who train for 2 years lol)

2 Likes

Finished the Hector arc and alas the main adventures with Hex. The trilogy was mainly a dissapointment in everything that had to do with Hector. Briging back Hex as a different person was a very interesting premise, especially seeing how they barely any similarities but the fudge all of that and what is worse the waste Philip Olivier. Heā€™s perfomance as Hector is strong but itā€™s ruined by the writing. For something like this should have left him dead Itā€™s not all bad, they gave Hex half a decent ending and the final scene itā€™s kinda moving.

To remove some of the bat taste i listened to Muse of Fire, an absolute blast and something i see myself relistening quite a lot. It features the return of Iris Wildthyme in the Main Range and sheā€™s the clear standout, with a terrific perfomance of Katy Manning. Great characters and great performances all around.

I aslo listened to the last stories with Erimem which also sees the ending of the stories Peri with 5th. At least in MR. I liked them all and Erimem has a satisfaying ending. Iā€™m not sad but i will certainly miss her. They were a powerful team that lifted whatever they were in.

4 Likes

Iā€™m rapidly approaching the Hector stories and I am a little dubious because the end of Gods and Monsters was so good. But I will see when I get there I guess.

Muse of Fire is a classicccc and I also felt Erimemā€™s end was strong, I thought she was a very strong character even if she didnā€™t always have the best stories.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a pity that she didnā€™t got to come back. The end very obviously serves for a comeback. I donā€™t even know if she was ever mentioned again, certainly not in the Doctor and Periā€™s stories iā€™ve listened and iā€™ve listened to a LOT.

2 Likes

Erimem has been quietly forgotten at BF I think partly because they got a bit uncomfortable having a character of ā€˜colourā€™ being played by a white actress (including using her on cover illustrations). I also believe she wasnā€™t as popular with Briggs as she was with Gary Russell so her time at the company got curtailed somewhat when Briggs took over.

7 Likes

It really is a shame as she was such a great character.

2 Likes

Listened to The Wrong Doctors in the workshop today, and it completely lifted my bad mood. I love it when BF does stories that are genuinely fun, and this was definitely one of them.

And I suppose I ought to start advertising my reviews a little better if I want the badges, so I have been reviewing my MR listen since about Gods and Monsters, and this is the latest one!

3 Likes

I understand all that, it was definitely an unfortunate thing but i loved her all the same. Iā€™d take at least one little mention, a breadcrum.

3 Likes

Managed to get through a hearty chunk of MR stories this week (which means I am woefully behind on reviews), but I must say Iā€™ve been enjoying this stretch! The little trio of Six stories were all delightful; I was pleased to find that I didnā€™t find any of the three Five stories boring and I particularly enjoyed the Lady of Mercia; and Iā€™ve just started the next Klein trilogy, and sheā€™s always fun (even if I had to tardiswiki her bc I forgot what happened in the last one)

AND Iā€™m only like four away from The Assassination Games!!! Countermeasures gang I love you <3

7 Likes

Wayyy behind on writing these, but here are my reviews for the other two Six stories of the trio!

Only five more to go :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Listened to Fanfare for the Common Men today - 10/10, no notes. Just what I needed today!

Iā€™ve also listened to the last (?) Klein trilogy this week, and I have to say it was deeply not my favourite. I found Persuasion and Starlight Robbery to be pretty underwhelming if Iā€™m honest, and I wanted to like Will Arrowsmithā€¦ but I didnā€™t. Sorry Will, but you were like an irritating Osgood in a bad way.

Daleks Among Us I enjoyed a little more - I hate to say this but Klein is way more interesting when sheā€™s a Nazi (or adjacent). Her being in UNIT just made her a kind of boring goody-two-shoes, and of course I donā€™t want her to be a Nazi, but she at least had some interesting dimensions in her previous stories. And DAU at least did something a little more interesting on that front.

And Iā€™m only two away from my Counter-Measures gang!!! (can you tell Iā€™m excited :rofl:)

9 Likes