Music - the one stop music topic

Not an artist I’m particularly familiar with, but I’ve been noticing myself gradually getting out of touch with newer music. Even Light sounds pretty good, in any case.

1 Like

Absolutely I do!

I have loads of musicals I have only listened to the soundtrack of that I know pretty well: Be More Chill, Bonnie and Clyde, 9 to 5, & Juliet, Billy Elliot, Miss Saigon (although I have seen filmed versions of a couple).

I used to watch that version of Into the Woods on repeat and love it. I have seen a live version performed by a professional youth theatre (with Prince Edward and Sophie in attendance). I love Bernadette Peters. But I do like the Disney version too - it’s pretty faithful to the stage version.

So favourite musicals:

Rent will always be my number 1 - utterly adore it.
Everybody’s Talking About Jamie
Little Shop of Horrors
Hairspray
Blood Brothers
Five Guys Named Moe
Kat and the Kings
Snoopy
The Lion King
Billy Elliot
Starlight Express
The Greatest Showman
Moulin Rouge (the film - haven’t managed to get to the stage version yet).

And so many more!

1 Like

Here’s one I enjoy, but I’ve never even listened to the other songs in the musical.

(And it does have John Barrowman in it…)

+1 for making it slightly Whoniverse-related :smile:

I remember initially watching it for entirely non Doctor Who reasons, and then recognising John Barrowman, too…

I like a lot of music but when I listen to music it is often music from Eurovision, 90s britt pop (most often Oasis) or 90s pop hits (Aqua, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls (loved the giggle) and other stuff like that).

3 Likes

Not normally a Eurovision fan but this should have been a Bond theme

I did mention listening to a lot of music. I haven’t listened to too much Oasis, but do like Wonderwall, at least. I’ve listened to plenty of bands from the uk, just usually not the 90’s, and sometimes not from England. (Supertramp, Moody Blues, Beatles, Slade, Planxty, Silly Wizard, Super Furry Animals… )

I did love the whole Spice Up Your Life scene. I think with Aqua, I’ve mostly heard Barbie Girl and Doctor Jones…

2 Likes

Good to have Bat For Lashes back

1 Like

I’ve got a very patchwork music taste, mostly due to growing up with primarily christian music, which I stopped being into upon leaving the religion myself, and that left a big gap that’s only gradually being filled as I discover stuff organically & rebuild/rediscover my taste from the ground up.

Marshall Verbsky and Luke Westaway are now definite favorites of mine that I keep going back to, despite neither having a ton of music released. Semler is also great, though I haven’t heard all of their music.

I enjoy musicals as well; my favorites currently being The Fantasticks (new off-Broadway cast album specifically), In the Heights (the stage version), and the still-in-progress EPIC: The Musical, a sung-through musical theater adaptation of the Odyssey being currently released in a series of EP concept albums.

There’s quite a few artists I only know one album from, but absolutely love that album—the examples that immediately come to mind are AURORA’s The Gods We Can Touch, and Preacher’s Daughter by Ethel Cain. The recently released Velvet Tones album by Velvet Midnight, an album of jazzy covers that I initially discovered on the performers’ YouTube channel, is also really nice.

Weird Al and twenty one pilots are probably the artists I still listen to fairly regularly that I’ve known the longest.

Denise Chaila I accidentally discovered online a few years ago and quite like a lot of her songs!

In a similar vein to Weird Al (but predating him by decades), Tom Lehrer is hilarious. Moving in the opposite direction timeline-wise but still in the comedy genre, Bad Lip Reading has some seriously good stuff, especially the recent Axe-Assassin Albertson album which, while filled with BLR’s typical bizarre comedy, includes some incredibly evocative stuff about the dystopian future created as part of the project’s lore.

For the last six months or so I’ve been vibing/rocking out to the Beatles more than anyone else (including a good chunk of the music of their solo careers, thanks to a friend of mine, which I think I actually prefer to most of the music they released together).

And as of more recently still, I’ve been deeply enjoying Jazz Emu and ABBA!

2 Likes

Tom Lehrer’s great. I think all of his songs can be downloaded over at https://tomlehrersongs.com/ these days, too.

Definitely enjoy the Beatles, too. If you are checking out their solo careers, definitely make sure not to miss the non solo things they did afterwards. George went and did The Traveling Wilburys, which is pretty much the best superband ever.

Paul got together with Youth to form a band called The Fireman at one point and they did an album called Electronic Arguments, too, aside from the stuff he did with Wings…

2 Likes
2 Likes

man, this song gets stuck in my head SO often… lovely musical

1 Like

Yeah. It’s a great song, and I’m always up for listening to Julie Andrews…

1 Like

6 Music Festival starts tomorrow. Flashback to this, Dave Lister meets Doctor Who.

https://twitter.com/BBC6Music/status/1236715766415790081

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

The BBC 6 Music Festival was brilliant. I expected Young Fathers to be good. I’d seen The Smile before so knew they would be good. What I didn’t expect was how joyous Gossip were. I’m old. I saw them live a couple decades ago. Didn’t realise how much I had missed them. Beth Ditto is :fire: