Audio Club: Phantasmagoria!

Here is the official thread for the Audio Club: Phantasmagoria!

This is also available for free on Spotify.

Please discuss below - you can start listening at any time and join in whenever you like! Please just add spoiler tags if you’re discussing spoilers.

Participating in the Audio Club will earn you another badge! :medal_sports:

Just for fun, add your rating here:

Select your rating (out of 10):
0 voters
6 Likes

I really enjoy this story and I think it’s my favorite Mark Gatiss-penned story. The atmosphere is perfect, and it easily feels like this could’ve been made for the show. I also feel that Turlough is a bit underused in the series as a whole. While I’ve enjoyed the Turlough/Tegan/Nyssa stories we’ve gotten, I’d love it if Big Finish did more stories that were just the Doctor and Turlough. Really looking forward to listening to this one again.

3 Likes

I love this story:

4 Likes

Ooh, good to hear it has some love, I look forward to listening!

2 Likes

I mean, yes this is great story. Though when I say it’s my favorite Gatiss story, that’s not a very high bar to cross as I’m not a huge fan of his stuff that I’ve consumed thus far. :neutral_face: Not that his stories are necessarily bad, I just find them average.

1 Like

A reminder this is available for free if you have a Spotify account:

(I believe, the free account would mean you could only listen to the tracks in a random order, though I could be wrong).

1 Like

A couple of useful links for when you’ve finished listening:

https://www.tetrap.com/drwho/disccon/5/phantasm.html

Listening to an audio drama in a random order, that’s an interesting idea :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It worked for Creatures of Beauty!

1 Like

Also, I forgot the music from this was released in Big Finish’s early days:

1 Like

Ah, this is one of the ones I can barely remember at all - unfortunately Fifth Doctor stories tend to wash over me without much impact at all. But I don’t remember disliking it, so we’ll see how I really feel after I listen again :rofl:

4 Likes

I think it was an okay story but nothing more than that. Might have been my mood (was up all night yesterday with a daughter with a fever) but I had some problem keeping all the male characters apart. I am not a fan of Turlough and that might also affect my opinion. Liked the final episode felt more streamlined.

3/5

4 Likes

A big improvement on Sirens of Time. The acting from Gatiss & Walliams is a bit hammy, but in keeping with stories from the era I guess. In fact this is similar in tone to The Visitation. I really like David Ryall as the villain, it’s a shame he didn’t do any more BF. Strickson is the weak link, very wooden. Feels like he’s just reading his lines not acting. Overall this is a fun but maybe not that memorable 5th Doctor story.

4 Likes

It’s been quite a while since I listened to this one-

Well, I just wrote out a set of opinions and realized I was somehow confusing this story with The Fearmonger, the fifth Main Range story. Which on reflection is probably a pretty good review of the story.

I re-listened to this one today. While it’s a great improvement over The Sirens of Time I’m still not overly fond of it. There’s some glimpses into Mark Gatiss potentially becoming a great writer to be found in here, and I can understand why he became one of the first ports of call when the new series came around, but unlike Briggs who improved greatly after last week I’ve never felt that Gatiss has truly fulfilled his latent potential as a writer.
4/10

3 Likes

This was the story that gave me confidence, back in the day, that Big Finsih stories could actually be worth buying and listening. Having been completely underwhelmed by the largely-incomprehensible Sirens of Time, this one felt like a proper TV serial. Sure, it has its problems, but for me it’s definitely one of the best of the initial run of stories.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum efficacy - good to have you here.

Phantasmagoria is definitely ‘traditional’ Doctor Who and that’s no bad thing, particularly for a company that needed to appeal to Classic Who fans and make them continue to part with their hard-earned cash.

2 Likes

So, Part 1. Right off the bat, I like the “And now, the welcome return of Peter Davison in Doctor Who.” Now if only it didn’t take them until release #39 to use the era-specific theme. Right from the start the atmosphere of early-1700s England is present and that definitely helps the story feel like traditional Doctor Who, especially from the Davison era having such stories as The Visitation, The Awakening and The King’s Demons. I still have no idea what cricket is all about, it feels like a cross between baseball and croquet. But this too adds to the feel that this is the Davison era recalling his costume and Black Orchid. I do feel that Gatiss plays on Turlough’s cowardice a bit much in the cliffhanger, but it’s effective enough and does a good job at splitting up the Doctor and Turlough.

3 Likes

That’s okay. Lots of us in the UK don’t understand the game either… It goes on for days!

There’s a bit in the Black Orchid novelisation where Tegan tries to explain it to Nyssa and Adric, to no avail.

4 Likes