Peladon Tales

Thought I’d set up a thread to track my little holiday to the medieval theme park of Peladon (and hopefully convince @shauny to make a badge for it…).

I’ve watched The Curse of Peladon and I might be mad (quiet at the back) but I’m going to listen to the narrated soundtrack version too with the lovely Katy Manning and the novelisation audiobook which is read by David Troughton. I’m working my way through the DVD VAM and will do the episode commentaries too, as well as Toby Hadoke’s Happy Times & Places podcast about the episodes.

Phew. And after all that I’ll crack on with the Companion Chronicle, The Prisoner of Peladon.

Anyone’s welcome to join me on this little trip. :smiley:

10 Likes

Two questions:

1. How much effort do you reckon it takes to bully @shauny into making badges?
  2. What do you think is the best way of going about it?

/j (well /hj, after Heroes and Monsters, Time Lord Fairy Tales has my eye)

9 Likes

So I listened to Episode One as a narrated soundtrack and Katy’s narration is lovely although the cliffhanger ends up being a bit rushed as the narration needs to explain the mild comedy around Jo saying ‘See you later’ to King Peladon before rushing through to the statue falling towards the delegates!

Listening to Toby Hadoke’s commentary for this episode now (and I may have to purchase the WhoTalk commentary for this one too - they’re always very good).

5 Likes

11-Doctor-Who-The-Curse-of-Peladon-cassette

Pretty sure I also have this somewhere, so might add that into my mad little project (why am I doing this - I’m already doing lots of Doctor Who ‘projects’! There’s not even a badge yet. I really hope @shauny takes pity on me…)

7 Likes

Wrote a quick review of The Curse of Peladon.

4 Likes

Finished Hadoke’s first episode commentary and thought I’d have a listen to Jon Pertwee reading the abridged novelisation (I remembered it was part of this release, which is free on Spotify Premium):

I’m so glad I did. It is so wonderful listening to Pertwee telling the story. His voices for Alpha Centauri and Arcturus are glorious and I can’t wait to hear what he does with the Ice Warriors.

But there is a music sting used in the first 15 minutes or so which is lifted from an 80s story and I can’t place it yet and it’s bugging me. I’ll have to see if it is used again or rewind and make sure I identify it.

4 Likes

Also, the novelisation describes Centauri as turquoise and a ‘shimmering hexapod’. It also describes Centauri as changing colour, like a cuttlefish, depending on its mood/emotions adding to the cephalapod vibes already riffed on with the tentacles and octopoidal eye.

3 Likes

I listened to the second volume of Tales from the Tardis (Mainly for some McGann-narrated short stories) and I too think Pertwee would’ve been a great audiobook narrator.

3 Likes