SirAlexH Big Finish Podcast Notes and Misc News Roundup Thread

Not that I can see. It’s a bit weird.

2 Likes

PODCAST NEWS:

• Nothing of consequence.

NON-BIG FINISH PODCAST DOCTOR WHO NEWS:

BBC AUDIO/BOOKS/MEDIA NEWS:

• The Fifteen Doctors, Fifteen Stories Fifteenth Doctor story is an adaptation of the CiN special, Destination: Skaro.
  • Covers and details for Series 14: Target Novelisations are announced, and I love them. Very….I wanna say pulpy 80’s adventure novels.
  • With the novelisations, the audiobook readers are listed: Space Babies is read by Clare Corbett; 73 Yards is read by Susan Twist; Rogue is read by Dan Starkey.

ANYTHING ELSE

Sales: Weekly Deals: New Who: The Legend of Doctor Who Sale.

What CD’s are Out of Print This Week?::

Fifteen Minute Drama Tease: Dark Gallifrey: Morbius Pt. 3

Interview/Production Interviews: Dark Gallifrey: Morbius Pt. 3

Randomoid Selectotron: BUCKUP: The New Counter-Measures: 5. Who Killed Toby Kinsella?

Big Finish Release Date Schedule: The Eighth Doctor Adventures: The Lucie Miller Adventures Series 2 Dark Gallifrey: Morbius - Pt. 3: 20/06/2024 The Seventh Doctor Adventures: The Last Adventure Pt. 2 - 25/06/2024 Torchwood Soho: Restoration: 27/06/2024

What Big Finish I was listening too today: Do Go On podcast. Blimey, my Big Finish backlog is now enormous. Just haven’t been in an audio drama mood.

Random Tangents: Stephen Noonan is a supplier of cheese.

2 Likes

I’m assuming this is meant to say 14th Doctor. But also, - what a way to make that story’s hyperbolic reaction be resurrected! :grimacing:

2 Likes

PODCAST NEWS:

• Nothing of consequence

ANYTHING ELSE

Sales: Weekly Deals:

What CD’s are Out of Print This Week?:: The Seventh Doctor Adventures: The Last Day Pt. 2

Fifteen Minute Drama Tease: The Seventh Doctor Adventures: The Last Day Pt. 2

Interview/Production Interviews: The Seventh Doctor Adventures: The Last Day Pt. 2; Torchwood Monthly Adventures: The Restoration of Catherine.

Randomoid Selectotron: BUCKUP: The Monthly Adventures: 215. Fiesta of the Damned

Big Finish Release Date Schedule: The Seventh Doctor Adventures: The Last Adventure Pt. 2 - 25/06/2024 Torchwood Soho: Restoration: 27/06/2024

What Big Finish I was listening too today: Lamenting my final days on Google Podcasts….and listening to a break-down of ‘The Fast and Furious Franchise’ on the Do Go On Podcast.

Random Tangents: Nick really, really likes SPAM. I can honestly say I’ve never had SPAM in my life. Like…is it that bad? Or average? Or just bland meat?

3 Likes

SPAM is blended, spiced, canned meat. I have never tried it. I live in fear of SPAM.

4 Likes

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, Wonderful SPAM!

6 Likes

It’s delicious.

6 Likes

PODCAST NEWS:

• No plans for more Stargate as the amount of sales vs. rights costings just won’t make it work.
  • The David Bradley Unbound approval was surprising and BF may consider applying Unbound to other Doctors.
  • There are currently no plans to put older series of the 4DA’s into digital download collections (ala 8DA’s).

• Due to unavoidable delays Gallifrey War Room Vol. 3 has been delayed to November 2025, meaning Vol. 4 is delayed to November 2026.
  • Cover art for Torchwood Monthly Adventures: 87. The Hollow Choir is out.
  • Cover and story details for The War Master: Future Phantoms is out. (Also holy shit, how are there 11 of these boxsets? I still remember exactly when the first one was announced. I was watching The Keepers of Traken while dogsitting and got fish and chips for dinner. No one asked you for this memory, but you got it anyway).

ANYTHING ELSE

Sales: Weekly Deals: Happy Birthday: Lalla Ward!

What CD’s are Out of Print This Week?:: -

Fifteen Minute Drama Tease: The War Master: Future Phantoms

Interview/Production Interviews: The War Master: Future Phantoms

Randomoid Selectotron: BUCKUP: The Monthly Adventures: 101. Absolution.

Big Finish Release Date Schedule:

• Torchwood Soho: Restoration: 27/06/2024
  • Dark Gallifrey: The War Master Vol. 1 - 02/07/2024
  • Torchwood Monthly Adventures: 87. Decadence - 11/07/2024

What Big Finish I was listening too today:

Random Tangents: A lot more discussion of cheese. I now feel like some cheese and crackers and the shops are closed, so I’m mildly miffed. A discussion on the sad passing and obscure acting roles of the legendary Donald Sutherland.

5 Likes

An idea I’ve liked for a Doctor-led Unbound is a scenario where the Fifth Doctor survives the events of Caves, and goes down a darker path for it, becoming disillusioned with the universe and seeing himself as the one to - in his own eyes - set things right, becoming more of an authoritarian force than the chaotic good he previously represented even with the best of intentions, with Peri being the one who needs to bring him back to his senses, or bring him down outright.

Whatever sort of thing Big Finish come up with will doubtlessly be different, but I hope exciting. imo Doctor of War was a huge misfire and we’re yet to actually see what the new David Bradley stories will be like.

9 Likes

I’m not sure we need any ‘darker’ Doctors though. What is there that’s new to be done with that?

But then I’m not entirely sure where else Unbound stories can go - variations on a ‘darker’ Doctor have been done a lot already with David Collings and Michael Jayston and Colin’s version of the War Doctor (which I thought was a singularly uninspired route to take the Doctor). Dark Doctors have even cropped up in Gallifrey.

6 Likes

Shame about the Stargate releases. I rather enjoyed them.

3 Likes

I feel like there’s still plenty of avenues to explore there, but setting that aside Unbound is a weird one, because “What if” Doctor Who sounds like ripe pickings, but because of how free the series is to do basically anything by nature, it’s hard to justify why a story has to be Unbound rather than a standard adventure. This is something I feel the original releases in the range even struggled with, and to an extent Doctor of War too. I feel like the best ideas for the range are the ones that move away from the Doctor, but then you probably have a bunch of variations on “what if the Doctor died”.

8 Likes

I will say, after Disco, Restoration of Catherine, Art Decadence, and End Game all having great covers…the Hollow Choir cover just looks uninteresting by comparison.

And I only mention all of them since Disco as they all feature the actual Torchwood emblem within the covers.

5 Likes

PODCAST NEWS:

• A Victoria Waterfield recast may be in the works (I heard it as being very ambiguous, so I don’t know if it is actually news or a hint or just a “Who Knows?” situation).

• The Doctor Who: Season 25 Collection blu-ray boxset is announced. It looks amazing! Also marks McCoy as the first Doctor with all his stories released. And the second season to not have a specially made trailer :frowning:

ANYTHING ELSE

Sales: Weekly Deals: The Companion Chronicles: Sale!; Torchwood: Norton Folgate!

What CD’s are Out of Print This Week?:: The Fourth Doctor Adventures: 6.9 The Thief Who Stole Time; Torchwood Special Releases: The Archive

Fifteen Minute Drama Tease: The Second Doctor Adventures: Raven

Interview/Production Interviews: The Second Doctor Adventures: Raven

Randomoid Selectotron: BUCKUP: The Monthly Adventures: 169. The Wrong Doctors

• Torchwood Monthly Adventures: 87. Decadence - 11/07/2024
  • The Lost Stories: Deathworld - 23/07/2024
  • The Lost Stories: Operation: Werewolf - 24/07/2024

Random Tangents: Benji’s favourite 2nd Doctor story is Tomb, pre-recovery of The Enemy of the World. Least favourite is Dominator’s. In terms of missing episodes Nick would love to see, it would be Web of Fear or The Abominable Snowman. Wasn’t favourable to The Space Pirates as a child.

10 Likes

PODCAST NEWS:

• No plans to ever do Rodin or the Terrible Zodin as no story would live up to it.
  • Big Finish don’t plan on announcing surprise releases, because that would ruin the concept of a surprise. Go figure.

ANYTHING ELSE

What CD’s are Out of Print This Week?:: Special Releases: The Sirens of Time Redux;

Fifteen Minute Drama Tease: Novel Adaptations: Goth Opera

Interview/Production Interviews: Novel Adaptations: Goth Opera

Randomoid Selectotron: BUCKUP: The Monthly Adventures: 232. The Middle

Big Finish Release Date Schedule: The Lost Stories: Deathworld - 23/07/2024 The Lost Stories: Operation: Werewolf - 24/07/2024

Random Tangents: Both Jodie and Mandip said yes the moment they were asked. Jodie insists on buying everyone the morning coffee. Mandip and Jodie clearly hate each other. (Genuinely, if you get a chance listen to their mini-interview in the podcast, they clearly are very good friends and love hanging with each other).

11 Likes

Listened to this one myself yesterday and the imterview was so fun! Good to know recording has already been underway too.

4 Likes

PODCAST NEWS:

ANYTHING ELSE

What CD’s are Out of Print This Week?:: -

Fifteen Minute Drama Tease: The Lost Stories: The Long World.The Lost Stories: The Long World.

Interview/Production Interviews: The Lost Stories: The Long World.

Randomoid Selectotron: BUCKUP: The Fourth Doctor Adventure:: 6.6 Subterranea.

What Big Finish I was listening too today: -

Random Tangents: Something something sausage rolls.

4 Likes

Addendum from the comments of the original thread:

There’s no immediate plans for Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole and John Bishop to return for the 13DAs but hopefully they will

No plans for Rodan to return bc the rights aren’t owned by the BBC they’re owned by Anthony Read’s estate but Briggs said he will look into it

On his blog, Tim Foley said he’s back writing some more BF tho he’s only back for a wee while as he has some theatrical shows planned for next year

Some release dates have been revealed:

Death and Life of River Song: Last Words - 6th August

Torchwood: End Game - 8th August

Morbius The Mighty - 13th August

DG: The War Master Part 2 - 15th August

5 Likes

I saw Tim Foley’s show Driftwood last year. It was absolutely amazing!

3 Likes