Audio Club: The Chimes of Midnight

It’s time to listen to and discuss The Chimes of Midnight :christmas_tree::bell:

Christmas in August? Only on Doctor Who…

Buy it online using the link above, or listen for free - you’ll find links where to listen free on the story page!

Once you’ve listened, talk about it below! Even if you listened to it before and just want to discuss it - dive right in! Just please use spoiler tags where appropriate.

Everyone who participates will get a coveted Audio Club badge! :medal_military:

Just for fun, add your rating here:

Select your rating (out of 10):
0 voters
6 Likes

One of the GOATS.

9 Likes

I love this one. It was the first Big Finish Audio I ever listened to, and I have listened to it multiple times since then.

9 Likes

Ohhh im so excited after all the praise. Reaaly curious!

8 Likes

Well “Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas” without the Chimes of Midnight.

16 Likes

Contender for greatest Doctor Who story.

13 Likes

Listen to this every Christmas. Probably my favourite DW story in any medium.

Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without Paul McGann after all :wink:

12 Likes

Absolutely the best Christmas episode Who has ever done.
I love how much dark comedy there is (The Chimes of Midnight · TARDIS Guide), and if not for Scherzo would be my absolute Eight and Charley story, if not my favourite story overall.

Christmas just wouldn’t be Christmas without it.

12 Likes

Wow can’t believe we’re at Chimes already!! But yes. This is one of those ones where you’re like ‘ugh everyone says this is great I bet it’s all just hype and overrated’ but no. It is actually really good. I’m not much of a fan of time loops but the spooky way this one unfolds is just thrilling.

I too always listen to this one at Christmas

12 Likes

What else is there to say about this that hasn’t already been said? It’s peak. Simple as.

10 Likes

I can remember being really excited about this release after loving The Holy Terror by the same writer. It doesn’t disappoint, and remains the Christmas Big Finish story for me (among many other contenders). Strange that it was released in February - 22 years agoemphasised text, which is just as frightening as anything in the story.

It doesn’t age, even after all this time. Paul McGann and India Fisher are excellent, as is the supporting cast, and Russell Stone’s atmospheric score adds hugely to the increasing sense of ‘what the - ?’ (Even the Doctor doesn’t know!). As the story goes along, you get the sense you’re getting deeper into the mystery rather than figuring out what’s actually happening.

I love the sequence of audio stories that surrounded this one. With Seasons of Fear and Embrace the Darkness to follow, what a great time it was to be a Big Finish fan. A definite winner, and fully deserving of all the credit heaped upon it.

11 Likes

It’s The Chimes of Midnight.

I do not have anything new to say about The Chimes of Midnight.

It’s pretty good.

10/10

11 Likes

What more is there to say other than 10/10.

Oh, yeah, you could read my review :smiley:

10 Likes

Far from my favourites, but it is really REALLY good

5 Likes

My first Big Finish story!

Not my absolute favourite (which is Scherzo, sorry Chimes), but definitely in my top three and worth a 10/10.

12 Likes

Oh, this was good! Possibly the best big finish story I’ve listened to so far. The music, the atmosphere, the acting is all perfect in my opinion. There’s good mystery, some humour and emotions. I enjoy ‘smaller’ stories like this where it’s really only about the fate of a few people. Also people choosing to live in stories is something very special to me as someone who’s lived with suicidal thoughts. A wonderful and moving story!

16 Likes

Nothing else to say other than it’s perfect.

8 Likes

I know people think this audio is really good but i have something controversial to say about it…

PLUMP PUDDING!!!

6 Likes

Doctor Who’s very best Christmas Special.
Probably the highlight of the first run of Charley/8 Stories, and well what can I say what hasn’t been said? It’s as amazing as everybody makes it out to be.
Easily one of the definitive Doctor Who Stories for me

11 Likes

Okay so that was incredible. Looking to buy every single piece of media Robert Shearman ever created rn brb.

I think it’s interesting that i see some similarities to his Holy Terror. It’s kind of a happier version of it. In both stories the Doctor and companion arrive in a world that doesn’t seem to make sense, which then turns out to be entirely based around the personal trauma of a single individual. But where Holy Terror ends with the individual committing suicide, here the exact opposite happens. Edith sees that the world (metaphorically basically being someone’s mind repeating bad memories (or something more nuanced)) is wrong, and that she is worth something.

Does this make sense? I hope it does. Great story to make one believe in the beauty of life again i guess

8 Likes