My big list of things to add to the site

Agree 100%, completing stuff & earning badges is fun but first & foremost I want to enjoy it. The badges are just cool extras. I would never complete something just to earn a badge[1], it has on occasion tempted me to try a range I might not have considered but that is all.


  1. & if I do I don’t get a badge, yes sock puppet theatre I am looking at you! ↩︎

13 Likes


This is my sedate pace… /lh

Thankfully, most of these were stuff like Tardisodes and Strax Field Reports, which only take a couple minutes each at most. So I’m not burning out just yet. I was seriously considering trying to get through 365 hours of DW across the whole year, but I’ve already realised how futile that is going to be.

I would say that I would start slowing down just on the number of stories I’m completing, but as @shauny and @N_Squared showed me just now, there’s lots of potential for it to spike up even more…

7 Likes

I’m even less engaged with the completionism aspect - I actively don’t log things if I can’t make any notes worth writing on my spreadsheet. It’s given me some interesting challenges (Seriously thinking about the qualities of Strax Saves the Day or the BBC Bedtime Story), but since I can’t possibly squeeze anything out of the TARDISodes, they don’t count for me.

7 Likes

I had trouble rating the tardisodes (and a couple of the other minisodes) for the same reason. Like it’s one minute, there’s basically nothing worth rating. There’s even less with stuff like Yaz’s Case Files - they’re just listing off facts.

I decided to rate them anyway, partially because of the completionism aspect, and partially because I felt that there was still something there. My rating system for minisodes like that did end up being a bit different than it is for standard episodes, but I did have the same issue that you did.

8 Likes

Rating super short minisodes and clips is tricky, for sure.

I tend to adjust for it in my own head. So a 3/5 rating for a minisode differs compared to a full-blown serial I’ve rated 3/5, for example, even though the site obviously doesn’t and can’t make distinctions. Idk if that even makes sense, but it does to me.

10 Likes

I think we all do this. My ratings for the K9 series are pretty low except for a couple of decent episodes - but their higher ratings are relative. A 3/5 for K9 is nothing like a 3/5 for a Doctor Who story.

10 Likes

Extremely true. I have completed stories because of a badge (like the companion introduction badge), but that was because it gave be a fun long-term project to do — and, excitingly, it introduced me to a wider range of the Whoniverse than I might have sought out on my own. And it got me reading the DWM comics because I loved them so much!

11 Likes

SmeGuide if you will

4 Likes

How it feels knowing I watched Blake’s 7 last year and just added all my ratings and reviews from memory so I don’t have to watch it again and join in the great “blake 7 added” debate

6 Likes

I’mma say it again: Let’s add The Avengers!

3 Likes
6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Reply to Reviews?