Which fourth story of a Doctor are your favorites?

Gosh some of those are tricky, despite giving you the Option to vote for 3 than 2 haha. Lots here that I quite like! Although Aliens of London is one of those Two-Parter, that leaves me very cold and I do think its Sequel Story is vastly superior in almost every way. Time of Angels is another Two-Parter, I am more than less fond of, I probably say it’s possibly the weakest story here. Listen is well.. listen, some love it, others think it’s not very good, sadly I am on the latter camp. Arachnids is actually one I don’t mind too much, sure the Ending is awfully clunky written in its Solution and it’s not exactly one I revisit too often since giant realistic spiders are a bit much, but it’s certainly not one of the very worst of Whittaker’s Tenure. Boom is great, admittely I only watched it once, so my Opinion may shift drastically, it’s not one of Moffats best, but it’s a certainly a fun one with great acting in it.

Genesis is of course Genesis, it’s excellent, I do think highly of it, but it rarely hits my favorite Spot at all. Dragonfire has a really dumb Cliffhanger, but continues the dumb fun that is Season 24. School Reunion is easily my favorite Revival Story here, even if I have my issues with some choices done and the bickering with our Companions is annoying. Moonbase is a more refined Version of the Tenth Planet, this time showing the Cybermen doing a quiet Invasion, it’s quite a fun Story with a great Animation. I was tempted to go with the Visitation, as it’s one of my favorites for 5 and it destroys the Sonic!! Buttt, ended up with those three fairly ‘basic’ picks:
Marco Polo is a stellar example for a pure historical, while not one of my personal favorites, I love how much we really get the feel of the travel with this one. Inferno is a rich story and a superb bookend for the first golden age of Doctor Who (S1-7). And Mark of the Rani is just fun! Easily one of my favorites for sixie on TV.

2 Likes

‘Inferno’ and ‘Genesis of the Daleks’ were automatic nominations, but that third candidate was tricky. I feel I should defend my choice, however; the qualities of ‘Marco Polo’ are not lost on me; ‘The Visitation’ is my favourite story of Season 19; the first two-parter of Series 1 is also very enjoyable, as is the first-two parter of Series 5; ‘Boom’ is one of the highlights of Series 14. But I have to give it to ‘Listen’.

Those two classic stories are seminal for their respective incarnations and for the programme as a whole—I needn’t praise them any further than countless others already have, it would be redundant (though still wholly earned). ‘Listen’ was probably the first story in Capaldi’s run that sold me on his incarnation. I confess, when the Twelfth Doctor’s era began, I was hesitant like many others, but that episode is what got me on board, albeit still tentatively. Every rewatch has only made me love it and him more. Bringing it all full circle with callbacks that didn’t detract from the essence of the story while demonstrating just how obsessive the Twelfth Doctor was and how important Clara already was and continued to be in his life as he navigated his uncertain life? How could I not choose that?

6 Likes

Update:

Arachnids < Dragonfire < Visitation < Mark < Moonbase < Aliens/War < Reunion < Boom < Polo < Listen (former third) < Genesis (former second) < Angels/Stone < Inferno

2 Likes