Gallifrey - The Audio Series

This sounds great.

2 Likes

It does! Tim Foley is an excellent writer. It’s a shame he’s taking a break from the Whoniverse soon.

3 Likes

I must confess I feel a littls dubious about Dark Gallifrey - I’m not overly sure that ‘wow look at all these evil Time Lords’ is the refreshing idea BF seem to think it is. That said, I’ll almost definitely listen to at least the War Master ones, and if reviews are good, I’ll probably do the rest of them too.

I also can’t be the only one hoping for a Narvin cameo right? :smiling_face_with_tear: (now that would make me listen without hesitation!!)

2 Likes

So far the Morbius one is the only release that interests me. I think Samuel West is going to be brilliant in the role. He’s played it before apparently but I haven’t heard that one.

1 Like

He was in the two-part Series 2 finale of the Eighth Doctor Adventures from Big Finish.

1 Like

I’m super intrigued to learn who the rest of the Dark Gallifrey Sets are going to focus on. The site claims that each set is devoted to a specific ‘dark Timelord’. Morbius and the War Master are confirmed as the first two sets, and I believe based off the trailer that the Bruce Master, Missy, the Monk, and the Nun are featured. However, even if each of those gets their own set to themselves, that still leaves two more. Who do you think/hope the remaining two will be? Rassilon? The Valeyard? The Eleven? Perhaps someone else entirely. Or maybe the last set or two are rather devoted to bringing these characters together as a sort of evil Timelord suicide squad, haha. I’m very excited to see- and to hopefully have listened to enough Big Finish to be familiar with all the characters by then, haha.

1 Like

Depending on how far in advance they recorded these, I could see the Valeyard being one. If so, hopefully a good final story for Jayston to go out on.

1 Like

Just listened to season 6. I really like how you have no idea whether to trust Trey or not, what is she up to, is she really who she claims to be?

Oh and did Narvin just send the Doctor on his mission in Genesis of the Daleks? :grin:

On to Intervention Earth :headphones:

3 Likes

yes. yes he did :rofl:

Sent Valyes didn’t he? It’s been too long since I’ve listened to that season.

He did indeed, without proper authorisation :flushed::grin:

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed Gallifrey on and off. Not a big fan in general though, the “everything is constantly on the verge of falling apart” is irritating to me and is one of several things that seems to unintentionally paint Romana in a really bad/incompetent light, despite her generally clearly being one of the better people on Gallifrey.

Braxiatel is my favorite character in the series and I wish he was featured more lol. Every time he stopped being a regular character I became much less invested.

I’ve heard all the way through Time War 1, and I think A Blind Eye, Spirit, Mindbomb, Disassembled, Soldier Obscura, and The Devil You Know are my favorite episodes.

I used to really like the series (conceptually it’s so cool), but things just kept getting consistently frustrating for me. I’d still like to finish it someday, both because I’m a completionist and bc I’m curious about how the Time War is handled in the rest of it (and Dark Gallifrey sounds RIGHT up my alley), but it may be a while before I get to that :smile:

4 Likes

Series 6 is fun!! I felt like each story did fall apart a bit by the end, but all three started out so cool, and Trey is absolutely one of my favorite characters in the series.

I hope you get more out of Intervention Earth than I did lol, I found it intensely confusing to the point that I had no idea what happened in it once I was done.

2 Likes

Narvin and Ace… Who cares about the storyline?:wink: Joke aside, I know I’ve listened to it before long ago but can’t for the life of me remember any details. Luckily I have time for Big Finish today :+1:
I have the Gallifrey releases up to the first Time War set

2 Likes

I really urge everyone who’s struggled with the stories in the Time War sets to give War Room a go, espeically if (like me) you’re a Leela fan - though it is still in the the Time War, it’s actually taking a more interesting angle on it and it’s finally (finally!!!) giving Leela an interesting set of stories where she gets to struggle against the perpetual choices she has between loyalty to her friends, desire to get the hell away from Gallifrey, and endless otherness from people treating her as less than human.

Personally, I am a Gallifrey: Time War enjoyer, but I also have rewritten it in my head to make it make sense, so ymmv ¯_(ツ)_/¯ but trust me ok. War Room is awesome. and the theme tune is a banger

3 Likes

I just finished Intervention Earth.
The best thing about this has to be Ace, CIA Agent, Sophie Aldred is as phenomenal as ever. The story could probably benefit from an episode or two more to elaborate the storyline. Kind of underwhelming for an Omega returning, also as Omega is introduced so late in the story, he probably shouldn’t have been on the cover and be kept as a surprise. You are not surprised that the followers of Ohm worship Omega because of this.
But an enjoyable listen all the same :slightly_smiling_face:
On to Enemy Lines!

2 Likes

Yeah, I mainly was excited about it for Stephen Thorne + Sophie Aldred, but was extremely underwhelmed.

2 Likes

Not sure if we need a separate thread for Dark Gallifrey (it seems quite different to the regular Gallifrey series) but this sounds great. New trailer -

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1767944512557490524

1 Like

We probably will. I’d say this thread stands for Gallifrey, Gallifrey: Time War and Gallifrey: War Room (and anythingthat comes after War Room). And then Dark Gallifrey gets its own thread, since the more I read about it seems to indicate it’s an entirely different beast.

2 Likes

Just finished series 4 of Gallifrey and the pace settle down by a lot. Do have one question when do they go back to their regular universe?

1 Like