Let's make our own Main Range!

New Main Range 35:
Doctor: 5
Companions: Death, Turlough, Tegan

Fifth Doctor is on a boat in the 80s with Turlough when he dies after being eaten by a shark. The Doctor barely notices at first because he’s lost the fishing rod under the lake Five pleads with Death to let Turlough live and Tegan wants him dead.

Turlough spends a lot of the audio play as a ghost and for the first part, nothing suspicious goes on, it’s a regular investigation in a town that previously had a drought; The Doctor decides to go fishing because of the nice weather, Tegan decides to grump about on land because she can’t enjoy the lovely time with Nyssa because she’s gone and the gay snake inside her is causing her to repress this and try being heterosexual so she decides to go on a date with a mysterious local instead, who also sounds Australian.

Eventually The Doctor stops trying to save Turlough and simply gives up, assuming the laws of time make his death set in stone.

Tegan gives them a good talking to and reminds him of Adric. They both start to save Death but as a result, she is bound to the Doctor again and has to help them solve the drought while also not killing people (think C’rizz mixed with Leela for dynamic)

Also the heterosexual love interest that Tegan was with for part of the story is revealed to have been part of a cult worshipping Abaddon and unfortunately the machine happens to implode due to the entire mechanism having been broken by the fishing rod failure in Part 2.

Death looks like she’ll betray them for Abaddon at the climax of Part 5 but she doesn’t; believing in the Doctor, who nonsensically asks them to turn on the machine anyway, after Turlough shouts at him asking to.

Turlough is also slightly in love with Death and chooses to disobey the Black Guardian because A: He was getting on well as a ghost and B: He didn’t want to go fishing anyway.

The Black Guardian vows revenge and this is implied to be why Turlough shouts for The Doctor to turn on the machine.

At the end, after the companions have gone to bed, there is a scene where The Doctor and Death have to make a similar deal again, implying that The Master would have reverted to good due to being in Nyssa’s dad.

It is a rather self-contained audio, other than ties to the Fifth Doctor’s era, other Big Finish Audios containing Death and generally having been made as a tie in to the earlier New Main Range audio “Come along, Death” by @RandomJoke

(Name of audio open to suggestion.)

3 Likes

New Main Range 36 - Culture Shock
Doctor: 5th
Companion: Cerci
Description: The Doctor lands with Cerci on a spaceship where workers toil 23 hours a day. Outraged by this, the Doctor seeks an audience with the leader in charge. Meanwhile, Cerci explores the vessel and is captivated by the sight of a technological world so different from her home. She meets a rebellious worker who guides her to the resistance base, where she joins their preparations for an assault on the leader.

All the while, the Doctor engages in a tense conversation with the businessman overseeing the operation—a refined human who regards others as inferior beings. After a lengthy debate, the rebels launch their attack, killing the businessman and nearly the Doctor as well, if not for Cerci’s protection. The Doctor is left disappointed that Cerci committed a killing without reflection or considering other paths, yet he takes her back to the TARDIS after voicing his disapproval. She promises that she will try to be kinder in the future.

5 Likes

Main Range 37 - A Deal is a Deal

Doctor: 6
Companions: Peri, Frobisher, Death
Set after the New MR8
Description: Peri & Frobisher are a bit wore out from all the Doom or exhausting Adventures they had, so the Doctor decides to take them somewhere more fun for once, sadly the TARDIS seems to go out of control and they land in Death’s Domain once more, but what first seems like a Business where she backstabs the Doctor turns out to be a web of intrigue in the regime of the Underworld.

This works both as a Sequel to New MR 7, as well as MR 35, while also being another Sixie Adventure (we didn’t had one of these quite a while, did we?)

Hmm how about ‘Deadly Fishing’ or is it too on the nose? :thinking:

2 Likes

I was thinking The Young Man And The Shark, so your one is probably better.

Do you think my audio was good? I partially want to write it a bit now.

Also, congrats on the New Main Range’s first trilogy! (Popping open the fizzy squash right now)

2 Likes

If you wanna go with the other Title, then be my guest, although your title isn’t bad at all! And I do think, would love to see what ever you might come up with it when you write it out! :hugs: Good luck with it!

1 Like

I mean I like Turlough but I was picturing some form of Necromanteia when I thought of it; even though reasonably speaking the Necromanteia should come in about 4 of these.

And either way it’s something a VMA with the sensibility of being a present occurring adventure that affects future events would do. The Turlough-haters might even like that premise.

Also I’m already doing another fan audio for that fan audio thingy topic on the forum so… Maybe I’ll start it at some point.

When I’ve got the logistics down on the one I’m doing. So far I’ve been trying to suggest more stereotypical audios here (even though I doubt Big Finish would go near altering established Who history in a modern audio now) because the one I’m doing is a little complicated and I don’t want to get too attached and drop everything to start writing my cool idea from this range.
(Although I would start writing it, if someone else asked of course so I can pretend I don’t want to.)

2 Likes

I might just weigh in with my own thing here, just unconnected to anything lol

4 Likes

She can do no wrong that’s my daughter

3 Likes

New Main Range 38 - Fear and Loathing in North Acton

Doctor: 9
Companion: Rose
Set: in the gap Big Finish are currently using for the 9DAs

Description: Today is a big day, the new Pinnacle Shopping Centre is opening and Mr Gailbraith is stressed. What should’ve been a routine job is getting out of hand. A mysterious new foreman with a penchant for meddling, numerous unexplained disappearances and not to mention the strange smell coming from Level 8 of the car park.

Luckily, his supervisor is due to survey everything only he’s different and seems to be more northern than he remembers, not to mention he’s now accompanied by a blonde girl he’s never seen before and the question on everyone’s lips seems to be Doctor Who?

7 Likes

Be kind, that’s my first proper piece of writing for fun I’ve done in about 2 years

2 Likes

Same here this thread has bought my love for creative writing back

3 Likes

I’m the person in the main range who does seemingly unconnected stories until you realise that The Forge is in all of them

6 Likes

New Main Range 39 - Save the Date
(how are we on 39 already? The last one I did was 9)

Doctor: 5

Companions: Nyssa and Tegan

Set: After NMR 16: The Room with No Escape

Deacription: The Doctor’s found the perfect spot for Nyssa and Tegan’s first date. It’s a quaint little cafe onboard a space station. When the station is attacked by pirates, the Doctor tries to keep them at bay so the date doesn’t get disrupted. This one’s deliberately fun and lighthearted, because the rest of the arc’s been quite heavy so far

4 Likes

Sounds fun! I’m not sure, have I gotten a niche yet?

Also love the writing! Does Mr Galbraith die a horrible death or am I thinking too deeply into the choice of Doctor/companion duo and linking the premise to other Who books and audios by accident?

1 Like

He’s fine, see if you can guess the main villain lol

1 Like

Autons? Transphobia? The Forge? Concrete monsters?

Meddling Monk? Sontarans?

Word Lord?

1 Like

Main range 40: gallery of curiosities

Doctor: 5th

Companions: Cerci
One off appearances: jago, litefoot & Ellie

Set after MR 36 sequel to MR 20

Synopsis: “Doctor, oh I prefered your previous portrait or was it your future” - The Artist

After recent events the Doctor thinks a trip to Victorian London to see the culture of earth will make Cerci a little more at home and at peace with the talk they had

They go to the local tavern and meet Ellie the barmaid where who’s sitting at the corner why it’s jago and litefoot they all get on swimmingly jago taking cerci under his wing to show her the theatre where he has an art exhibition about to start sponcered by the Capricorn corporation the CC

Ellie litefoot and the doctor stay at the pub where they discuss local goings on mentioning a rumour of a lizard woman solving mysteries with a potato boy and her maid the doctor rebuttals that and says that’s probably a story for another time and they talk more about some strange goings on with people going missing (wouldn’t be jago and litefoot without that)

At the theatre jago and cerci run into the artist who can sence the artron energy off cerci and knows the doctor is involved

…

As the story wraps up the artist is defeated by cerci burning the picture he was trapped in to save Ellie and jago the doctor is worried has he made the right choice in companion or is she going down a dark path

3 Likes

I think what we need to do when a new companion wraps up whoever wraps them up needs to like list each mr that new companion has had in order so we know where the whole story is and can like marathon it :joy:

3 Likes

I have my readied Necromanteia! Should I spoiler warn it?

2 Likes

I think spoiler warn the synopsis just in case :)

3 Likes