Tales of the TARDIS

With so many younger fans rounds here (compare to an old fart like me) I wondered how you had found Tales of the TARDIS. For us older fans, the reunion of classic companions in a TARDIS packed with detail really gave us a warm, happy feeling.

But I know lots of us familiar with the classic series skipped the feature length stories in between the new scenes.

Has everyone else watched them? Which was your favourite? Was it your first experience of Earthshock or The Time Meddler?

4 Likes

I watched them just for the new scenes. I will watch the movie-length versions of the episodes at some point, but wasn’t prepared to watch them yet.

I absolutely love the new scenes. So sweet! The one with Seven and Ace made me tear up. And I loved seeing Clyde again, even if he was a bit of an odd one out, it’s just really happy memories from when I was younger.

And with the recent revelation from RTD that the bigeneration happened to all Doctors at the same time, so these were not just memories but the actual regenerated Doctors who are still alive I’m hopeful we get more content like this!

4 Likes

The Clyde/Jo one did seem, at first, a bit random and anchored solely in their one brief encounter in SJA but actually it worked really well with them reflecting on the loss of Sarah and Cliff and that ending where Cliff appeared to Jo - it’s rare Doctor Who makes me cry but that bit almost had me in pieces!

4 Likes

i haven’t had the chance to watch it yet, but the promo pics did make me a bit emotional
and i sent them to a friend with the caption “i’m aware this is just a bunch of old people you don’t know but it makes me very happy”

i’ll watch them after i’m done with the classic show probably

3 Likes

Another old fart here. I loved them all just because they calling back to the classics and seeing all the hidden details they put in the set. Vicki and Steven and Jo and Clyde I really liked. Jo and Clyde did make me tear up at the end.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if there are plans of an international release for these? Or if they are UK exclusive…

3 Likes

Youngster here, and I did watch some scenes with Vicki and Steven in Tales of the TARDIS, I admit hearing Hartnell’s laugh at the end made my eyes wet, it made me feel nostalgic…For something that came out 43 years before I was even born.

5 Likes

Nothing has been said - it would be nice for them to get a DVD release and I suppose there’s a chance they might end up on Disney plus but only if/when they get the rights to Classic Who as well.

3 Likes

I really hope one day Classic Who arrives on Disney+ internationally, it would be the first time all of that era arrives in several countries. Here in Italy we only had a bunch of Tom Baker serials back in the 80s plus some Hartnell and Troughton serials on DVD in the late 2000s.

5 Likes

I am currently watching Earthshock and just wondered whether any changes were made to the stories for TOTT. Any updated special effects, changes to music, etc. Or were they simply a full-length edit of the stories without cliffhangers and with new footage bookending then?

1 Like

My understanding is that the only changes were the removal of repeated cliffhanger scenes

3 Likes

This is what I thought was the case too for all the Tales.

2 Likes

Okay. Thanks for the answers :slightly_smiling_face: (we really need an international release!)

3 Likes

Hang on a minute… Is the rope Adric is holding at the end of Earthshock his belt? Did he take off his trousers after the Cyberman shot the console???

4 Likes

It’s the belt from his brother Varsh which he wore in remembrance of him.

2 Likes

Yup, but wasn’t it also keeping his trousers up? Please tell me it wasn’t, I don’t need this headcanon :grimacing::joy:

2 Likes

He wasn’t running around in his pants before he inherited it from his brother at the end of Full Circle so I think you’re good :wink:

4 Likes

People on Twitter are saying a new episode of Tales of the TARDIS has just been announced? Anyone got any info on that?

3 Likes

I couldn’t find any information on it other than this BBC link.

2 Likes

My feeling is that it’s all the linking narration in 1 program.

EDIT. No other references found it past few days on google news.

1 Like