William Russell RIP

Lovely obit for him in The Guardian. I find it impossible to read any detailed history of a Doctor Who actor’s previous roles and education without immediately hearing it in Toby Hadoke’s voice.

12 Likes
5 Likes

Horrible news. 99… what an actor and what a career. I genuinely think Doctor Who wouldn’t be around without him. Rest in peace.

14 Likes

Why does this go so hard

6 Likes

I just started to watched Doctor Who. Just finished Classic Doctor Who series 2 a couple of weeks ago. Loved him as Ian. :cry::cry::cry:

I’m in the middle of series 3 and I miss Ian and Barbara.

11 Likes

Rip William Russell :sob:

5 Likes

Not the news I wanted to read on the bus home at 04:30am. But as others have said, wonderful that we managed to see him one last time in The Power of the Doctor. He played an iconic and integral part of the shows early years and I’m very greatful for all he gave. 99 is an amazing age to reach and I hope his family is okay.

13 Likes

I’m.gonna watch this today. I wouldn’t call it a British film noir classic but definitely an enjoyable British B Picture.

14 Likes

Don’t watch this without a tissue to hand…

10 Likes

Wow, that is a beautiful video. Heartbreaking, but beautiful. Feels like I’ve lost my grandfather or something :sob:

9 Likes

Ah, bless him. The only autograph I have is William Russell’s, thanks to some good friends who attended Gallifrey One in 2012. My favourite companion (along with Barbara, of course), but Russ is also my favourite contributor to Doctor Who audios, be they narration of missing episodes, audiobooks, or Big Finish dramas.

His brief appearance in The Power of the Doctor was a most treasured surprise. Now, I’m off to watch him ride off into the sunset as Sir Lancelot. RIP.

11 Likes

I was just reminded by this fact that I already knew but had forgotten - William Russell had a son, Alfred Enoch.

He’s best known for his role as Dean Thomas in Harry Potter, and was recently in a brilliant Science Fiction show Foundation.

I’d love him to have a role in Doctor Who someday, not just as a tribute to his father but he’s also a great actor in his own right.

:heart:

14 Likes

He was great in Foundation. A great addition to an already great show.

5 Likes

He was really good in Foundation. Would be nice to see him in Doctor Who.

5 Likes