Audio Club Extra: Excelis Dawns

We asked.

You couldn’t decide.

We made a decision anyway!

Welcome to the first iteration of Audio Extra Club!

For the next three weeks we will be discussing the Excelis Trilogy released between February and July 2002 (around the same time as the stories currently being discussed in the main Audio Club).

(If there is enough interest, we can also listen to the ‘fourth part of the trilogy’; the ‘coda’ featuring Bernice Summerfield).

First up is the Fifth Doctor audio Excelis Dawns, which also introduces the world to Katy Manning’s incarnation of the transtemporal adventuress, Iris Wildthyme!

It also features Anthony Stewart Head as Grayvorn.

Unfortunately, this story is not available for free on Spotify or other streaming services but can be purchased from Big Finish here:

Or in a box set with all four Excelis stories (which works out about £8 cheaper than buying all four individually):

Give the story your rating out of 10 and let us know your thoughts below:

0 voters
7 Likes

I do not remember this one terribly well but this is a good excuse to relisten! I love Anthony Head, so that’s why I listened originally, but I do remember by and large enjoying the trilogy

7 Likes

I don’t remember details for this one either. I remember it being the weakest of the three, but that’s about it. Between this, Plague Herds and a couple Main Range stories, I’ve determined that Iris is not a character for me. She’s entertaining enough, but I don’t really have fun with her like I do with say Benny.

8 Likes

First time I’ve listened to this one.

I really enjoyed it :+1:
Iris Wildthyme just works best for me when she is teaming up with the Doctor, and Katy Manning is as delightful as ever :slightly_smiling_face:
Peter Davison’s reactions to Iris’ enthusiasm is just pitch perfect.

I’ve never quite gotten the love for Anthony Stewart Head, his acting choices and line deliveries just sound the exact same to me regardless of which character he is playing - I guess I just find it a bit one-note and a tad dull.

It was very much a Paul Margs story which usually are very much hit or miss to me, but this one was a hit :slightly_smiling_face:
4/5 :star:

I am looking forward to the next installments of Excelis for sure :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

It’s been years since I listened to this story but I reviewed it for my marathon (it is sort of set in a time concurrent with the early Middle Ages). I do know I enjoyed and, I think, it might be my favourite of the trilogy (in four parts).

7 Likes

The original covers for the Doctor Who stories of Excelis are just awful. I realise Photoshop has evolved quite a bit since the release of these, but honestly more effort was put into making the Taran Wood Beast costume than on these covers. It’s like they’ve cut out pictures of the Doctors from a physical copy of DWM and glued them on the background - and done the same for Anthony Stewart Head’s head and put that on different bodies for each cover.
Definitely contenders for worst audio cover of all time…

They will never be my beloved :eyes:

7 Likes

I am about halfway through. Am I supposed to know who this Iris lady is?

4 Likes

I am fairly certain that it is the first Big Finish adventure Iris Wildthyme (Katy Manning) was in, but she explains everything you need to know about her during this story I would say.

But she was introduced in the Eighth Doctor Adventures books (The Scarlet Empress if I recall correctly)

She has her own spin-off series at Big Finish and a bunch of books :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I thought that it was kind of fun. That is unusual for a Fifth Doctor audio. I liked Iris she is exactly what he needs. 3.5/5

10 Likes

How about this picture instead then :slight_smile:

images

Or these fan made covers:

(Cheeky use of Anthony Head from Merlin there).

6 Likes

Ahh so much better :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Is she supposed to be related to Jo?

4 Likes

Not at all.
Iris is a drunken Time Lady & Jo is a funky human that became a UNIT agent through sheer nepotism :wink:
But Katy Manning pours her own personality into both of them :grin:

8 Likes

There’s even a beautiful audio (actually, two audios) where Iris and Jo meet and Katy absolutely shines playing off herself!

10 Likes

Wow! That I didn’t know :slightly_smiling_face: That one is a must have for sure :grin:

5 Likes

The follow up The Elixir of Doom is fun too.

But here I come with my unpopular opinion…

I think Katy Manning can overplay both characters, especially when she’s trying to be ‘young’ Jo. Her higher voice makes her sound terribly twee and it is often borderline ‘lashings of ginger pop!’ as if she’s reading an audiobook of the Famous Five.

I do like her Iris but again, I think she got better as she went on and toned down the ‘oo-er ecky thump’ stuff. She’s excellent when bouncing off David Benson’s Panda but, a bit like I feel BF are with Tom Baker, I’m not sure they always give Manning the direction she might actually need to just bring her performance to the more palatable side of ‘wacky’.

And don’t get me wrong, Katy is lovely in real life and such a friend to fans.

7 Likes

Really excited to go through some of Big Finish ancient history here. I’d listened to and rated Excelis Dawns already and had it at a 3.5, but on listening again I liked it enough to bump it up a full star. 4.5 might seem strong, but to me there are only two real drawbacks to this story:

1. A slightly dodgy ending that relies too much on physical action, something that has plagued Big Finish from the start and continues to, but can be forgiven because it’s 2002 and not 2012 when they’ve had time to learn from those mistakes.
  1. When you break the story down, it’s a MacGuffin plot. It’s relatively simple and straightforward (in basic narrative form at least. Search for thing > conflict over thing > attainment of thing at cost. Real fundamental stuff, so not even necessarily a drawback, as it’s executed well here. Magrs knows what he’s doing.)

Meanwhile for me there’s an awful lot to enjoy here. The first set of scenes are lovely little nods to The Sound of Music, and I’ll happily go against the grain and set my flag down in Camp Wildthyme. This was not always the case; I used to be a real television-only purist. The idea that there was a time-travelling old lady who looked exactly like Katy Manning was filed into the cringe cabinet along with any mention of The Doctor’s real name (not to mention the fact that they had a brother, what the flip was that about) or Bernice Summerfield (what do you MEAN they kept making books without The Doctor?!)

I’m neck deep in fandom now so my mind is far more open, and Iris stands out as one of the best aspects of the EU. She’s deployed so well here, and I think the story shines brightly on the back of the main trio of performances. Anthony Head understands the assignment perfectly as Grayvorn, chewing every kilometer of Mt Excelis as they ascend, and meanwhile, Peter Davison and Katy Manning banter off of each other in such an effortless familial way that for me it was impossible not to get swept up despite the relative simplicity of the quest.

The bang for me comes in the texture that Paul Magrs and the actors add to both the characters of Iris and the Fifth Doctor - first of all, without Tegan and Turlough and post-Earthshock, this Fifth Doctor is a much more transgressive character; still passive and non-violent, but from the moment he interjects on Grayvorn’s macho narration, making it diegetic (The Doctor has always been able to hear the narration, as well as the music, it seems) we see the trickster-god, blithely charming but still undermining the warlord’s bravado. He suspects the nuns from the start, and while he is forced to play straight man to Iris, it’s a very different straight man than he plays with the companions of his era.

Linking this into Iris, I don’t know if this is the story where it’s written into text that the bus is a TARDIS and Iris is a Time Lord, but they make rather big points of both of those moments in the script, so I’m choosing to take them as important, because this means we’re seeing The Doctor alone, but also in a conversation with one of his peers; perhaps the closest one in character he has. We rarely see The Doctor interact with a Renegade in anything other than adversarial context. The Master, The Rani, The Monk, even with the layers in those relationships, all have an oppositional foundation. The Master wants to destroy/make kissy time with The Doctor but in a weird way with knives, so that’s conflict.

The Rani is literally never not pissing around with genomes and trying to gain power that way, so that’s out (until she finally jumps out of the skin of Mrs. Flood in 2026 and we can figure out what the hell is going on there).

I think The Doctor would rather pretend The Monk didn’t exist at all.

The only other Time Lords we see The Doctor interact with are the ones back on Gallifrey, which, ew, gross, collars, and the Romanas. Romana is far from a renegade, much more of a freshman who fell in with the guy on campus who sells acid and changed her major to “buggering around the universe” but then got her life together at 400 and is a politician now.

What’s your point, Turn

oh yeah

So now we know that Iris is a Time Lord, we can really see her as a mirror of The Doctor. All she really wants is a good time. And she hasn’t suffered the pain that Five has at that point, she hasn’t lost anyone. The conversations they share where he’s trying to impart responsibility on her, always a Time Lord even when he’s so far away and grieving, are really beautiful. The relationship becomes real and I think retroactively made me look a lot kinder on Iris’s appearances.

It’s also got such a weird ending, with the Mother Superior and Grayvorn getting fused together? That’s straight out of Frank Herbert’s weird playbook, and a much stronger ending than the sort of weird fumble over the magic handbag that was the natural conclusion. The coda for this is really strong, is what I’m saying, and although the ride is simple, it’s a pretty rip-roaring one, with a bunch of little canon easter-eggs people will love. I did, anyway.

9 Likes

Something I have been thinking about is why this is a special realse and not just a part of the MR. I have only listened to the first part but it feels like it could fit in the MR range. Lets see over the upcoming weeks if I feel the same.

7 Likes

They didn’t do story arcs at this point in the MR. Maybe this was a test to see whether connected stry arcs would work for the range.

7 Likes

I gave this one a listen and … I’m a bit mixed on it. Here are some of my points:

• Peter Davison sounds bored throughout, and the Doctor feels very secondary to the plot.
  • The second Anthony Stewart Head story I devoured today. He’s much better here than in School Reunion, but I don’t really get the point of his character.
  • My first time experiencing Iris Wildthyme. Katy Manning certainly puts plenty of colour into the character, but I found her constant chatter and flirtatious tone very grating. She calls the Zarbi rubbish monsters, though, so I’ll give her a plus point for that.
  • The nun characters are kind of cool.
  • The Zombie King sounds like a leftover character from Minuet in Hell, and his scenes feel very loosely connected to everything else.

• Virtually nothing happens here. Part 1 seemingly sets up Part 2, but Part 2 sees the characters hang around in the TARDIS and then culminate in a nonexistent climax. There’s a lot of talking about stuff and bickering and bantering, but the worldbuilding is pretty weak, and there’s no tension whatsoever.
  • The music sounds like it was plastered on the story last minute.

Because the performances are pretty good, and there are a few good moments, I’ll give this a 4/10 → LACKLUSTRE!

7 Likes