I’ve heard all of the ‘Lost Stories’ at least twice before, but recently decided to go through them all again in order and review them this time…
And, oh boy, the range really gets off to a rocky start, doesn’t it?
Proper reviews to come soon, here’s just a summary of the first three.
‘The Nightmare Fair’ ~ 5/10
A good concept that’s pretty much ruined by pacing with as much get-up-and-go as an OAP suffering from Parkinson’s. David Bailie is honestly the highlight of this whole thing - his portrayal of the Toymaker is incredibly underrated!
‘Mission to Magnus’ ~ 3/10
I’ve always loved the third episode, so wasn’t surprised that my score remained virtually the same… but Jesus Christ, I must’ve mentally blocked out quite how awful ‘Magnus’ was the past few times I heard it!
Like the Ice Warriors don’t appear until the half-way mark, there is barely any build up to their plan, and every character is just a sexist stereotype! There’s even a joke during the epilogue about how the women of Magnus will “serve” the men from the neighbouring world when they become their wives.
Listening to the behind-the-scenes interviews, Philip Martin actually tried to say that he’d written a pro-feminism piece… how drunk was he when this interview was conducted? It’s one of the most mysoginistic stories I’ve encountered - and I’ve heard ‘Prison in Space’!
‘Leviathan’ ~ 9/10
Imagine crossing the Truman Show with ‘The Time Warrior’ and ‘The Holy Terror’, and you essentially get this absolute hidden gem of a story.
I genuinely cannot understand why this one got rejected, because a lot of the set pieces could’ve quite easily been done on screen. Just a manificent outing.