Movie time

6 Likes

Wow. I loved I Saw the TV Glow and Gillian Anderson is amazing. Huge fan of surreal, retro slasher/horrors, sexual awakening, final girl type films. I’m surprised this isn’t an A24 release. I heard a lot of studios turned it down for some reason (not sure about A24 or NEON, which have similar films) but to me it looks great.

6 Likes

Going to watch Doctor Who: The Movie tonight.

4 Likes

I cannot believe this… I’m watching Morbius right now (don’t ask i just love to laugh at ‘bad’ movies) and there was a Doctor Who reference…

Some guy: How’s your pain today? From 1 to 10
Matt Smith: 11

Get it? ELEVEN. I’m speechless. It’s been 30 minutes, and it’s already a comedic masterpiece. Maybe I’ll love it just as much as Madame Web

P.S.: I’m not crazy I promise

9 Likes

I’m not really a movie watcher. I rarely go to the theater, partly because of cost, but also because I live in an area with an excellent library system that has tons of DVDs and I prefer sitting at my laptop at home. I also rarely feel like taking the time to sit down and watch a movie.

This year, I created a Letterboxd account to actually properly track my movies[1]. I’m purposefully not tracking Doctor Who viewing through it[2] because I don’t want it to potentially skew the data (and because I have Tardis Guide for that).

I have been enjoying this experiment so far though. According to my Letterboxd diary, I’ve watched 24 movies this year. While most were rewatches[3], 8 have been first-time viewings. So 1/3 of my movie watching this year have been new (to me) films.


  1. and because the Year in Reviews from there that you guys post look really cool ↩︎

  2. though I made an exception for the TV Movie which is actually a film, and I’ll make exceptions for the Cushing Dalek films if I get around to watching them ↩︎

  3. granted most of those have been quite a while since I’ve watched them ↩︎

3 Likes

Here are the links to my current “What to Watch Next” polls. I’ve got two. The first one is DVDs coming from the library, the second is Disney+ offerings.

2 Likes

3 Likes

It’s been a while since my mum and I were in the same place long enough to watch another Tarvoksky film[1] but we finally got around to Stalker!!


  1. after all they’re not known for being short… ↩︎

4 Likes

That’s so cool and nice write-up. I love Tarkovsky! I loved Stalker :dog_face:, as well as the OG Solaris and Mirror.

3 Likes

Started Carry On Regardless tonight but only watched half an hour before going to bed.

5 Likes

My May in film:

4 Likes

Hopefully June will be fairly full as I’ve got a huge stack I’m picking up from the library tomorrow.

3 Likes

This evening my partner and I watched A Hard Days Night. It’s a really fun film. I’ve watched it loads and still enjoy it. 4.5/5

5 Likes

I haven’t seen A Hard Day’s Night in ages. Personally, I find Help more fun.

4 Likes

Help is good too, but I prefer the simplicity of AHDN. Also I’m a sucker for b&w.

4 Likes

My favorite movie is Memories of Murder

5 Likes

Watched two films today! First: Splatter, an extremely bad (but slightly funny) horror short by the guy who directed Gremlins. Not quite so bad it was good but close. Secondly: Saint Maud, which WOW—low-key at first but very very sad and an ending which… i mean. WOW.

5 Likes

Saint Maud. That ending!!! What the… :face_with_spiral_eyes: It messed me up and scared me to no end. I was not expecting that either.

5 Likes

Surely one of the very best final shots in horror history. Off the top of my head I can’t think of another that has a comparable impact!

6 Likes

I recall Sound of Violence was very freaky, too, but I don’t recall it well enough to remember why I thought it was so impactful. So it probably wasn’t to that degree but I enjoyed it a lot. But yeah, Saint Maud, definitely none hit me hard like that.

5 Likes