Significantly, though, it wasn’t a BBC-made series. And Carnell appears in both Corpse Marker and Kaldor City alongside B7. Where do Steed, Peel and Gale appear in Doctor Who and in what context? Carnell is a fully fledged character involved in plot.
I feel you are just being pedantic now, I also feel we get it. You don’t like the changes to the site that have literally just happened & rather than wait to see how the change to stats[1] will work you are trying to make a point in a rather childish manner.
I didn’t want to comment further but this is a fan site, created by Shauny, assisted by some hard working mods. It is not run for profit, it is run for the love of Doctor Who.
If the addition of Blake’s 7 is such an issue for you, which it clearly appears to be, cancel your patron. Constantly raising examples to prove some kind of point doesn’t help anyone. We can all make a choice whether to use this site or not.
I know we should respect all opinions here, but this has all got blown up out of all proportion.
Now I am off to watch some Blake’s 7.
because it seems to be quite clear that for you the impact on your stats & badges is the big issue ↩︎
Among some other appearances, there’s a short Iris Wildthyme story (that I haven’t read, for the record) where Steed has a pretty major role (although he isn’t explicitly named within the story itself).
I should also say that B7 arriving on the guide has been a long process of begging, pleading, bribing, kowtowing, worshipping and showering @shauny with gifts. This didn’t happen overnight. This was hard work!
I agree. And personally, I am really excited for this - especially for the Big Finish stories to make it on to the site. I have been listening to the audios as I watch the show and have wanted a place to catalogue them as well as read reviews from other B7 fans.
That wasnt even related to the whole Blakes 7 thing, I just genuenly womder if some of this should be included. I dont think that SNW example counts as “random cgi debris in the background” isnt even inteded as a cameo. But Time Lord Victorious does include a shirt as a story
I think that it is important to know that we are learning and making new decisions all the time to make this site as good as it can be. I don’t think that the T-shirt would have been added if we added it now but we don’t remove stuff if it is not necessary.
It is a site with a lot of stories made with a lot of love from mostly @shauny and in the end it is supposed to be fun. There is no perfect definition of what should be on the site because it is impossible to make one for DW and that is okay. No one is forcing anyone to watch stuff they don’t like and everyone is free to use the site as they please.
And regarding Star Trek. As @shauny have said it is getting it’s own site and will not be on this one.
I’ve actually genuinely suggested both of these at some point hahaha. My offer is still open, Shauny just has to give the slightest signal and I’ll be off putting together a BF Sherlock spreadsheet. I generally think everything that’s part of the “Worlds of Big Finish” boxset should be included, the difficulty with Holmes is just that the series isn’t technically spun out of Doctor Who like Vienna or Dorian or Graceless etc.
But also like c’mooon we’re already using the Briggs Holmes as the character’s pfp, so we might as well right? (I’m actually of the opinion that we should confusingly have multiple Sherlocks on the site but that’s besides the point) I’m ready for the lengthy discussions on whether to include the book and stage play adaptations or not!
If we could have an academic argument, I dont think this is correct. And if nothing else it could help people understand why this is controversial (as you said learning to make the site better is always good). I dont feel that strongly about Blakes 7 specifically, more thay it appears to be a findemental shift that actually could matter if taken further.
Until today, I think every story on this site falls under one a very simple set of rules:
A story must be fiction AND either)
Be explicitly and officially produced under the Doctor Who umbrella/universe (duh)
Include a charicter/location from the above
Be an origonal production which includes a charicter from #1 or (recersivly) (#3), such as the Lucy Bradshaw books spinning off the Leftbridge-Stewart books (anither example of this)
There’s seemingly an implicit “no fanfiction” rule, but otherwise I think every story on this site could be defined by that. Yes Ive pulled those rules out of nowhere, but its just one formal definition of “the most forgiving/exspensive interpritation of a shared universe, but crossovers dont bring in an entire pre-existing universe”. (Even if this isnt Tardis Guide’s rules, it is A set of rules for what is Doctor Who. So it is possible to defone some)
But with Blake’s 7, there’s seemingly no way to define what should be on this site without either:
Adding a huge amount of definitively not Doctor Who classic British television like The Avengers
Saying “and also Blakes 7”
Hence the feeling that its totally arbitrary when it wasnt before. I mean Shauny mast have had some standard (even if its not defoned) if it took a long time to convince him to add this. Either Blakes 7 is added “just becouse” or a dozzen other things arnt.
The reason this matters to some, is that a lot of this site emphisizes completionism. The homepage gives you X/Y for every range, the stats page opens with X% complete for every medium, the charicter tracker and badges exists, patreon benifits enable easier completionism goals. You dont have to engage with Tardis Guide like this and few actual truly want to 100% the site. But if whats on the site is arbitrary than what is it we are completing? If what’s on the site is just classic BBC sci fi (because thats almost certainly the reason behind the cast/crew overlaps woth Blake 7) than why am I hear? Im a Doctor Who fan not a fan of that other stuff. Thus it feels like Im losing a fan space I enjoy.
None of this is inherently the way things should be done, but Ild be surprised if anybody is unhappy with this for another reason. Some are saying people are upset for nothing as “changes” are promised, but even if the stats page was the only issue “changes” is hardly a gurantee of “good changed”. And without feedback as to what userd like/dislike how can the changes be informed?
The thing is, I get what you are saying, and I actually have argued against B7 for some of the reasons. But I lost that argument, and I think that is fine, especially since there are going to be ways to filter the stats to not have to deal with B7 in them. We already have stuff that doesn’t come close to what I would define as Doctor Who—like written stories about a noodle man who meets someone who was in a Who short story. That is not DW to me, but it is to other people. Same with B7, it is not DW, but it is for some people. With the upcoming stat tool, I think that it is fine.
I think that the Whoniverse is too big to complete for anyone, and I think that a much better approach is to complete one character or a Range at a time, but that is my personal way of viewing things…