Rutans vs Sontarans: Peace at Last (Release Discussion)

Rutans vs Sontarans: Peace at Last – Available 16/07!,

On the precipice of peace it stands…

After the destruction of a major stronghold, the Sontarans propose something extraordinary. More extraordinary still, the Rutans say yes. The Doctor, Charley and C’rizz are on hand to watch history being made.

Yet history has other ideas. A plan that has taken centuries is about to come to fruition. The Melmoth is returning.

Peace at Last
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
0 voters
3 Likes

I quite liked this, although I feel maybe we could’ve done with an extra part? I think it did wrap it up nicely but felt a tad rushed towards the end. I liked the story itself a lot, wish it had been fully focused on that maybe

8 Likes

I really liked this story.

I can’t get over the fact that they gave C’rizz a love interest sort of and then killed them off. Why is this a trend for him. Why do they torment him so much :skull: The Big Finish abuse goblin[1]


  1. Link to what this is referencing lol ↩︎

9 Likes

Wanted to ask people who already listened - is Shakedown: Return of the Sontarans in any way connected to this? I saw people online saying that the Sontaran on the cover looks like he’s from Shakedown. Maybe a passing reference, like Miss Brown in Dust Devil?

7 Likes

As far as I’m aware no, but there’s always a chance I missed it :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

There was a line where the eighth Doctor said:

DOCTOR: Woah you’re a Sontaran! Like from the direct-to-VHS movie Shakedown: Return of the Sontarans (1994)

But I could be reading into that being a reference.

:wink: as far as I can recall, there was no reference, but the Sontaran does look similar!

6 Likes

Oh that ending I feel ill…

5 Likes

This was covered in a recent article in DWM - Sean Longmore tweaked the design of the Sontarans and Rutans for each cover so they would be more era-appropriate. Since Shakedown is the only existing piece of wilderness years visual media featuring the Sontarans, he took some cues from that for their design here. Definitely a very cool detail!

10 Likes

ohh that actually makes so much sense! Thank you for sharing, that was really interesting

5 Likes

The full set of official alt covers !

8 Likes

I will always be in love with the 1996 logo

8 Likes

Loved this one! I listened to it first thing this morning but I was a bit bleary and didn’t feel like I took it all in properly, so I’ve just done a repeat. Everything from the prior episodes is tied up very neatly, but I think this also stands alone nicely as an individual story - the arc stuff, perhaps a bit surprisingly, only really figures into the last fifteen minutes or so (but it’s a super cool fifteen minutes, especially the Melmoth-Doctor fakeout, Melmoth’s breakdown in the TARDIS - Paul McGann can really do guttural screams of anguish - and of course the final scene). The first three-quarters were also really good, textbook Tim Foley in terms of the all-round excellence of the character work, worldbuilding, themes and imagery, as well as the willingness to eschew obvious or crowd-pleasing moments in favour of something far more considered and interesting. He also really, really nails Eight - when I occasionally complained about his characterisation not feeling right in the Lucie and Liv/Helen runs this is the version of him I was comparing to, occasionally serious but usually very cheeky and, most importantly, with obvious emotional intelligence. The C’rizz focus was welcome too, he’s a character who has occasionally felt a bit muddled over the years but this one leveraged him to great effect, and Conrad Westmaas didn’t miss a beat (he also doesn’t sound any older, how does he not sound any older?! It’s been 20 years since he was a regular companion and it might as well have been yesterday!). Charley gets the least attention here, but it’d be remiss of me not to mention how great India Fisher is, as usual, and Charley does still get a few interesting and amusing moments even though she’s not in the foreground in this story. Honestly, it’s difficult not to rate this one with my Eight/Charley/C’rizz fanboy hat on, they’re three characters who are very special to me and it’s just a joy to still be getting new stuff with them all this time later, even more so when it’s as fantastic as this. Even restraining myself a little on that front, this is still a thoughtful, emotional, surprising, intelligently written and fantastically acted ending to a series which has been all of those things consistently over the last few months, truly superb. If Big Finish want to do a third one of these (or attempt something similar with another monster or monsters), I’ll be very much on board. And it goes without saying but I’ll say it anyway, I’ll be extremely onboard for anything more with Eight, Charley and C’rizz!

8 Likes

They can’t do a 3rd one because they wouldn’t be able to name it anything else /j

5 Likes

This truly is the main obstacle to a third series, what do they call it? Big Finish can’t just switch the names around again here :laughing: I’d personally just go full B-movie cliche and call it Sontarans Vs Rutans 3: The War Continues or something along those lines. The other thing you could do is add a third party, maybe Sontarans Vs Rutans Vs Ice Warriors?

I am loving the prevalence of monster-focused spin-offs we have at Big Finish these days, other than this there’s also Zygon Century and Planet Krynoid, the former of which I can personally attest is fantastic and the latter of which I’ve heard great things about. There’s also Daleks Vs Cybermen next year, which I am very excited for but maybe also a little disappointed it seemingly isn’t going to be doing the anthology, multi-writer approach these other series have done to such great effect.

5 Likes

Sontarans vs Rutans: Tokyo Drift

Sorted.

8 Likes

If they continue with the poetry theme, season 3 can be “Sontaran Rutan Verses”

9 Likes

Go the Alien/Aliens and Predator/Predators route and call it Sontaran vs Rutan

8 Likes

Just listened to this. What a stunning story! Truly extraordinary work from all concerned. Tim Foley has really delivered on this. A perfect counterpoint to Betrayal at the House of Sontar. Additionally, to tie together the threads from Rendition and Grave Moon so effectively, without it feeling trite? Yet he managed all of this and made it seem effortless.

Yes, this was an exceptional release.

9 Likes

A great conclusion to this series. Tied together the loose ends, had some thematic depth and a couple of good twists, and the tension grew naturally, and C’rizz got a good arc.

8/10 = Very Good

5 Likes