"In progress" for collectables and stories gets a bit confusing

This might be only me, but I feel like the “in prgress” feature for collectibles and stories gets a bit confusing. It might be that I don’t use the collectible part of the site, but to me it feels more logical that it is the stories that are in progress and not the collectible.

For instance, I started reading the River Song CYOA book in preparation for next week’s read-along, and I accidentally put the collectible “in prgress” and not the story. This makes it so that I can’t select pages, only percent. To me, this feels strange, especially since the whole book is just one story.

I hope this ramble makes sense to anyone else than me.

9 Likes

I think the in progress for collectables is useful for box sets and anthologies but isn’t really needed if the collectable is just the same as the story.

7 Likes

Yeah, that might be useful for those, but I still feel like it is hard to make progress on those kinds of things in percent. Maybe they can have a status automatically based on the progress of the stories they contain, but not be trackable by themselves?

3 Likes

It’s because the pages aren’t saved against the Collectable, that’s the only difference.

Also: it doesn’t really work for Game books, you’ll be darting all over the place. And my copy doesn’t even have page numbers I don’t think!

6 Likes

In fact for that book we have no page number stored at all. So it would be the same no matter how you track it.

What’s the page number?

5 Likes

Yeah, I know that the percentage will not be right, but I have been adding the number of pages I read just for fun. I think that, in general, it makes more sense to track progress for stories, not collectibles.

I have also noticed that we have started to link to collectibles and not stories in club topics and stuff like that. To me, that feels backwards, since a story can be in a lot of different collectibles. But, as I have stated earlier, I don’t use collectibles, and this might be perfect for everyone else.

4 Likes

I’ve added the page number and now it’s no different how you track it, it works the same.

The reason to track a Collectable is mostly for anthologies and box sets, which actually covers loads of things. And for single stories like this it doesn’t make any difference.

I’ve always done that, so people have quick access to buy it. I’m pretty sure I linked to collectables since day one!

3 Likes

Edit: not day one, day 2 lol

1 Like

I always linked to the story because I always thought it was weird we linked to the collectable…

7 Likes

Interesting, I have always done it the other way. So it was not a new thing; it was just something that I noticed now with the new pretty boxes.

4 Likes

It feels wrong to be on the same side of the argument as you. Am I wrong this time? :wink:

6 Likes

You are both wrong :winking_face_with_tongue:

5 Likes

I don’t think so. We also have @sircarolyn on our side, and I am having a hard time thinking that @sircarolyn and I are wrong (even if @deltaandthebannermen also agrees with us)

4 Likes

We have the BF link on the story page as well. It is the same amount of clicks to buy it from there.

2 Likes

All that has happened is that you’ve finally stopped hiding from the ultimate truth of TARDIS Guide.

Delta is right in all matters.

6 Likes

It never used to, that was a new addition!

4 Likes

Suggested by the fantastic user @Tian

7 Likes

I should give you a pay rise[1]!


  1. from 0 to something more than 0 ↩︎

5 Likes

The thing is, I originally added links to the story pages for the Audio Clubs. But for the recent batch of club threads that I prepared, I noticed that there is a stored template that can be used, and it says you should add a link to the collectable instead, so I started doing that for the future ones. But I do agree that it feels backwards somehow, and I prefer links to the stories directly.

3 Likes

Not before I get one. Honest to god, the performance management in this place is worthy of taking to an industrial tribunal…

4 Likes