General Discussion for Elimination/Ranking Game

Musicals where the entire narrative is given in verse is fine, but stopping the plot for a musical number is like a bad action film. The scenes are nice, but as a whole the story/plot stops dead for singing/shooting. I just takes me out of it.

2 Likes

That is because Lucie is the best!

4 Likes

I’m Team Evelyn too, largely on the basis that I haven’t heard anything with Valerie :sweat_smile: Maggie Stables was phenomenal in all her stories though, truly an actress who always brought her A-game to every performance, and Evelyn was brilliantly conceived on the part of the writers. For me, her appearance in A Death In The Family is probably her finest hour, along with Jubilee.

4 Likes

Man that one was really hard to choose. I chose Valerie because her audios hold a special place in my heart for when I listened to a boxset during a tough time and it helped me through. I love Evelyn too, one of the few times I was a sobbing mess with audios. But Valerie beats that record out with making me a sobbing mess 3 times. So in a making me cry contest, Valerie wins.

5 Likes

Feels strange to be on the same side as @TrakeniteAdventuress in one of these :joy:

2 Likes

Anyway, Go Valarie!

7 Likes

Thinking of starting one for the master sometime next week, cus i find these games quite fun

5 Likes

Crap. I added The Whisper Men without remembering they were only in one story :sob:
I’m sure it won’t end up mattering, just a bit annoying.

3 Likes

I love the idea of your current game! I’m already having a lot of fun with it even though it’s still so early on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love Harmony Shoal (they’re in two of Capaldi’s best stories), and while Midnight is brilliant, I can’t help but feel the entity returning fundamentally undermines all the mystery and effectiveness

2 Likes

Thank you!!!

3 Likes

Yeah I’d have to agree. Looking at The Well as an individual story, I think it’s one of Ncuti’s best, but with the added context of the Midnight Entity coming back, it really weakens the story in my eyes.

4 Likes

Very funny to me that Swarm is out before Azure, who does literally nothing.

5 Likes

That is a really interesting turn of events.

1 Like

Hard disagree. Even when I rewatched those two Christmas stories, I forgot Harmony Shoal appeared in both. They are possibly Moffat’s least memorable foe.

I don’t see how this works. Midnight is still astonishing TV regardless of the entity returning in The Well. And The Well was a really gripping story regardless of whether it was supposed to be the same entity evolved or not.

I just don’t see why. Both stories exist within their own context and stand or fall on their own narratives regardless. I don’t see how it being the same entity weakens The Well.

6 Likes

Yeah, I mean, I’m a rare Mysterio defender, but even I admit the Shoal of the Winter Harmony is rather weak.

2 Likes

I find mindswap stories pretty creepy, so I thought they were an effective monster personally. Sure, they’re not amongst the greatest of all time, but they get the job done in their appearances. Plus, they gave us that great (or rather, revolting) moment in Husbands of River Song when one of them first opens up his own head.

5 Likes

I hate the effect and, not to go all Mary Whitehouse for a moment but, I thought it was a bit too much for a family show.

6 Likes

That’s fair enough. For me, it’s pretty low down on the list of body horror moments in the show’s history (certainly not up there with the majority of Cybermen stories, or the two soldiers being turned into bouncing balls in The Giggle, for example), but we all have different reactions to things like that.

3 Likes

I was 7 when TRoDM aired, and I thought they were brilliant monsters

4 Likes