Peladon Tales

Post-script - The Monsters

I completely forgot this book had a section on Peladon and only remembered when I went to read the chapter about Vortis. Here’s some pictures:








3 Likes

Just started the Peladon boxset! Really intriguing start too, sadly I had that cameo spoiled for me a while ago. I quite enjoyed the story, some emotional weight behind the death of the Ice Warrior too I found. I thought this was an anthology but it very much felt like a part 1…

4 Likes

Do check out my Peladon thread when you’re done :slight_smile:

Peladon Tales

5 Likes

Plugging a thread within that thread, @deltaandthebannermen?

7 Likes

Oh no, his dementia worsens with every passing day…

4 Likes

Oh my god! I thought I was in the ‘currently listening’ thread!

7 Likes

I really liked The Poison of Peladon. River and Alpha Centauri are camp characters so put together its camp mayhem and I love it! This is a great set so far. The intro music though sounds like Torchwood at parts but also like God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen :sob:

5 Likes

Just finished The Death of Peladon. While this set is good, I do wish they did more, and maybe had them be more interconnected? Isabelda was such an infuriating character!!

2 Likes

Some more artwork I stumbled across for The Monster of Peladon:

7 Likes

The Truth of Peladon was probably the highlight of the set for me, thought that was just really really great.

3 Likes

I’ve completed every Peladon TV story now! (if I say it that way it makes it sound more impressive lmao)

Can absolutely understand the love for Peladon, just a fantastic setting, the blend of the medieval trappings with intergalactic politics is brilliant, and the casts and intrigue of both stories is just great!

10 Likes

A mini review of Glorious Goodwood as a little epilogue to my Peladon adventures.

There is no record of how the Royal Beast of Peladon managed to traverse the universe to get to Goodwood race track but maybe that’s a lost story for another day…

2 Likes

I think I enjoyed Ordeal a little more than you, though we are both agreed that…

…the murder of Lord Ixmari was a shock (I thought that Harfair had been tasked to kill him but thought she would be thwarted. How wrong I was! I really liked Lord Ixmari too. A really different (yet believable) take on an Ice Warrior. Great work (and a lovely performance by Nick Briggs).

…the cameo by Tennant was a surprise and a delight. It’s so typically Doctor Who that our well meaning hero is actually, in part, responsible for setting calamitous events in motion. Shades of (though very different to) The Face of Evil.

On balance, this was a great start to the series because it beautifully reintroduced Peladonian society and culture, whilst reminding us of the tensions between tradition and progress. There were also nice hints that, though the Federation is not a force for evil, Federation impact on Peladon is not entirely beneficial and may even be at the cost of ordinary Peladonians. Oh, and it made me care about characters that I didn’t expect to care about.

Rest in peace, Lord Ixmari. :cry:

4 Likes

The Poison of Peladon was fantastic! It’s always a delight to have Alpha Centauri in a story (gotta love ‘em! :blush:) and added River Song too! This felt like a full blooded extension of the televised stories and introduced a new Arcturan ambassador - much to my delight as I have a real fondness for the design of the original Arcturus.

I’ve always been an enormous fan of The Curse of Peladon and all the wonderful delegates. Monster, I find enjoyable but frustrating as it does recycle and squander much of the magic of its predecessor. I’m happy to say that Poison does a much better job (in my opinion) of continuing the story. It feels richly nostalgic yet also fresh and fun.

Oh, and…

Aggedor! :grin::heart_eyes:

6 Likes

The Death of Peladon was fantastic! My favourite so far! Sixie slotted perfectly into the political environment of Peladon. It felt tonally spot on for the televised stories and carried on beautifully from both Ordeal and Poison. I was hooked from the very beginning. Loved the call backs to characters from the televised stories. Loved the setting and the escalating sense of things spiralling out of control. Bonnie was as good as ever. My goodness, this is a fantastic box set.

C’mon now BBC/Bad Wolf. When we finally get Doctor Who back on our screens again, can we pretty please have a return to Peladon? Long overdue and I’d love to see what they do with it.

5 Likes

Oh, and just think that since they now film in Wales, there are some amazing castles to stand in for the Citadel. Castell Coch has been used a few times (Heaven Sent being a beautiful example), then there’s Raglan (used during Merlin), Caerphilly (The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People) and a number of others within easy reach. Peladon could look sooooo good today!

5 Likes