What are you currently listening to? (Part 2)

Totally, and I got these as much for the writers as anything, there’s a Dorney, a Simon Guerrier, and another Joe Lidster all to come! The recast of the leads is just so perfect, I love them both (& all Silver is very welcome).

6 Likes

We reached the limit??? There was a limit?? :sob: Anyways, I finished The Moons of Vulpana. It was interesting to see Vulpana and its history explored, and they did a good job with worldbuilding. Only thing is, this audio didn’t really feel like a Doctor Who story at times. It felt more like a book Tumblr kids from the early 2010s would post about. I dunno why it’s that exact feeling, as I’ve never gotten such a specific vibe from an audio before, but in my head it just fits for some reason. Something about the whole “omega and alpha wolf” thing just felt like that. It was still a decent story all things considered, but The Doctor was a bit sidelined I feel. That isn’t always a bad thing, but here it kinda detracted from my enjoyment. I’d give it a 7/10. Still pretty decent audio all things considered. Finishing up the Mags trilogy tomorrow hopefully!

9 Likes

Daughter of the Gods is so so good. I hope you enjoy listening to it! It’s a personal favorite!

3 Likes

Finally finished The Pirates of Somalia by Jay Bahadur. It’s a very enjoyable and fascinating book. It appears the origin of Somali piracy is because of foreign fishermen destroying the coastal Somali’s livelyhood. While the author suggests that it’ll grow past that into a more mafia-type thing (note that this book is 2011 and it was already shifting this), it does seem to have started in the 1990s out of sort of noble origins. It was an enjoyable with a good narrator. Relatively short, it just took me forever[1] because I was listening off and on with a lot of other stuff (Doctor Who and podcasts) taking precidence.


  1. I started at the end of September ↩︎

3 Likes

Pursuit of the Nightjar, before starting on Circular Time.
Nightjar was, obviously, stunning. I’m genuinely sad that I have no more Tim Foley 5 stories to listen to.

In terms of Circular Time, Spring was good but nothing special, Summer was pretty enjoyable, and I had to turn off Autumn midway through because, in my perception, there is absolutely no chance that Nyssa is into men

8 Likes

I think he met her as the Fourth Doctor (I haven’t listened those)

5 Likes

Two episodes of Theatre of War down and it’s huge fun. Another book I read about a billion years ago so I don’t remember much beyond the basics.

And it’s got Richard Vranch (on the piano) in it! (If you know, you know).

8 Likes

Finished the War Doctor: Fallen Heroes yesterday, I think The War Doctor Rises might be one of my favourite ranges at the moment because this was just phenomenal. Constant twists and turns with cliffhangers and reveals I couldn’t possibly predict, the three episodes get an
9/10
8/10
and 9/10

9 Likes

Something I noticed while working on Sets is that The War Doctor Rises is now the #3 most highly rated set on the site (after Children of Earth and the 50th anniversary).

It even overtook Eleven & Valarie, the previous best BF set.

I haven’t gotten around to listening to them yet but am very excited to do it one day!

12 Likes

I know, of course I know!

4 Likes

Fallen Heroes is fantastic, one of my favourites of the year [1] from a range I don’t normally listen to.


  1. Will there be a TARDIS Guide members top ten of 2025 thread? ↩︎

10 Likes

I’ve only heard Morbius the Mighty and Fallen Heroes, but they’re two of the easiest five star ratings I’ve ever given, I’d wholeheartedly recommend both. I really need to listen to Unknown Soldiers, especially now you’ve told us this is one of the highest rated sets on the site.

8 Likes

Started the Hex stories but been advised by Drax on discord to go back and finish eveyln and 6 - which i will make a start on later

8 Likes

As someone who’s done both (or most of both, at least), I’d definitely concur. You should be fine if you’ve done everything with Evelyn up to Thicker Than Water - there are a few releases after that one, but they all take place before, so they don’t have any effect on the Hex stuff (I haven’t done any of them and I didn’t feel like I’d missed anything when I got to the relevant bits with Hex).

7 Likes

Finished Echoes. “Slow Beasts” was predictable but good.

It was lovely hearing Liv and Helen again, and can’t wait for their new stories to come soon, but I do feel that we may have heard all we can from them. They need a big shakeup!

11 Likes

The Hex arc is great, at least up through A Death in the Family (and arguably up through Gods and Monsters). Yes, to get the most out of Hex, you do kind of need the Evelyn stuff, which is really good too.

While I’d definitely recommend listening to all the Evelyn and Hex stories in release order (there are a few Evelyn stories released after that can be slotted in there somewhere too), there is a minimum stories you’d need to listen to enjoy and get the most out of A Death in the Family. These are:

The Marian Conspiracy
Project: Twilight
Project: Lazarus
Arrangements for War
The Harvest
Thicker Than Water (for its epilogue)
Forty-five (specifically the final story)
Enemy of the Daleks
The Angel of Scutari
Project: Destiny
A Death in the Family

9 Likes

I’d say the Gods and Monsters trilogy is excellent, particularly Protect and Survive and Black and White, and Afterlife is just phenomenal.

I would also add The Magic Mousetrap to the list of essentials! Not just because it’s a personal fav but because it (retroactively) becomes very important to the Elder Gods arc.

12 Likes

I don’t find Magic Mousetrap as good as everyone else. It’s good, but not great. And the list I gave was for A Death in the Family, for which Mousetrap isn’t as necessary.

5 Likes

Just listened to the Mirror Matter and really enjoyed it. Some great character work for Liz and some really alien villains.

7 Likes

I’m repeating the familiar formula of the last few days, but today I listened to Circular Time (I’m caught up on Audio Club! Yay!) as well as Gallifrey: Pandora (it was so tense that I almost forgot to breathe at the end there).

Tomorrow, I’ll start catching up on Audio Club Extra.

6 Likes