In my quest to play a little of the various unplayed stuff in my steam library, I played a little of Far Cry (1) and The Callisto Protocol.
The original Far Cry seems janky, but fun. Really could use controller support, and you can feel the age to the game. You can see where the other games come from, though.
The Callisto Protocol… eh, it’s sci-fi. Not the best, really, but kinda fun in a hitting people with a pick and stomping their corpses for loot kind of way. Can smell the plot twists coming even if I haven’t gotten to them yet, as they seem rather obvious. [1]
Got about to the point it gave me a gun. Not sure how I feel about continuing after that point, since the melee was the fun part, and I’m not sure gunplay’s going to be as fun. And besides, I’ve got a lot of other games to try…
The player character probably isn’t innocent and had good reason to be thrown in jail, the reason people are turning into zombies is something you were smuggling, probably for the terrorists that boarded the ship. Some of this may also be hallucinations. ↩︎
Started a new game of Far Cry Primal. Got off at the start of a quest so it may have set me back quite a ways[1]. I gained 9 achievements right away because I had a previously saved game. I’ll probably load that if I get back on.
Played a little bit of Dead Space 2. The Callisto Protocol is really kinda a shameless Dead Space ripoff, looking at it. I see a lot of “let me copy your homework and change it a little” going on…
My best friend finally got a new graphics card (1080 TI → RTX 4070 Super) and a new CPU, maxing out what his system can handle on upgrades. With that, he started playing Cyberpunk 2077.
I bought the game back when it came out, but I never really got into it because, well, it just didn’t work very well on my system. With my friend now playing the game and being thrilled by the story, I remembered how excited I was for it. So I took a bonus I recently got at work, invested it in a 4070 Super as well, and now I’m playing the game, too.
I’ve played a fair number of Kingdom Hearts games in the past, but not Melody of Memory.
OTOH, I have played a fair amount of Cyberpunk 2077. Got it when it came out out, and I actually had some fun with it before they patched things up on it, too.
They’ve actually got some pretty good radio music in the game, written for it, too.
I got Callisto at launch because I didn’t have a PS5 to play Dead Space Remake. No, I’m at a point where I’ve completed Dead Space Remake, and have yet to touch Callisto, but I’ll get around to it.
It’s not a rip-off though (imo) because the head writer or producer or whatever you call it, he also created Dead Space before parting from EA, probably on bad terms.
Now, EA are probably shelving the Dead Space franchise, but Callisto only recently had a spin-off game I think? Not sure how it did sales-wise, but they seem more creatively free than they were under EA.
Past week, I’ve earned these three platinums. Splitgate 2 was something I loved and anticipated, but in case the game died, I got the platinum very quickly.
Citizen Sleeper is a cute cyberpunk/sci-fi text-based game. Simple gameplay, and some great world building.
And Gris, while I appreciated the story and the amount of metaphors and meanings you could infer from the art style, I’m bad at solving puzzles in 2D games like this. And I’m bad at timing and precision. The game isn’t punishing at all, but I can’t say I enjoyed the gameplay. But I don’t regret playing it.
I don’t know if this has been brought up here, but I signed the petition for Stop Killing Games a couple of days ago, and it still needs more signatures.
In short, this would force the EU to look into how companies can stop supporting games that users have paid for. This is not a change.org thing; it is The European Citizens’ Initiative, meaning that if this gets one million valid signatures, the EU has to look into this. It is at 1.1 million right now, but there is a risk that some of the signatures will be deemed invalid and not count. So, if you are a citizen in an EU country and want game companies to have an end-of-life plan for their games, sign this.
In my backlog, played a game called Neverending Nightmares. Ended up feeling compelled to play it for two and a half hours, at which point I got one of, apparently, three endings.
It’s got simple 2d black and white and red graphics. Guy in pajamas that wakes up in bed, and then wanders around hallways and through doorways and down stairs in an house/insane aslyum/forest/graveyard as monsters/inmates/dead women try to kill you, that sort of thing.
Creepy atmosphere, though there was a moment where it was just kinda “it’s raining dead women”. Or woman, really, since it was the same woman falling from the sky repeatedly.
Getting past the inmates was rather tricky. Every time you die, you wake up back in bed, too, but where the bedroom door opens up to changes, kinda saving your progress. Interesting game, things did kinda get repetitive occasionally.
$15 Indie psychological horror game from 2014, apparently.
(Though if you’re looking for an indie horror game, I’d personally suggest the game “Among the Sleep”, which is 3d and you are playing as a toddler with puzzles like trying to figure out how to open doors you can’t reach the handles on…)