Hi... I'm James and this is my theory for the 2026 special

So let me preface this with, I’m not a massive fan of the last two seasons and I would like a nice clean bow to tie up this era of doctor who after the 2026 special. Now, it’s not a particularly long winded theory but it is a little out there.

I’m thinking that we’ll see ncuti once more, with 14, and that they will merge into one and give us the 16th doctor. My issue with 15, is that he lacks the emotional weight of the doctor by not having any of that baggage that previous doctors have had. I think Rose and maybe Donna will both be there to help with this moment, mirroring the bigeneration scene for 14/15. That would also give us one final goodbye between tennant and Donna, and Rose, giving rtd another run at giving them all the happy ending. If the lost doctor thing is the running title, it could obviously go other ways. I hope others here can build on this theory with me and make it make sense.

EDIT : part of my theory I left out is that once 14 and 15 combine, it turns out the whole bigeneration was just the toymakers meddling and it’s undone, making it canon but over and done with. That could also give a definitive explanation to the fantasy heavy story telling and let it stay in the past.

17 Likes

Welcome to the forum, James! That’s an interesting theory!

You say you aren’t the biggest fan of the recent seasons, but which era would you consider your favourite?

6 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum! This sounds like a fun theory! If they do this then I hope they solve Mavity as well :slight_smile:

6 Likes

My favourite was always the tennant era, specifically Donna/10 but as time has went on, moffats full era has become my favourite. I love his intricate, timey winey weaving stories.

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum @JSG1987 - great to have you here. Tell us a bit more about yourself and your fandom.

6 Likes

Well in regards to doctor who, I’ve tried to watch the classics but the format is extreme serialisation and I was not a fan so I struggled and gave up. NuWho has always been amazing for the most part though.

As for general stuff, I’m 38, I have a cat and currently looking after another cat for a friend and they love each other like brothers so that’s fun. I work hard and reward myself with doctor who a lot of time time, or even watching reactions to doctor who. I love our kat and Paula on gallifrey pals.

9 Likes

There are loads of cat fans here. We have two beautiful felines ourselves, Luna and Leia. We have a dedicated thread for cat pictures if you want to share.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for that. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

That’s an interesting theory.

Welcome to the forum!
I’m an Eccleston fanboy but I also love Tennant and Catherine Tate together too.

4 Likes

Greetings and Salutations, James! Welcome to the forum; I hope you have an amazing time here with us! That’s an interesting theory; as long as the episode is fun, I’m happy with whatever we get, honestly! :grinning_cat:

3 Likes

Welcome James. Thanks for sharing your theory. I like it!

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your stay here

4 Likes

Welcome to the Nut Hutch!

2 Likes

Welcome to the best place on the internet for all fans of the greatest show in time and space. I find your theory interesting. We can only hope this era is wrapped up and we get something new after the christmas special

6 Likes

Welcome James! I like the theory - I really don’t expect to see Ncuti again unfortunately. Though the rejoining could be done with Billie and David I guess?

5 Likes

Can’t imagine Ncuti wanting to return either tbh.

5 Likes

Also for me the issue with 14 & 15 returning, & merging to become 16 almost feels like retconning the era of 15, which began with a bigeneration. It wasn’t a proper era, lets bring those two together to go forward.

4 Likes

I guess it is like retconning, yes, but rtd is the master of saying, it is just because it is and I say so. So he could easily make it canon, they keep their memories. :man_shrugging: Make it out that it was all a toymaker thing. Bang wallop, bye fantasy etc…

3 Likes

You’re right though I’m not sure how I feel about that. A small 10 minute cameo from ncuti would be nice to end his era.

6 Likes

When he did his panel at Starfury he had nothing but nice things to say about his time on the show (except for his opinion on how they handled Belinda’s exit, which he decided to say nothing about).

He even said he wants to do Big Finish.

I think the idea that he had a bad time is completely overblown - he left because he was stuck in limbo and wanted to get paid doing other things.

9 Likes