Big Finish: The Lost Stories

Continuing the discussion from New Lost Stories from Big Finish:

Probably a good idea to have a general thread for the Lost Stories.

What are your favourites from this range?

Top of the pile for me are Point of Entry, Leviathan and The First Sontarans.

Farewell, Great Macedon is also excellent (but very much of its time).

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: New Lost Stories from Big Finish

The quality in the range does vary wildly. Personally, I’d say that the First Doctor Box set is a great place to start - ‘Farewell, Great Macedon’ is exquisite.

Series Four is also really good. ‘The Mega’ became an unexpected favourite of mine.

2 Likes

Paradise 5 and The Macros are my favorites. I don’t remember much about Point of Entry, but I think I liked that one, too. I also loved the first half of The Ultimate Evil.

1 Like

Interesting you mention The Macros because I re-listened to that recently and really struggled with it! My favourite factoid about it, is that it was written from memory because they lost the original script in a hard drive crash!

2 Likes

I loved The Queen of Time. Very similar vibes to The Mind Robber, which is one of my all-time favorites.

3 Likes

The Queen of Time was excellent. Could it have been done on TV at the time? Maybe. Would it have been as good? I’m not sure. What I do know is that they need to get the actress who played Hecuba back because she was amazing.

1 Like

I think I wanted to like The Queen of Time more than I did:

2 Likes

Didnt listened to many so far but Farewell, Great Macedon easily takes the top spot for me so far!

1 Like

Farewell, Great Macedon takes the title of favourite for me too. I love a Hartnell era true historical, and the script for it is so good. Earnestly believe that had it been made as part of season 1, it’d be highly regarded as one of the greats and we’d maybe have 2 of its episodes still in the archive. :sweat_smile:

The Guardians of Prophecy is one that doesn’t really get spoken about that I’d like to recommend though. It really feels like a mid 80s Doctor Who serial in all the most endearing ways, you can almost imagine how it would’ve looked in all its budget squeezing, video tape glory.

I find it funny that season 23 is the one that the mystique of its lost stories surrounding it because in adaption I didn’t really like many of them, I feel with Trial of a Time Lord we got the better result, but the lost stories that were pitched for season 22 are often great.

4 Likes

I mean if it got produced in Season 1 there is a good chance we might have all of its Episodes (unless it took the place from Marco Polo or reign of terror, but I believe the former was always planned, the latter I am not too sure).
And oh! Will wrote the Guardians of Prophecy.
And yeah I kinda have to agree with it, I must say while I still have a big way to go with the Season 23 Adaptions, most of them just kinda don’t do it for me. A shame really that some of the most interesting sounding ones are the least likely to ever get turned into a BF Play

1 Like

Ive heard all bar 5 Lost Stories and can wholeheartedly recommend The First Doctor boxset, Point of Entry, all of s4, The Doomsday Contract, The Elite and The First Sontarans

All exceedingly good audios

2 Likes

Always wanted to try listening to the Lost Stories range. I think I’ll start with the Three Doctors one when it comes out.

2 Likes

If you have Spotify, the entire first season is available on there.

1 Like