Naming of the three major eras

With the season count being reset and the BBC insisting this is a new era I have two suggestions for how we should be naming eras going forward

Classic, the original 26 season run (potentially with the TV Movie)
Revival, the revived series from Rose in 2005 up to The Power of the Doctor in 2022
Post-Revival, The Star Beast onwards in 2023

Simple makes a lot of sense, but I have another suggestion

At first there was just Doctor Who, but eventually it got renamed to Classic with something else taking its place that many of the original people said wasn’t as good, they called this “New Who”. Therefore the newest era should be called “Diet Who” as this mirrors the phenomon of Coca Cola becoming New Coke and Classic Coke, Diet Coke was the next new drink they launched.

This has been a weird ramble lol

9 Likes

I still refuse to call it New Who - it’s nearly 20 years old now!

I will continue to refer to it as the ‘modern’ series.

But I like your terminology so I may well start adopting that, especially as we get further into RTD2.

7 Likes

I’ve seen people suggest Neo Who, Disney Who, and The Whoniverse. I’ve seen some suggest we call the upcoming era New Who, and rename New Who to Medium Who

I kind of like Who+

5 Likes

I like how they’re split on here: Classic, Revival, Modern

6 Likes

It’s going to create a bit of confusion basically whatever happens I think…

Merge it all I say as an agent of chaos - season 40 is coming in less than a month.
No categorisation needed :sunglasses:

10 Likes

What about Stone Age Who, Bronze Age Who and Iron Age Who (sorry, old folks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)?

Or maybe it could be Retired Who, Young Adult Who and Newborn Who?

Or Wobbly Set Who, Dated CGI Who and Big Budget Who?

Or The-One-With-The-Long-Scarf Who, The-One-With-The-Sand-Shoes-Three-Times Who and The-One-With-The-Sexy-Lead Who?

Or Pre-RTD Who, RTD Who and Post-RTD-That-Is-Really-RTD-Again Who?

It could be anything. Pick your poison!

8 Likes

Yep I currently classify it as: Classic, Revival, Modern.

Then in many years time when it gets relaunched again on VirtualReality Streaming direct to our brains in 4D we can shift Modern Who to be that, and old ‘Modern’ will change to be something else!

7 Likes

Think with the way they’re splitting it, it’d be:

The-One-With-The-Long-Scarf Who, The-One-With-The-Sand-Shoes-Two-Times Who and The-One-With-The-Sand-Shoes-Again Who?

2 Likes

I would be all for calling it season 40, but that neglects the multiple series with 8 and Charley before 9 took over, and I think that run, as a continuation of Who, is important enough to be counted

5 Likes

If we are going to add Big Finish then where do we stop?
Books, comics, stage plays, BBV movies?

I might be an agent of chaos here, but that might be too chaotic even for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

That’s a good point actually, thanks!

I still think of them as classic and new were 14th and 15th as part of the new era.

But I think that it is probably best to think of Eatch Doctor as an era with the only “problem” being the wilderness years.

5 Likes

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? (joke)

5 Likes

Vanilla Who
Diet Who
Who Zero?

2 Likes

Surely it should be some sort of British product that should be used and not an American drink :sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Tea
Tea
Tea?

8 Likes

Fair point:
Marmite
Squeezy Marmite
Marmite with Peanut butter

9 Likes

Now I want to try Marmite with peanut butter, haven’t tried that combination before :grin:

Australian K-9 would then be Vegemite?

5 Likes

Exactly. It works because Vegemite is practically inedible! Also, they really do sell a Marmite and peanut butter mix:

3 Likes

Looks good, now if only Marmite was sold this side of the North Sea…
I first encountered this delightful yeast-y spread when I was travelling in Australia, it was Vegemite I tasted first - so there is something special about that for me. But… having had Marmite in the UK, I have to agree that that is the superior variant :+1:

1 Like