Time Lord Victorious

I love the Tenth Doctor but have not read this. I understand that people don’t like this story but I am a bit curious about it. I was just thinking how bad is it? Should I stay away from it or could I have a good time with the bad?

12 Likes

I mean one part is on a T-Shirt. How bad can it be?

14 Likes

I never read the books but I did listen to all the audios and they were perfectly servicable - good? maybe not, but they weren’t bad. The ‘‘event’’ thing overall left me a bit cold and I can’t claim to understand the point of it, but the individual elements from what I’ve seen were fine enough

10 Likes

It never really interested me mainly because I didn’t like the whole Time Lord Victorious thing on TV. I don’t need a vengeful, nasty Doctor thank you very much.

I mean I did enjoy Time Fracture immensely (one of the best things I’ve ever done) but that’s not something anyone can experience any more.

The books and audios still sit on my to read/listen list.

14 Likes

And of course, that part is unavailable…

7 Likes

I listened to the TLV audios back in the day, and they were rather forgettable. Haven’t read the novels, but they are on my TBR.

11 Likes

I have decided to do it. I am doing it. Renamed the thread and will document my thoughts here.

Found this order by someone on Reddit and it looked good. I am excited :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I’ve stuck it in Cross-media discussions too because this ain’t off topic (not like all those Scandinavian-fests every other thread descends into :wink: )

11 Likes

The Dawn of the Kotturuh

Short Story

This jurney starts with this short story. It did not do that much for me. It was not bad but not that good either. I gave it 2.5/5

9 Likes

I like the idea, but this just comes across as a complicated mess, for the sake of it. Same with Doom’s Day.

I like multimedia/crossover projects, but the Doctor Who ones just seem unorganised, and not very well communicated.

12 Likes

The Guide to the Dark Times

Short Story

From the pages of 2021’s Annual. River gives an introduction to the Kotturuh and what they are like (and they are not that good it seems). I liked this more than The Dawn of the Kotturuh, it gave better context to what is happening. 3/5

Next up: Big Finish: Lesser Evils

7 Likes

I am normally not a fan of crossovers but got interested in this because of the mess :joy:

10 Likes

I only really listened to the audios for Paul McGann haha the rest of it seemed kind of whatever to me :joy:

9 Likes

It probably seemed really cool when they were sitting around thrashing out ideas:

• Okay so audios and books are a given.
  • Some comic strips - yeah that’ll work.
  • Cool and we can have Daleks vs Mechanoids in an animation;
  • How about a live experience? And if we can time it to coincide with a global pandemic and flooding, that’ll help visitors get to see it.
  • What else?
  • Let’s have a T-shirt - how funny is that?
  • How about some statuettes - fans love a statuette;
  • Computer game! Don’t forget one of those. Doctor Who computer games are always brilliant!
  • I KNOW! Let’s re-release some old stories on DVD and pretend they are linked to the storyline in however tenuous a manner we can. Doctor Who fans love buying things more than once in slightly different versions.

GENIUS! Let’s do it!

15 Likes

Having all that stuff isn’t its biggest problem. Having all that stuff and it not being clearly communicated with a ‘reading’ order, or which you can ‘consume’ without missing something.

In comic crossovers, usually, half are not ‘required’ to get the story. The extra parts are for side stuff or fleshing out minor ideas.

11 Likes

If I remeber, the idea (note I say idea, not that it worked), is that you could consume one set of media and get a complete story. I read the novels and listened to the audios. The heart of the story is the two novels. If you only want to tackle one medium and the bulk of the story, then I’d recommend the novels. I enjoyed them at the time, but don’t remember them much now. The audios consist of the McGann stories and the Master Short Trips from Big Finish, the McGann/Tennant story (that was initially a vinyl release) and then a Jacob Dudman-read story from BBC Audio. My favorite of the audios was the third McGann audio with the Daleks (which does kind of dump you in the deep end, but was massively fun). The one story I wanted to read, Monstrous Beauty from DWM, has yet to be collected anywhere and as I don’t get DWM, I have, to my knowledge, no way to read it.

11 Likes

I’ve read the comic, a few of the free short stories, watched the animated thing, and they’re all fine. Not bad, just fine. I’ve started on the first book, and I’m enjoying it, but I’m not very far in.

I think the main complaint I’ve seen is the fact that it’s so expansive leaves people overwhelmed. That’s not helped by the fact that each thing is meant to stand on it’s own, as well as tie into the larger arc (because you can’t expect everyone to get everything). That creates a really weird balance where everything’s full of lore, but nothing feels essential.

There’s also the fact that it feels like it was created by a focus group, because it was. James Goss has said as much.

14 Likes

Lesser Evils

Big Finish Audio

First audio. This was very nice to listen to but very forgettable. It was such a good sound mix and a calming voice but even if I listen to this about an hour ago I can almost not say a thing about it. 3/5

Next up: The Waters of Mars (Might take some time before I rewatch this. I am on The Doctors Daugther on my Tenth Doctors rewatch)

8 Likes

The weirdest decision must be that they put three parts of the story between different parts of the same book. This means that you are supposed to start the book and after a couple of chapters lay the book down, listen to a BBC Audio, create some comics in an app(?), and read a short story before you pick up the book again and finish it.

Source: The official Doctor who Twitter

11 Likes

This is the mess I mean. If you are going to do this kind of thing, you can list it to be read after the fact.

7 Likes