Hi, my name's Janet

Klaatu barada nikto.

Hello, my name’s Janet and I like Doctor Who. Well, it would be weird if I didn’t wouldn’t it - I mean, joining a Doctor Who club if I didn’t like Doctor Who. That would definitely be a bit mad.

I started watching Doctor Who when Jon Pertwee was stuck on Earth, which shows how old I am. I was watching The Claws of Axos with my Mum and Dad, except that I thought it was Top of the Pops and was wondering why no one was singing. Anyway, it turned out to be better than Top of the Pops and Eurovision combined, so I kept watching and here I am today.

Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison and David Tennant are my favourite Doctors, but I like them all really. In terms of stories, I find I lean more towards classic than NuWho. I rarely watch a NuWho story twice whereas I’m constantly watching my faves from the classic era. The Daemons is the all time greatest episode of Doctor Who and anyone who says otherwise is just plain wrong.

My science fiction interests are not confined to the Whoniverse. I’m a Trekker, and I especially love TOS and VOY (I want to be Janeway when I grow up). Oh, and I love all those black and white B-movies from the 1950s. Basically if it’s sci-fi I’ll watch it.

My other great interest in life is the paranormal. So if you want to talk about ghosts, poltergeists, timeslips and, to some extent, UFOs, then I’m your woman. (Not Big Foot though, that’s just daft that is.) I belong to a local ghost hunting club and have spent far too many nights hanging around spooky old buildings. Have I ever seen anything? Buy me a drink and I might tell you.

Back to Doctor Who, I am a fiend for Big Finish. I’m also a Radio 4 and talking book addict. For some weird reason, I prefer audio drama over television, movies or theatre. Why? Maybe it’s that old chestnut about the pictures being better on the radio. But, yeah, I think I’m single-handedly paying off Nick Briggs’ mortgage.

Anyway, anything else you want to know, fire away.

22 Likes

Welcome!! Lovely to meet you and I hope you have a great time joining here :blush:

I think we’ll get on :grin:

9 Likes

Welcome! I hope you have fun here!

6 Likes

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your stay in the forum!
Lovely story overall :clap: In case you like Star Trek, we have a Thread about it here as well where you can share your Thoughts about everything relating to it!
You can also open up your own Threads about Topics be it Who or otherwise related if you want! But make sure if possible that this thread doesn’t already exist in another Form here (which admittedly can get a bit hard at times :sob:).

8 Likes

Welcome, I hope you enjoy your stay here!

By the way, nice reference to The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)!

6 Likes

If Big Finish is your main source of Who enjoyment, then definitely check out the Audio Club.

8 Likes

Welcome!

It’s definitely up there. Have you watched The White Witch if Devil’s End? It’s not very good, but I think you might get some enjoyment out of it considering your interests. We have a thread on it, too, though there’s no badge. Yet.

6 Likes

It wasn’t great, but dear Damaris Hayman, I love her to bits.

6 Likes

Preaching to the choir here :raised_hands: I adore audio over everything too and I do not want to think about my bank account’s relationship with Big Finish :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: welcome to the site!

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Janet - great to have you here. I am now singing Rocky Horror my head for no particular reason… dammit… :wink:

6 Likes

Welcome Janet!

@deltaandthebannermen and @Doctor_Roo were just saying how they wanted some more members who were born during the Classic era and as if by magic you appear!

I’m looking forward to hearing your opinions :grin:

10 Likes

Preferring the classic series transcends generations. I’m not even 30 and I agree. Welcome.

7 Likes

Welcome to the site! I hope you like it here, we’re all a pretty decent bunch!

What a lovely introduction post!

I’d genuinely find it funny if we’d ever meet someone who decided to join the site but really, truly, absolutely loathed the show! That would make for interesting conversations…

Isn’t it a pity that Classic never did a musical episode? The Gunfighters came pretty close and that song is great - no matter what the haters say. Claws of Axos would have been exciting with musical numbers as well.

Great pick! Not in my Top 10 overall, but definitely one of my favourites from Pertwee’s era.

If Nick sees this, I think he should feel very thankful about this!

5 Likes

Meanwhile I’m relieved that it never did a musical episode.

6 Likes

Well, you know you just have to give me the okay and I shall turn into the random hater instead :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Get me talking about the JNT/Saward era, close enough

3 Likes

RandomEliminatorHaterJoke?!

Uh oh!

3 Likes

Welcome Janet!

Pertwee was my first Doctor, too, although I was only really aware of the show come season 11, and then in the murky world of very earliest memories. I was four at the time, having been born between the transmission of episodes 1 and 2 of Terror of the Autons.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum Janet!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your stay here

2 Likes