What is the darkest Cyberman audio?

His earlier work on the 4DA is great for me, and I often find his domineering presence (and his renewed chemistry with Louise) has lifted some quite mediocre scripts.

I’m not surprised that as he gets older his work is getting more phoned in, and how much more phoned in could you get than recording the first draft of The Ark In Space and selling it for full price?

8 Likes

I sincerely hope you’re not including the garbage first series of 4DAs in that.

Honestly, there is only one time I’ve found that range genuinely worth listening to - and that was Series 6.

About the only time Tom Baker’s audio performance has been consistently good throughout a series (though Series 3 comes pretty close).

4 Likes

I disagree, but I’ve only heard maybe 10 stories from that range, and I’ve loved every one. But hey, opinions are like…

6 Likes

Yeah, garbage is a pretty strong word. There’s some good stuff in the first 4DA, I’m thinking Wrath of the Iceni, the Master two parter is good fun too. It’s not groundbreaking, but it’s a lovely 70s hug. Even Energy of the Daleks isn’t as bad as Nick can usually get with his scripts.

7 Likes

I’m part way through and inclined to agree with you. It’s spectacularly good! Genuinely original in places, fantastic settings and stories with absolutely on-point characterisation. Phenomenal!

2 Likes

Oh, you really really should! They are golden. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

:candle: :candle: ritual to manifest an 11DC sale soon :candle: :candle:

5 Likes

Obligatory link to the thread where we gush over the series.

Does have some spoilers.

3 Likes

I listened to The Crystal of Cantus last night before sleep and gosh this one is bleak

5 Likes

How has this absolute tour de force not come up?

The absolute horror that is the Cybermen shows up on full display. The slow creeping threat of the Cybermen taking over 1930s Berlin mirrors the creeping threat of fascism at that time and gives a dishearteningly prescient reminder that history repeats itself. The performances from the cast in the box are phenomenal. I am so glad we get one final memory of this unexpected and spectacular team next month.

It’s a dark, brutal listen that you very much need to be in the right headspace for, but it’s one of Big Finish’s all-time greatest works in the same ranks as Spare Parts, The Chimes of Midnight, Jubilee, Series 7V, the Charley arc with 8 and 6, Lucie Miller’s arc, and the Evelyn/Hex arc.

8 Likes

Oh I absolutely agree. Tom is hugely indulged by the directors but I think BF managed to reign him in after whatever he was doing in the Nest Cottage audios which are the nadir of audio Tom for me.

Funnily enough there was a comment in a DWM review for an audio Tom is in (Morbius I think, but I might be wrong) where the reviewer basically says Tom is terrible but it’s Tom so we let him off. I’ve never chimed with the godhood Tom is granted by a chunk of fandom.

8 Likes