William Russell RIP

Its been announced that William Russell, the one and only Ian Chesterton has died aged 99.

Sad times.

32 Likes

Rip William Russell. He played a phenomenal companion.

15 Likes

I would’ve loved to have seen him reach 100. Hopefully it was a peaceful passing.

16 Likes

I am truly lost for words. All I can say is that I would have hoped that he was able to reach 100 like others here have already pointed out. Still, 99 is an incredible age, I also hope his passing was peaceful. Rest in Peace for an amazing Actor

16 Likes

Rest in peace William Russell,
The one and only Sir Ian, Knight of Jaffa

20 Likes

RIP. Ian and Barbara are generally one of my favourite companions, and William Russel played Ian fantastically. I already quite like “The Power of the Doctor”, but now I’m even more thankful that the show managed to pay him respect in 2022. Hope it was a peaceful passing, as other had said

16 Likes

What an icon. He will be missed.

14 Likes

Ian was one of my favourite companions, it’s tragic to hear of his passing.

RIP William Russell

14 Likes

Rest in peace William Russell. How amazing was it that we got to see him in the 60th anniversary episode.

16 Likes

RIP William Russell, easily my favourite companion and one of the coolest in general.

Atleast we got to see him one last time in The Power of the Doctor.

15 Likes

Oh my [EXPLETIVE REDACTED] word this was not the news I wanted to see first thing on the forums. Rest in peace, William, truly the originator.

14 Likes

This came really unexpectedly. With his recent appearance he still felt so alive and like we might get to see him even more. Rest in peace William Russell.

13 Likes

Oh my God! What terrible news to end this beautiful day with! This made me properly sad :cry: Ian is such a wonderful companion, father figure and the de-facto action hero of the early days of the show. That said, 99 is a respectable age to get to, so I wish him peace and solitude wherever he is now :heart:

20 Likes

99 and still somehow gone too soon.

10 Likes

This is very sad indeed. He will be missed.

My dear, poor Chesterfield, er, Chessington, er Chippendale… RIP Ian.

14 Likes

RIP. :cry:

20 Likes

I think that’s the perfect clip to remember Russell by. Thank you for sharing it.

12 Likes

No problem. Their return to their own time always was one of these moments, and the Doctor at the end…

10 Likes

So very sad :cry: I’m glad we saw him one last time in the Power of the Doctor, and I believe he broke records then for longest returning character. RIP.

19 Likes

God, he was a large part of what made the show work in the first place. Incredible man, the whoniverse won’t be the same without him.

20 Likes