The Official Doctor Who Podcast

Has anyone else listened to the Official Doctor Who podcast.

They did some episodes for the specials with Tyrell Charles, Christel Dee and Juno Dawson as the presenters and although they were very ‘positive’ I thought they were pretty listenable and included some interesting titbits from RTD.

The new series has launched and it seems the three original presenters have been replaced by two people I’ve never heard of (Nadia Jae and Shabaz Ali) and the overall vibe has gone very ‘teen speak’ and I although I don’t think I was ever the target audience, even with the original releases, I feel like it’s skewing even further away from something I’d want to listen to.

It reminds me very much of those ‘after show’ shows they would have on after X Factor or BGT.

4 Likes

I preferred the first 3 presenters before the “reboot”.

I also preferred the format, and RTD asking questions to them / giving them discussion prompts.

I wonder what the backstory behind the scenes is, why it was changed?

3 Likes

This intrigues me too and I hope it was their choice to move on. Tyrell seems to still be doing some of the Youtube videos.

And oh my word I hope they stop saying Whovian and Newvian because otherwise I may have to hurt someone…

13 Likes

I generally avoid any “Official” podcasts, other than Chernobyl. They tend to stick to talking points and not have dissenting opinions.

3 Likes

Hey, Doccy Who has to stick with the times… I barfed a little.

4 Likes

I don’t mind an official podcast not being dissenting - there are plenty of corners of the internet for that if I want it. But I do think it could sound a bit more professional and a little less ‘yeah that was great, innit’.

I’m just old.

8 Likes

I have absolutely no interest in the new form with the new hosts. Watched a few minutes of the 1st one and… Yeah… Not for me.

Dee has her own YouTube channel now where she talks about the episode and other Who stuff.

I have not listened to the new one but I thought that the first team had some fun moments.

5 Likes

Newvian? What the Bok does that even mean?

1 Like

Splinter group from the Movellans?

4 Likes

I’d be okay with that! Who doesn’t love a groovy Movellan? :grin:

2 Likes

You’re not (or I’m as well). I also enjoyed the original trio and format much more. I’ve listened to the new episodes just to hear what they’ve got to say, but I wouldn’t say I’m particularly enjoying the podcast.

New to Who? A fan of the revived series? A fan of RTD2? A fan of both the revived series and RTD2? A fan of the Newton scene in Wild Blue Yonder? A fan of Newtonian physics? A fan of Newton? A fan of newts?

I don’t know.

7 Likes
7 Likes

It’s a ‘amusing’ word that rhymes with Whovian (shudder - why does an official production have to start using that godawful word?) and suggests people who are ‘new’ to the show rather than people who have watched for centuries like us.

2 Likes
1 Like

I know what to change next time @deltaandthebannermen teases me :laughing:

15 Likes

Yeah, it’s aimed at new fans “not with a silly old buffer like me”.

1 Like

If we have Newvian, we should also have Oldvian, or Olvian, so that the older fans can feel included as well :wink:

6 Likes

Dont forget us Midvians :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’d rather like it if they would just call us Doctor Who Fans and stop trying to find stupid names!

5 Likes